Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
I have no doubt that there are some that will demand this, or perhaps seppuku with a kaishakunin...
At the moment in Japan, seppuku has become out of vogue amongst people with so called integrity. It apparently hurt too much.

01-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #32
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I, too, am very impressed with this admission from Pentax. A couple of months ago, I put off my desire to save up for the K-5 with all the sensor stain talk. But now that I know it was restricted to one batch, I'm totally confident to save up for it again. Now if they could have just admitted they had a very real SDM problem; I'm still never buying a lens with SDM - especially used - until I'm absolutely confident that the AF won't die within the first couple of years. A generous warranty or an admission of problems would do the trick for me.

I don't think most manufacturers realize how transparency can be a good thing in the long run. Yes, Toyota gets crucified (mostly by American automakers and the American press) every time there's a safety recall (never mind the many more recalls that each of the Big 3 have sent out, with little fanfare), but it gives me great confidence in their product, in their seriousness to stay #1. About the only company that seems to think they're perfect yet still increase sales and profits is Apple; yes, I absolutely love Apple products, but they never officially admit when they've done something wrong (well, except for the iPhone 4 debacle, which was pretty hard to hide).

So good on Pentax for following the lead of companies like Toyota. It's bumped up my confidence in them even higher.
01-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My take is that Pentax understood that the issue was a real threat to their hopes for the K-5 as a competitive breakthrough. I'm glad they recognized that and dealt with it--it wasn't obvious that they would.

I kind of wish, though, that they had taken my advice (proffered here at PF pro bono) and accompanied this apology with an announcement that they were extending the warranty period for all current products to three years.
01-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would have been more impressed if they did not mess up the sensor to begin with.

01-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I would have been more impressed if they did not mess up the sensor to begin with.
Stuff happens.

It isn't really the question whether a company manages to completely avoid problems (since this is next to impossible) but rather how a company deals with them.

I too wish that QC would prevent cameras with such sensors being shipped and/or decentered lenses would never reach a customer but unfortunately that seems like an impossibility nowadays.
01-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #36
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
It says a lot about a company when they can own up to faults instead of sweeping them under the rug.
... it wasn't their fault. It says so in their release.
01-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
PENTAX is currently offering free UPS shipping labels for U.S. customers sending in affected K-5 bodies. See K-5 Sensor Stains | Pentax Support. Quote from U.S. service notice (emphasis added):

QuoteQuote:
... To request a free UPS shipping label to use when sending your camera into our shop, please call our Customer Service Department at 1 800 877-0155 (for customers in the U.S. only).
--DragonLord

01-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
At the moment in Japan, seppuku has become out of vogue amongst people with so called integrity. It apparently hurt too much.
It's not completely out of fashion...
01-28-2011, 10:47 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great to hear that Pentax is owning up to this issue very publicly. They could have chosen to go the way of other mega-companies and blamed us for holding the camera incorrectly, then offer us free stickers to hide the stains. :-D
01-29-2011, 08:32 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
THings have changed a great deal in Japan in the last 30 years . . . .
01-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
Yes, Toyota gets crucified (mostly by American automakers and the American press) every time there's a safety recall (never mind the many more recalls that each of the Big 3 have sent out, with little fanfare), but it gives me great confidence in their product, in their seriousness to stay #1.
Really, Toyota is your model for openness? LOL.

But, seriously, I think this apology, plus things like that robot camera, show that Pentax is not arrogant, nor do they take themselves too seriously. While fantastic products like the K5 and Kr show they are committed to continuing to advance already stellar products. This is the type of company I would be comfortable entering into a long term relationship with.
01-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Kudos to Pentax/Hoya for the K5 apology - well done!

I don't know about other parts of the world, but in the US, I think that folks are getting increasingly tired and frustrated with arrogant corporations (BP oil comes to mind - i wonder why :-)) Its not a trend that's going away fast, and Pentax reacting in a public way, shows that they in the market to stay (i hope)
01-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #43
Pentaxian

It really is a good move to accept its own issues, this definitely shows courtesy and integrity to the public.
01-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know if we ought to be all that generous with praises. How important is a sensor in a digital camera again? It wasn't that they messed up on strap rings. Oops. They've done that before too.
01-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This issue delayed my purchase, causing me to cancel my online order. After seeing some of the positive results and comments from those that did purchase one, I decided to buy from a local store with a 7 day return policy. Mine so far is fine, no issues at all, and I spent quite a bit of time looking for an issue. (makes me wonder if I had searched as hard on my previous Pentax and Canon cameras if I would have found an issue in one of them....but anyways, that's a different take on the issue).

It's nice to see Pentax, and most people, moving forward. Once the reminisce of the affected batch is gone, presuming it isn't long gone by now anyways, people can finally comment on what the thing can do. I can understand how frustrating it might be to get a copy that has an issue to then wait weeks for the replacement, but it isn't like there is a system in place to take care of a problem should there be one. This is a leap in camera technology, especially for the money, regardless of brand.