Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by time-snaps Quote
Could you kindly point us to the Announcement... can't find it anywhere. Perhaps it was pulled by Hoytax [or should that be Pentoya]... haha
Products

10-18-2007, 12:12 PM   #197
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by digitaldevo Quote
Why doesn't Pentax look into "adopting" the FoveonX3 technology sensor!? The Foveon sensor is honestly the best sensor ever made.
I, for one, certainly don't share this view or the enthusiasm. There are a lot of problem with the current Foveon design. I would choose current CCD or CMOS over Foveon.
10-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #198
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There is a very simple reason why Pentax won't get a Foveon even they wanted to: Sigma has (well I dunno but really it is obvious) an exclusivity deal with Foveon.

Why? Because if any oher manufacturer does get Foveon: the only specificity of Sigma is gone. And it means they'd basicaly ****** up.

So no, Pentax won't get a Foveon neither anyone else but Sigma.
10-18-2007, 12:25 PM   #199
and
Veteran Member

foveon tech is interesting on paper. but the number of real pixels is low and the sensor is small, smaller than aps-c. i think if they could make a bigger sensor then they would, sigma has plenty of ff lenses ready. since their pixels have 3 layers then they should be able to make a normal 10mpix sensor, with each pixel having 3 layers, not just a 5mpix sensor or 4. something

10-18-2007, 12:26 PM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
I, for one, certainly don't share this view or the enthusiasm. There are a lot of problem with the current Foveon design. I would choose current CCD or CMOS over Foveon.
I fully agree with you. Anything but a Foveon.
10-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #201

Geez oh weez, are they coming out with better cameras or what?
10-18-2007, 12:32 PM   #202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Yes. Particularly, the raw color channels in a Foveon design are fundamentally difficult to make as close to narrow ideal red, green, and blue as one can do with the color filters in a Bayer sensor. This leads to noise, which is why the Sigma SD14 only does ISO 1600 in "extended mode".

10-19-2007, 10:37 AM   #203
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Yes. Particularly, the raw color channels in a Foveon design are fundamentally difficult to make as close to narrow ideal red, green, and blue as one can do with the color filters in a Bayer sensor. This leads to noise, which is why the Sigma SD14 only does ISO 1600 in "extended mode".
I am not a big fan of Foveon sensors. I find that the hype out does the performance. Kind of like my posts....
10-19-2007, 12:52 PM   #204
Veteran Member

The Foveon sensor is a CMOS sensor. Three CMOS sensors really. I don't think Sigma has any exclusive right to Foveon sensors themselves. Sigma possibly has some rights to the rendering algorithms in camera for a Foveon sensor or the bundled Sigma Photo Pro post processing software but the sensors themselves I believe if you have the means to buy them Foveon will sell them to you.
10-19-2007, 02:16 PM   #205
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kodak has something new--just to feul the fire--http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=2709&pq-locale=en_US&gpcid=0900688a80720f9d

apparently has monochrome pixels interspersed in the pattern (think rods and cones) for better low light performance
10-19-2007, 07:54 PM   #206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
If I had to sell one of my cameras, I woulc choose the K10D without doubt. it is not a giant leap in image quality (on most images I can't see a difference). It's larger, heavier, bulkier... I only bought the K10D because I had extra money to spend, but I kind of regret it.
Yet, when anyone, including myself, would point out IQ difficulties and improvable shortcomings in K10D image processing - where concerted effort in more efficiently written, and feature laden firmware would help - posted on forums monitored by Pentax execs and customer service - YOU were right there as one of the few to loudly negate anything said.

Even hardware related issues were at least able to be made a bit better with firmware by different algorithms, back-out programs, etc.

You posted so often in so many threads where people had issues that were inherent in K10D design (more obvious in some styles of photography), where your posts basically said the complaints were not worth consideration - that even Pentax customer service pointed out your comments as to show there is no reason to improve the K10D. Even I got an email reply from Pentax customer service linking to one of your responses - and then dismissed my complaint.

Well, even with Ben saying there will be firmware updates, so far there hasn't been any since 1.30, no IQ tweaks, and no added, unexpected (but suggested) functionality since 1.10.

And, now it comes out that you regret buying your K10D?! But, you were the RiceHigh from a parallel universe!!

The K10D is improvable by firmware. There have been many customer desires and suggestions for this. It would be too bad if Pentax has closed the book on the K10D, and are only concerned with the January cameras. Richard Day posted that he's been asked unofficially by Pentax to compile suggestions for a K10D firmware update, so maybe Pentax is beginning to listen to more of a majority of their customers.

I sure won't be able to afford any of the January cameras, so as important as they are, the K10D firmware update is more exciting to me.

Last edited by mutley; 10-19-2007 at 08:20 PM.
10-20-2007, 09:10 AM   #207

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
Yet, when anyone, including myself, would point out IQ difficulties and improvable shortcomings in K10D image processing - where concerted effort in more efficiently written, and feature laden firmware would help - posted on forums monitored by Pentax execs and customer service - YOU were right there as one of the few to loudly negate anything said.

Even hardware related issues were at least able to be made a bit better with firmware by different algorithms, back-out programs, etc.

You posted so often in so many threads where people had issues that were inherent in K10D design (more obvious in some styles of photography), where your posts basically said the complaints were not worth consideration - that even Pentax customer service pointed out your comments as to show there is no reason to improve the K10D. Even I got an email reply from Pentax customer service linking to one of your responses - and then dismissed my complaint.

Well, even with Ben saying there will be firmware updates, so far there hasn't been any since 1.30, no IQ tweaks, and no added, unexpected (but suggested) functionality since 1.10.

And, now it comes out that you regret buying your K10D?! But, you were the RiceHigh from a parallel universe!!

The K10D is improvable by firmware. There have been many customer desires and suggestions for this. It would be too bad if Pentax has closed the book on the K10D, and are only concerned with the January cameras. Richard Day posted that he's been asked unofficially by Pentax to compile suggestions for a K10D firmware update, so maybe Pentax is beginning to listen to more of a majority of their customers.

I sure won't be able to afford any of the January cameras, so as important as they are, the K10D firmware update is more exciting to me.
LOL. That is hard.
10-20-2007, 09:22 AM   #208
Pentaxian

Hard but I can somewhat understand.

If I beleive the VPN thing got way overdone (and other couple problems), it is also true that Roland very often dismissed any problem, just as if this K10D was perfect camera.

Now reading what Roland writes that he somehow regret he bought one is ... well I'd feel bitter. Maybe I'd write it with more diplomacy I understand what Mutley(bird? ^^) means.
10-20-2007, 09:23 AM   #209
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Kodak has something new--just to feul the fire--http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=2709&pq-locale=en_US&gpcid=0900688a80720f9d

apparently has monochrome pixels interspersed in the pattern (think rods and cones) for better low light performance
Sampling first quarter 2008. Mmm maybe the camera would be announced using that sensor but I can't imagine it'd be quickly available.
10-20-2007, 10:04 AM   #210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Now reading what Roland writes that he somehow regret he bought one is ... well I'd feel bitter. Maybe I'd write it with more diplomacy I understand what Mutley(bird? ^^) means.
Make sure you read the original post by Roland in full. I am all for edited quote to cut down the excess, but sometimes, it has the side effect of losing the context.

Roland was saying that he still liked his *istDS very much and that he was thinking he could have bought additional limited lens instead of spending money on K10D as a second body. This would make much more sense that taking the "regret" buying K10D out of context.