Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Either way, I think I'm out. I'll write and ask Pentax to get the definitive answer. My camera came from Provantage, in November, with the knowledge that it's a true USA product (not gray market) and covered by the initial 1 year. I'm a couple weeks past that 90 days. I don't know why extended warranties are invalid in some states. That makes no sense to me.

I believe the offer is not valid in some States because those States have laws prohibiting certain contractual obligations, usually touted as consumer protection.

02-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I believe the offer is not valid in some States because those States have laws prohibiting certain contractual obligations, usually touted as consumer protection.

So that means you also cannot buy a Square Trade warranty, a Mack Warranty? I'm sure there were some greased palms involved when politicians came up with that one. Consumer protection. Prohibiting them from purchasing a contract that everyone else can buy. Suuuuuuuuuuuuuure..... Ok.. Whatever..

If I had to guess, the well intention was there to prohibit the box shops from pushing useless extended warranties on consumer electronics. Had one of those once on the only new car I've ever purchased. In order to invoke it, one had to Pay for the initial repair, then file a claim with the warranty holder. That's assuming the Warranty holder was still in business. What possessed me to take this is still beyond me but it's the last of it's kind I ever bought.

I bought a K7 Pentax warranty on ebay when they were being offered at something like $5. I sent it to the new owner of the camera with the understanding that if it needed to be invoked, I would help him with it. I don't remember being able to actually Register the warranty however and it was certainly purchased more than 90 days after the original purchase. Probably a moot point though because shipping the camera around to the different locations would probably cost more than the repair.

02-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #18
Site Supporter

This is a good deal because you are allowed to send the camera in once during the warranty period for cleaning and adjustment, worth well more than $20.
02-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #19
Inactive Account

I'm sure it's a good deal. Problems Typically creep up after the initial warranty expires (current K5 problems aside). I intend the K5 to be my last camera for awhile and think it worth the $20 to cover a broken e-dial for instance, or the mirror falling out of the camera, or.... I'm just trying to find out Who can actually Use it. IF for reasons stated earlier, I Cannot, then it is Not a good deal, I might as well light a cigar with a $20 bill. The end result for the money will be the same.

02-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
Just a thought here...

If you bought using a credit card, check with your cc company as many offer automatic warranties on purchases up to double the original warranty.
02-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #21
Site Supporter

It's out of stock anyway. I have a 7 year Mack warranty and I live in Fl. It's just some warrantys aren't allowed I guess.
02-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery
Is this 2 years beyond the 1 year factory for 3y total, or one additional year for 2y total from purchase date?
02-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
To answer a couple questions, Pentax says the $19.95 extension is good for a camera purchased "from any authorized dealer". So its not just B&H.

However, and this impacts me the most, it is not valid for Florida or Virginia. Does not elaborate.
$20? I paid $99 from Pentax! Argh!
When I asked pentax about not being valid in Virginia, they told be that Virginia sales persons could not sell the warranty, but that you could make use of the warranty if you reside there. I think the wording is very poor and ambiguous.

02-19-2011, 12:58 AM   #24
Site Supporter

As of today, the Pentax 2-year extended warranty is on "back order" according to the notice I received from B&H. I started a thread in "Ask B&H" section about what happens if it is not "back in stock" prior to the expiration of the time window for purchasing it. I'll let folks know as soon a I hear back from them.

The warranty isn't just about whether there will be a problem with the camera. The warranty is peace of mind for any potential buyer of a used Pentax dslr.
02-19-2011, 04:05 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Backorder? How do you backorder a concept and a record on disk somewhere? Pentax does not even send out warranty cards any more, so there is no physical objects to be "ordered".

Before your time expires, I'd contact Pentax; 800-877-0155 or info@pentax.com
If nothing else, you can find directly from them what options you have if the warranty is not available in time.
02-24-2011, 06:02 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
received a reply from b+h that the warranty is back in inventory.... for now... they do go fast... dave m
02-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #27
Inactive Account

This is the conversation I just had with Pentax about these extended warranties.

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You have been connected to Michael C.
Michael C: Thank you for contacting Pentax chat support Jeff , how may I help you?
Jeff Siladi: I just have a simple question about an Extended warranty B&H Photo is selling..
Michael C: sure
Jeff Siladi: My K5 was recently replaced under warranty for the stains on the sensor.
Jeff Siladi: My understanding is, Warranty starts as of replacement date?
Jeff Siladi: In other words, Starts over. Original date of purchase end of october.
Michael C: the Pentax warranty is from the date of purchase, not the replacement date
Michael C: so if it is the Pentax extended warranty, it will not change at all

Jeff Siladi: That clears that up. Can I buy and use the Extended warranty from B&H?
Michael C: it is simply from the date of purchase
Michael C: absolutely
Michael C: I believe they offer the Pentax extended warranty and they might also have there own offerings as well
Jeff Siladi: So if I buy it now, the remaining time on Extended warranty would be 2 years 8 months
Michael C: there is a time limit to purchasing the extended warranty from the date of purchase
Michael C: let me verify this for you, one moment please
Jeff Siladi: Actual delviery date of the camera was Nov 4 2010
Michael C: you should still be able to purchase it, yes sir
Jeff Siladi: For curiosity sake, what is the time limit to purchase an extended warranty?
Michael C: we ask that it be purchased within 90 days of the original purchase date
Michael C: technically, it is ok if it purchased within the first year
Jeff Siladi: Very good as I'm beyond the 90 days no matter how I slice it. Should be good?
Michael C: yes sir, you are all good
Jeff Siladi: Thank you very much for your time.
Michael C: You're welcome Jeff

I just ordered mine. For $20 the peace of mind is well worth it.

By the way, It isn't an electronic delivery. They will be mailing you a card for the warranty. Probably in a huge box.

02-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #28

Pentax needs to get their 'stuff' together, because they told me that the warranty started anew if they replaced the camera.

As for the extended warranty, it doesn't come in a big box, but it did come in a vastly oversize envelope.
02-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Pentax needs to get their 'stuff' together, because they told me that the warranty started anew if they replaced the camera.

As for the extended warranty, it doesn't come in a big box, but it did come in a vastly oversize envelope.
Well, Tonight when my replacement arrives I'll register it (unless they already have) and see what happens. Since you need a bill of sale for service (that's one of the things I had to include in the box), I'm more inclined to believe the original date of purchase. It would be nice to have a consistent answer though.

02-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
When I asked pentax about not being valid in Virginia, they told be that Virginia sales persons could not sell the warranty, but that you could make use of the warranty if you reside there. I think the wording is very poor and ambiguous.
Thanks for getting a better answer to the VA and FL issue. The wording is plain wrong compared to the live answer. I just sent b&h more of my money.