02-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 + k-r pentax 2yr warranty 19.95

Pentax 2 YR EXTENDED WARRANTY f/K5/KR CAMERA 80227 B&H Photo

02-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Any idea as to how soon you have to buy this in relation to the original purchase for it to pertain to your K5?
02-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Singulariter Quote
Any idea as to how soon you have to buy this in relation to the original purchase for it to pertain to your K5?
not sure... but b+h will deliver the warranty after the fact..when the cards/and related info arrive... most likely directly from pentax..... best to check with pentax imaging (in whatever locale one lives in, for me, it would be pentax usa)
good question though !! dave m
02-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link. This is a first for me. I never get extended warranties - period. However, given the reported issues with the K-5 (waiting for mine to be returned as I write this), I think the $20 is well worth it, and I just got done ordering.

Does anyone know if the warranty is transferable should I decide to sell the camera before the warranty expires?

02-03-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Thanks for the link. This is a first for me. I never get extended warranties - period. However, given the reported issues with the K-5 (waiting for mine to be returned as I write this), I think the $20 is well worth it, and I just got done ordering.

Does anyone know if the warranty is transferable should I decide to sell the camera before the warranty expires?
Tom, I'm with you and I almost never buy extended warranties. However, for $20 I think I may make an exception this time as well when I go to repurchase a K-5 (I exchanged my first body and returned the second one).

As far as I know, you can't transfer the extended warranty if you sell the camera (at least that's how it was with the same extended warranty on the K-7 camera bodies as I understood it).
02-04-2011, 04:24 AM   #6
Forum Member

usually it is within 30-days after the purchase of the gear to be covered. However some companies will allow the adding of the extended coverage at anytime prior to the original coverage expiration date. So always check. There is a page somewhere on the Pentax site. In the US I believe it is on the Support~Warranties area or somewhere near to that.
02-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #7

Warranty

I asked well known camera store today how often they had lenses returned under warranty and the response was there is hardly ever any that came back. Dont get sucked in!

02-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bee99 Quote
I asked well known camera store today how often they had lenses returned under warranty and the response was there is hardly ever any that came back. Dont get sucked in!
We're not talking about lenses, we are talking about bodies. Call the store back and ask how many K-5's they've had come back. As I stated, I never go an extended warranty but my K-5 has already been returned for a warranty issue (sensor stain) and with the possibility of other problems, I feel it's worth the $20. Besides, I also understand you get a free cleaning/maintenance check, which is valued at more than $20.
02-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The fact that the $20 warranty is being sold by a for-profit company just abuot guarantees that its worth is somewhat less than $20.

Issues like sensor stain, etc. should be easily discovered within the first year. After that, it's a matter of weighing the risk of a warranty-covered failure × the cost of having that failure repaired. Pentax is betting that it's less than $20; you can take them up on it if you want, but it's a sucker bet since they have more information than you do.
02-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The fact that the $20 warranty is being sold by a for-profit company just abuot guarantees that its worth is somewhat less than $20.

Issues like sensor stain, etc. should be easily discovered within the first year. After that, it's a matter of weighing the risk of a warranty-covered failure × the cost of having that failure repaired. Pentax is betting that it's less than $20; you can take them up on it if you want, but it's a sucker bet since they have more information than you do.
Yep, in fact I bet they knew about the sensor stain issue all along and just wanted to see if we noticed it. And the FF issue. And the WB issue. And the flash issue.
02-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Yep, in fact I bet they knew about the sensor stain issue all along and just wanted to see if we noticed it. And the FF issue. And the WB issue. And the flash issue.
What WB issue?

02-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Does anybody know if this is good for ALL K5 (or Kr) cameras or only those purchased New From B&H?

02-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Does anybody know if this is good for ALL K5 (or Kr) cameras or only those purchased New From B&H?

From what I udnerstand is it's good for whatever camera you register with it - but it must be done within 90 days of the camera's purchase.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
02-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
Site Supporter

To answer a couple questions, Pentax says the $19.95 extension is good for a camera purchased "from any authorized dealer". So its not just B&H.

However, and this impacts me the most, it is not valid for Florida or Virginia. Does not elaborate.
02-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #15
Inactive Account

From what I udnerstand is it's good for whatever camera you register with it - but it must be done within 90 days of the camera's purchase.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
To answer a couple questions, Pentax says the $19.95 extension is good for a camera purchased "from any authorized dealer". So its not just B&H.

However, and this impacts me the most, it is not valid for Florida or Virginia. Does not elaborate.
Either way, I think I'm out. I'll write and ask Pentax to get the definitive answer. My camera came from Provantage, in November, with the knowledge that it's a true USA product (not gray market) and covered by the initial 1 year. I'm a couple weeks past that 90 days. I don't know why extended warranties are invalid in some states. That makes no sense to me.