Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2007, 03:55 PM   #16

there is a link above the picture, i know its about personal preference but for the price of a k10d you cant beat it.

10-13-2007, 04:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dancel Quote
is the 40D this sealed?
your live view is useless after this.
BTW, was that a DA * sealed lens also? A DA * 50-135mm perhaps?
10-13-2007, 09:12 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
BTW, was that a DA * sealed lens also? A DA * 50-135mm perhaps?
this guy was using the 16-45 if you read the link above the pic. i think he says that the lens are ok and after washing the K10D with water it was back to taking pics, im not sure how sealed the DA* are but i hope some reviewers do something on how sealed they are. There is a couple of k10d water test around the net and showing off how well this camera is sealed. for me this is the camera that i need i love shooting outdoors all the time rain,snow etc etc.
10-13-2007, 09:22 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
RBellavance for setting rvanatta right on the SDM comment. Beat me to it.

dancel - with no text to show the results of the mud bath, the photo really doesn't mean too much, does it? Do you know the exact differences between the weather-sealing on the K10 and the 40D?

Besides, weather-sealing is not as important to me as it appears to be to others. I have yet to submerge a camera in water and if there is a hurricane or blizzard taking place, I'll likely be indoors.
im actually interested how well sealed the 40D is but i know that the k10d has over 100 seals with the K10D.

this is the Canon 1D Mark II

this is the K10D

10-14-2007, 04:03 PM   #20

40D isn't weather sealed, just a bit more resistant. As DPReview said:

"it appears that while Canon has now weatherproofed the battery and storage compartment doors (water and dust can't enter these compartments when the doors are closed) other areas such as buttons and dials aren't fully weatherproofed as they are on the EOS-1D series"

Canon EOS 40D Preview: 3. Whats New: Digital Photography Review
10-25-2007, 05:52 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Pricing?

So let's see if I understand this right. I can either buy the 40D with their lest expensive image stabilized lens they have for $1,800 or I can buy a K10D for $600 and have $1,200 left to spend on old but superb Pentax glass and have them all stabilized.

Since I shoot in manual 95% of the time and process in raw all the time I will wind up with IQ equal in both setups according to Phil at dpreview. 6fp is not important to me nor is live preview. Wow, this is going to be a hard decision.

Regards,
Ken
10-25-2007, 08:55 AM   #22
Veteran Member

With a quick test use of 40D 2 weeks ago (from a work colleague), I had my conclusion: Not worth getting. Shot in two setting: Marysville fall and federation square art festival

Definitely stronger colour comparing to 20D and revealing more details than predecessors. But still nothing comparing to k10d. Every time I hold the pentax camera, I feel a sense of relief (better ergonomics): the images shine and project REAL colour.

Seriously if there is really a FF coming out of pentax next year spring, I would start to sell all my canon gear.

p.s. I feel strongly that pentax does not produce zooms too well. Primes are definitely excellant but not so much for zooms... Just my personal opinions after using Fa* 80-200 f2.8, Da* 16-50, Da 12-24 ... Canon would have better zooms

10-30-2007, 10:51 PM   #23

No so

The number of seals are dependent upon the number of potential leak sites.

If the Canon is manufactured that it needs only one seal to make it weathersealed, that just demonstrates good design engineering.

I am not saying the K10D is badly designed, just that it is unfair to nominate how weathersealed the camera body is based on the number of seals.

As has been mentioned the D40 is not listed as being a weather sealed camera body.

Crash
10-31-2007, 02:15 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dancel Quote
This is what i call Sealed. (snip) is the 40D this sealed?
your live view is useless after this.

Good grief. Now that is one filthy K10D. So far, throughout many years, I've never dropped a camera. But it can happen. And, if it ever does, I hope the outcome is as good as this.

stewart
10-31-2007, 02:29 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
p.s. I feel strongly that pentax does not produce zooms too well. Primes are definitely excellant but not so much for zooms... Just my personal opinions after using Fa* 80-200 f2.8, Da* 16-50, Da 12-24 ... Canon would have better zooms
Strange you mentions those lenses...
* The FA* was never meant to be used on digital so let's forgive it
* The DA* 16-50.. well lots of people criticize it so I'm not surprised
* The DA 12-24.. well many many people judge this lens as being one of the best very wide angle on the market so I'm quite surprised... Could you give more details of your feelings about this lens? (PM or other forum section is more appropriate I suppose)