Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-23-2007, 12:03 PM   #256
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Next subject...............

Hoya 3 year plan for Pentax:
> Hoya is currently drafting a three- to four-year business plan in cooperation
> with the Pentax management. The plan is expected to be announced as
> early as mid-December after Pentax is turned into a wholly owned subsidiary.
>
> The plan will likely specify the additional profit Hoya believes synergy with
> Pentax will generate.
>
> "I would like to work with top Pentax executives to spread Hoya's proven

> strategies for realizing profit growth," Suzuki said. If Hoya can successfully
> export its strategies focused on minimizing operating costs to Pentax, it
> will become a Japanese trailblazer in the field of mergers and acquisitions.

(for subscribers only)
According to a new 4-pages stockbroker report on Hoya from Pali International, Tokyo (dated Oct 17th), Hoya will keep the Pentax group practically intact over the next three years.

This implies that the camera division will *not* be up for sale during this period of time, I would think, Hoya focusing on better earnings and probably some new product development:

Pali said:

> [...] significant positive contributions to operating profitability from
> Pentax are likely to take some time to materialize
>
> [...] Given the decision to leave major parts of the Pentax business intact
> for the three years following the integration, we believe the benefits for
> Pentax are likely to take longer to realize.
>
> In our view, Pentax is likely to continue to struggle in the DSLR business,
> given the lockhold on the market by the two majors and strong
> competition from the likes of Sony (6758) and MEI (6752) both of which
> are better positioned to spend significantly on marketing.
>
> We think the compact camera market could be more interesting for
> Pentax if it can improve its product design capabilities.
>
> [...] Hoya and Pentax will hold a joint analyst meeting on October 29, 2007.

(entire report is for subscribers only)
Pentax 3-year plan to be announced mid-December: News Discussion Forum: Digital Photography Review

10-23-2007, 12:15 PM   #257
Not Registered

I am inflating a boat to recover the belongings of people jumping ships.
10-23-2007, 12:26 PM   #258
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
> In our view, Pentax is likely to continue to struggle in the DSLR business,
> given the lockhold on the market by the two majors and strong
> competition from the likes of Sony (6758) and MEI (6752) both of which
> are better positioned to spend significantly on marketing.
>
> We think the compact camera market could be more interesting for
> Pentax if it can improve its product design capabilities.
Uh oh. I'm not one to pay too much attention to these "predict the future" threads, but I have to say this DOES NOT sound good for the future of Pentax DSLR.
10-23-2007, 12:36 PM   #259
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I see only positive things: Hoya actually invests in Pentax.

Bad things: what a comment from an investor firm? LOL that one is funny since when financial anal-ysts know about what the write about?

Funny... Some people will really always read things the way they want so they can write "bad news". Pathetic IMO (no I'm not directing against anybody, I'm very general.. coments on Dpr posts included).

10-23-2007, 12:44 PM   #260
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
Uh oh. I'm not one to pay too much attention to these "predict the future" threads, but I have to say this DOES NOT sound good for the future of Pentax DSLR.
These are my thoughts exactly...
10-23-2007, 01:11 PM   #261
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I see only positive things: Hoya actually invests in Pentax.

Bad things: what a comment from an investor firm? LOL that one is funny since when financial anal-ysts know about what the write about?

Funny... Some people will really always read things the way they want so they can write "bad news". Pathetic IMO (no I'm not directing against anybody, I'm very general.. coments on Dpr posts included).
Those finantial analyst doesnt know anything. Lets only pay attention to people posting in forums. All of them have a little CEO built-in that knows how to run companies and to predict movements in the market
10-23-2007, 01:14 PM   #262
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Those finantial analyst doesnt know anything. Lets only pay attention to people posting in forums. All of them have a little CEO built-in that knows how to run companies and to predict movements in the market
I won't say I could do better, I only say those do shit.

10-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #263
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
I have been a Pentax user since 1988.
Ever since I got on the SLR ship named Pentax, it has been declared "lost at sea, all onboard dead" or "will be lost at sea" or "caught by pirates" at least two-three times a year ever since. Now, from where I stand it seems like it is still sailing, and it is sailing better than it has done for the past 5 years.

Take care
R
10-23-2007, 01:25 PM   #264
Pentaxian

Ouch, this is really, really, really bad, folks. Tomorrow I'll sell my K10D and the few lenses I have and buy a - what was it? Sony or Panasonic?
Now I'm sure in few days Pentax/Hoya will exit from the non-profitable DSLR business (after all, they aren't even able to sell more than they can make!) and concentrate their efforts on the highly successful, high margin Optio line.
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
10-23-2007, 01:48 PM   #265
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I won't say I could do better, I only say those do shit.
I would advice you to read your post carefully, it doesnt let you in a good place

The sky is falling!!!!!
10-23-2007, 02:05 PM   #266
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Now I'm sure in few days Pentax/Hoya will exit from the non-profitable DSLR business (after all, they aren't even able to sell more than they can make!) and concentrate their efforts on the highly successful, high margin Optio line.
It is very amusing that Pentax not long ago got the recommendation to leave the low-margin digicam business and concentrate on high-margin DSLR products, which is exactly what they are doing now.

And now they gets the recommendation to leave the DSLR market and concentrates on the low margin digicam products.

This confirms my belief that those firms that make economis forecasts, has hired a monkey.
They have different alternatives written on small notes spread out on the floor. The monkey is blindfolded and has a pen in his hand. They throws all alternatives up in the air, and then the monkey is at the floor and mark one of the alternatives with the pen when they have fallen down.

Now, this sounds like good fun.

Take care
R
10-23-2007, 03:57 PM   #267
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Seriously, those Pali analysts sounds like they don't know much about camera and DSLR business. Their comments are laughable and can be categorically ignored (probably by most camera manufacturers as well). What they said carried no weight and had no implication of potential company direction.

Just look at what they wrote:
QuoteQuote:
Pentax is likely to continue to struggle in the DSLR business, given the lockhold on the market by the two majors and strong competition from the likes of Sony (6758) and MEI (6752)
Wait a minute! Lockhold of DSLR market? Shouldn't it be Canon and Nikon? Sony was outsold in Japan by Pentax before A700 launch; but OK, Sony could be big in DSLR in the future. But MEI (Matsushita / Panasonic)? Panasonic having a lockhold in DSLR market?

So would you care what they write about in the rest of the article?

And if you think those "analysts" are better CEO material, they would be CEO themselves rather than "analysts"!
10-23-2007, 04:41 PM   #268
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Just look at what they wrote:

Wait a minute! Lockhold of DSLR market? Shouldn't it be Canon and Nikon? Sony was outsold in Japan by Pentax before A700 launch; but OK, Sony could be big in DSLR in the future. But MEI (Matsushita / Panasonic)? Panasonic having a lockhold in DSLR market?

So would you care what they write about in the rest of the article?

And if you think those "analysts" are better CEO material, they would be CEO themselves rather than "analysts"!
You mis-read, it was the 2 majors (Canon and Nikon) PLUS Sony and MEI
10-24-2007, 01:51 AM   #269
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
It is very amusing that Pentax not long ago got the recommendation to leave the low-margin digicam business and concentrate on high-margin DSLR products, which is exactly what they are doing now.

And now they gets the recommendation to leave the DSLR market and concentrates on the low margin digicam products.

This confirms my belief that those firms that make economis forecasts, has hired a monkey.
They have different alternatives written on small notes spread out on the floor. The monkey is blindfolded and has a pen in his hand. They throws all alternatives up in the air, and then the monkey is at the floor and mark one of the alternatives with the pen when they have fallen down.

Now, this sounds like good fun.

Take care
R
Exactly
10-24-2007, 01:57 AM   #270
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
You mis-read, it was the 2 majors (Canon and Nikon) PLUS Sony and MEI
But this is also stupid. If marketing money is the thing here, really don't you think Hoya has money enough? Hooo they forgot Pentax is Hoya now.. too bad... When it's good for their comment they say Pentax has been bought blabla, when it is good for their crappy comment they forget Hoya bought them.

Heck... dumb anal-ysts.

You know it isn't only photo market it is everywhere like that. Look at CPUs: Intel does great and AMD does crap -> Intel's stock goes higher and AMD's stock lowers. Normal yeah?
Ok but when Intel does barely OK and AMD dos very well, the downgrade AMD has well because... well because if Intel does badly surely AMD too, no?

If stock market was really based (in practice) on anything objective, that'd be known. Unfortunately it is not, most of the time.