Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Popphoto's D40 review refers to K10D

In the latest D40 review of popphoto by Michael J. McNamara, he mentions the D200 ($1200) and the K10D as the biggest competitors:

" • Pentax K10D ($700, street, body only) -- Priced well below the 40D, the 10.2MP Pentax K10D competes on many fronts, including Excellent tested image quality, rugged body with dust and moisture seals, user-changeable focusing screens, metering and exposure controls, and system flexibility. The 40D outguns the K10D in AF speed, low-light sensitivity, burst speed, and resolution (about 10% higher), though the K10D delivers slightly less noise at ISO 1600. The 40D's 3-inch LCD and live preview are features it lords over the K10D (with its smaller 2.5-inch LCD), while the K10D fires back with sensor-based image stabilization that works with all Pentax-compatible lenses. "

Seems to me that a K10D with a 3" screen and live-view with the latest Sony sensor is enough to beat the competition for now. Perhaps update the autofocus h/w.

- Bert

10-11-2007, 09:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

LoL Live View's just a marketing thing. Plus it overheats the sensor faster. There were a slew of 40D overheats on the DPR threads.

2.5" is good enough already.
10-11-2007, 10:04 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I'm amazed that they found the k10 had less noise than the 40d @1600.
10-11-2007, 10:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
LoL Live View's just a marketing thing. Plus it overheats the sensor faster. There were a slew of 40D overheats on the DPR threads.

Perhaps Pentax could go for the Lumix/Nikon implementation, including autofocus. However, all these problems might have been the reason for Sony not to implement live-view. Otherwise, ..... you can always switch it off.

- Bert

10-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by EdZarts Quote
I'm amazed that they found the k10 had less noise than the 40d @1600.
That was my reaction as well, since low noise at high ISO was supposed to be a Canon strong point. I was displeased with the ISO 1600 performance of my K10D, but perhaps I just had a bad sample.

Edit: I see that the 40D full test is now on the Pop Photo web site.

Last edited by GaryML; 10-11-2007 at 05:56 PM.
10-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

LoL Live View's just a marketing thing.
Personally I don't use the live screen even in my point-and-shoot canikon - I chose my ps camera with a view finder which is for my near sighted eyes much better than the back screen, although it has no real "view through the lens finder".

In fact I hate the live screen, it keeps me too far away from the intimacy of a real slr view finder with the target. I hope pentax never chose this hype! Who wants to shoot keeping the camera an arms length away from one self?
10-11-2007, 12:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Personally I don't use the live screen even in my point-and-shoot canikon - I chose my ps camera with a view finder which is for my near sighted eyes much better than the back screen, although it has no real "view through the lens finder".

In fact I hate the live screen, it keeps me too far away from the intimacy of a real slr view finder with the target. I hope pentax never chose this hype! Who wants to shoot keeping the camera an arms length away from one self?
I have the same experience with standard shots, but not in many other situations:

1/ In self timer mode. Often we did put our Panny FZ5 on a rock with its self timer. Then live view is great.
2/ When used not by me. It would make my DLSR (with live view with a proper autofocus function) much more user friendly for my fellow household members. It would mean we can leave the IXUS at home.
3/ When looking through the camera is not possible. I.e. holding the camera above your head in a crowd. Shooting from the hips, stealing a shot etc.

So, no, it is not just a marketing gimmick. It can be very usefull in my opinion.
Come on guys, this is 2007. Technology changes and in this case for the better.

- Bert

10-11-2007, 01:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I take it you haven't seen the new RGB-Res screen of the D3 and D300- All I have to say (and not just me, the room full of people I was in, all camera geeks with various "loyalties") is "Holy crap!" That screen is brilliant- sharp, bright, clear, simply stunning. I hope we see this new screen type filter down to all the manufacturers, because it is worlds beyond any 210,000 dot screen.
10-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hmmmm...

The 40D outguns the K10D in AF speed, low-light sensitivity, burst speed, and resolution

These four items combined are more important to me than these:

rugged body with dust and moisture seals, user-changeable focusing screens, metering and exposure controls
10-11-2007, 04:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Geez..well that does not come as a surprise
10-11-2007, 09:03 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
The 40D outguns the K10D in AF speed, low-light sensitivity, burst speed, and resolution

These four items combined are more important to me than these:

rugged body with dust and moisture seals, user-changeable focusing screens, metering and exposure controls
As for AF speed, remember the review was done with the old style AF drive.
Pentax has already fixed that with SDM.
10-11-2007, 09:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Accuracy is only going to be as good as previously though.
10-12-2007, 03:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
As for AF speed, remember the review was done with the old style AF drive.
Pentax has already fixed that with SDM.
No, the SDM does not really make for faster AF.
10-13-2007, 02:43 AM   #14

This is what i call Sealed.

is the 40D this sealed?
your live view is useless after this.

TrekEarth | K10D Mudbath Photo
Attached Images

10-13-2007, 06:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks...

RBellavance for setting rvanatta right on the SDM comment. Beat me to it.

dancel - with no text to show the results of the mud bath, the photo really doesn't mean too much, does it? Do you know the exact differences between the weather-sealing on the K10 and the 40D?

Besides, weather-sealing is not as important to me as it appears to be to others. I have yet to submerge a camera in water and if there is a hurricane or blizzard taking place, I'll likely be indoors.