Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
dcmsox2004's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: rhode island
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,318
K-5 + k-r pentax 2yr warranty 19.95

Pentax 2 YR EXTENDED WARRANTY f/K5/KR CAMERA 80227 B&H Photo


02-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
Junior Member
Singulariter's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago IL
Photos: Albums
Posts: 43
Any idea as to how soon you have to buy this in relation to the original purchase for it to pertain to your K5?
02-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
dcmsox2004's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: rhode island
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,318
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Singulariter Quote
Any idea as to how soon you have to buy this in relation to the original purchase for it to pertain to your K5?
...
not sure... but b+h will deliver the warranty after the fact..when the cards/and related info arrive... most likely directly from pentax..... best to check with pentax imaging (in whatever locale one lives in, for me, it would be pentax usa)
good question though !! dave m
02-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
Moderator
Tom S.'s Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,239
Thanks for the link. This is a first for me. I never get extended warranties - period. However, given the reported issues with the K-5 (waiting for mine to be returned as I write this), I think the $20 is well worth it, and I just got done ordering.

Does anyone know if the warranty is transferable should I decide to sell the camera before the warranty expires?

02-03-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Thanks for the link. This is a first for me. I never get extended warranties - period. However, given the reported issues with the K-5 (waiting for mine to be returned as I write this), I think the $20 is well worth it, and I just got done ordering.

Does anyone know if the warranty is transferable should I decide to sell the camera before the warranty expires?
Tom, I'm with you and I almost never buy extended warranties. However, for $20 I think I may make an exception this time as well when I go to repurchase a K-5 (I exchanged my first body and returned the second one).

As far as I know, you can't transfer the extended warranty if you sell the camera (at least that's how it was with the same extended warranty on the K-7 camera bodies as I understood it).
02-04-2011, 04:24 AM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 95
usually it is within 30-days after the purchase of the gear to be covered. However some companies will allow the adding of the extended coverage at anytime prior to the original coverage expiration date. So always check. There is a page somewhere on the Pentax site. In the US I believe it is on the Support~Warranties area or somewhere near to that.
02-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #7
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Perth
Posts: 10
Warranty

I asked well known camera store today how often they had lenses returned under warranty and the response was there is hardly ever any that came back. Dont get sucked in!
02-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #8
Moderator
Tom S.'s Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,239
QuoteOriginally posted by Bee99 Quote
I asked well known camera store today how often they had lenses returned under warranty and the response was there is hardly ever any that came back. Dont get sucked in!
We're not talking about lenses, we are talking about bodies. Call the store back and ask how many K-5's they've had come back. As I stated, I never go an extended warranty but my K-5 has already been returned for a warranty issue (sensor stain) and with the possibility of other problems, I feel it's worth the $20. Besides, I also understand you get a free cleaning/maintenance check, which is valued at more than $20.

02-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member
mattdm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,964
The fact that the $20 warranty is being sold by a for-profit company just abuot guarantees that its worth is somewhat less than $20.

Issues like sensor stain, etc. should be easily discovered within the first year. After that, it's a matter of weighing the risk of a warranty-covered failure the cost of having that failure repaired. Pentax is betting that it's less than $20; you can take them up on it if you want, but it's a sucker bet since they have more information than you do.
02-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
Moderator
Tom S.'s Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,239
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The fact that the $20 warranty is being sold by a for-profit company just abuot guarantees that its worth is somewhat less than $20.

Issues like sensor stain, etc. should be easily discovered within the first year. After that, it's a matter of weighing the risk of a warranty-covered failure the cost of having that failure repaired. Pentax is betting that it's less than $20; you can take them up on it if you want, but it's a sucker bet since they have more information than you do.
Yep, in fact I bet they knew about the sensor stain issue all along and just wanted to see if we noticed it. And the FF issue. And the WB issue. And the flash issue.
02-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Yep, in fact I bet they knew about the sensor stain issue all along and just wanted to see if we noticed it. And the FF issue. And the WB issue. And the flash issue.
What WB issue?

02-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #12
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
Does anybody know if this is good for ALL K5 (or Kr) cameras or only those purchased New From B&H?

02-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #13
Moderator
Tom S.'s Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,239
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Does anybody know if this is good for ALL K5 (or Kr) cameras or only those purchased New From B&H?

From what I udnerstand is it's good for whatever camera you register with it - but it must be done within 90 days of the camera's purchase.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
02-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
imtheguy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Virginia Beach
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,950
To answer a couple questions, Pentax says the $19.95 extension is good for a camera purchased "from any authorized dealer". So its not just B&H.

However, and this impacts me the most, it is not valid for Florida or Virginia. Does not elaborate.
02-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #15
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
From what I udnerstand is it's good for whatever camera you register with it - but it must be done within 90 days of the camera's purchase.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
To answer a couple questions, Pentax says the $19.95 extension is good for a camera purchased "from any authorized dealer". So its not just B&H.

However, and this impacts me the most, it is not valid for Florida or Virginia. Does not elaborate.
Either way, I think I'm out. I'll write and ask Pentax to get the definitive answer. My camera came from Provantage, in November, with the knowledge that it's a true USA product (not gray market) and covered by the initial 1 year. I'm a couple weeks past that 90 days. I don't know why extended warranties are invalid in some states. That makes no sense to me.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, warranty
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax K20D still under warranty, Pentax Spotmatic II + Manual Lenses (Worldwi Desi Sold Items 2 01-19-2011 10:42 PM
Pentax Warranty sudupoosa Pentax News and Rumors 2 02-21-2010 09:10 PM
Pentax warranty/Creve Coeur Camera warranty--STUCK TOGETHER MJB DIGITAL Photographic Technique 2 08-17-2009 05:22 PM
Best of both worlds....Pentax body w/3yr warranty + Sigma EX Lenses with 4yr warranty brecklundin Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 08-10-2009 08:28 AM
Pls advise what's less bad-Squaretrade Warranty or Mack Warranty? Grimlock Photographic Technique 6 05-05-2009 03:36 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:58 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top