Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This apology goes a long way as far as I am concerned. I purchased my K5 with eyes wide opened and I even talked to the camera store rep about the potential problem before I purchased it. It did indeed have a stain problem., not big, but a problem. My decision was to rather than test all of the cameras in the store's warehouse, which were part of the same lot, I asked the store rep to send the camera to Pentax Canada for repair or replacement.

Kudos to Pentax for coming forward and apologizing for the problems that the stain issue have caused. No laying blames on anyone just a good ole apology.

I can hardly wait until my camera returns so that I can once again return my K10D to its 2nd body role and get on with doing what I enjoy most and that is photography.

01-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm with Bob. I'm quite surprised and very pleased by this forthright acknowledgment of the issue and assurance that they'll make it right. I'll send mine in right after the basketball season ends (until which, I need the high-iso performance.)

01-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #18
Forum Member

People are aware that some products can be faulty. Thy just need to know that manufacturer will stand behind the product in those cases and they need to know that those cases are acceptably rare.
I had K-X and it did not suffer from any blur. I have K-5 and it has no spots nor i notice low light focus issues. My 16-50 works well. Seeing that Pentax also stands behind their products when there is a problem really boosts confidence in the brand.
I hope that all the cameras with stains will be replaced soon and their owners will be able to fully enjoy K-5.
01-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
It would be nice if the same apology appeared on the Pentax USA website soon.
The apology is up on the United States PENTAX Imaging website:
K-5 Sensor Stains | Pentax Support

--DragonLord

01-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
The apology is up on the United States PENTAX Imaging website:
K-5 Sensor Stains | Pentax Support
Thanks for the link.

Nevertheless, I like the bold apology from Pentax JAPAN much more. It is the top message in their news section rather than a "self service" article.

So, seems that if Japan apologizes, they do it right
01-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Why repair? Brand new replacement would be an appropriate gesture when it's their fault.
Read the terms of your warranty. I suspect it will read "repair or replace at their discretion" or words to that effect.
Any manufacturing defect is "their fault".
From the looks of it, they are replacing (for the most part) anyway.
Anyone who has had a product recall on a vehicle will realize that repair is the more common way of resolving manufacturing defects.
My 2004 Nissan was just recalled a couple of weeks ago to replace a potentially defective ECM.
I would have loved it if they had just given me a new truck, but this isn't a realistic expectation.
01-26-2011, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
...People in the States don't necessarily read Japanese. My point is that they sell their equipment worldwide and as such it would be respectful of their customers to post the same message (tranlated accordingly) on all of their websites...
Not to defend wheatfield, but to defend Pentax. Had you cared to follow the link Falcon gave to the English speaking section of Pentax central website, you would have seen that the announcement was indeed in English. I'm not going to argue with you about the quality of some of wheatfields posts (while others are very good), but you have to admit that you yourself look ludicrous complaining that you don't read Japanese...when it was in plain English. Of course all their local representants will publish this in a multitude of languages, but please give them a day or two. It has to start in the heart of the corporation.

Last edited by Douglas_of_Sweden; 01-26-2011 at 05:32 PM.
01-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Not to defend wheatfield, but to defend Pentax. Had you cared to follow the link Falcon gave to the English speaking section of Pentax central website, you would have seen that the announcement was indeed in English. I'm not going to argue with you about the quality of some of wheatfields posts (while others are very good), but you have to admit that you yourself look ludicrous complaining that you don't read Japanese...when it was in plain English. Of course all their local representants will publish this in a multitude of languages, but please give them a day or two. It has to start in the hart of the corporation.
Indeed, Pentax D-A-CH updated their websites with the announcement in German earlier today, and more recently, the same happened for our fellow Dutchmen. It's just about making the rounds now. Glad they came forth with it.
01-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #24
Veteran Member

ok, that's sorted... I now await some clarification on SDM issues
01-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Nothing as yet on Pentax Canada's site., but then again they are always slow with updates. I'm sure it will eventually show up there. It took about six weeks after the K5 was announced that they decided to change the K20D as their flagship camera on their home page.
01-26-2011, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

The optimist says "The fact that there is a public apology means they are on top of the issue and no new K-5 should show the problem."

The pessimist says "They should have provided an image showing regular dust bunnies as well -- highlighting the difference between real stains and harmless dust bunnies in writing -- in order to prevent users from sending in their dirty but otherwise perfect sensors."
01-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The pessimist says "They should have provided an image showing regular dust bunnies as well -- highlighting the difference between real stains and harmless dust bunnies in writing -- in order to prevent users from sending in their dirty but otherwise perfect sensors."
That's actually a good idea. I think we have had our share of nervous K-5 owners posting pictures of regular dust at this and other forum.
01-26-2011, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I heard that there will be a commercial where a Pentax employee will cut his own throat on TV.
01-26-2011, 09:15 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I heard that there will be a commercial where a Pentax employee will cut his own throat on TV.
I have no doubt that there are some that will demand this, or perhaps seppuku with a kaishakunin...
01-27-2011, 03:12 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I would have loved it if they had just given me a new truck, but this isn't a realistic expectation.
well, there is a diff between 2004 Nissan and months old top-of-the-line launch - it's realistic expectation for customer to get replacement in this case. Please note, I don't own k-5.