Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-24-2007, 03:18 AM   #271
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
You mis-read, it was the 2 majors (Canon and Nikon) PLUS Sony and MEI
So Matsushita Electrnics (brand: Panasonic) has a better chance to survive in the DSLR field than Pentax? Yeah, I can see that - their L1 was really a market shocker. By giving the Oympus E-330 a total different design, double the price and match it with an extremely expensive Leica lens. Yeah, all my friends got one, it really was the most successful DSLR ever made... Not.
Is it still in production?

Well, they must be offering something more... Oh yes, they have just introduced the L10.
Now, this is a little more interresting. Quite much like the Olympus E-410, but again sold at a much higher price and matched with a Leica lens. No built-in shake reduction (it uses optical shake reduction, Mega OIS, in the Leica lenses that has this technology), some fun auto-modes. Wow! A fantastic camera. Really - if it was sold at half the price it would have been interresting.

But I have to ask, why buy the Panasonic instead of the less expensive Olympus E-410, or for that matter - the E-510 which has built-in shake reduction, and works with optical shake reduction too.

So, I don't see how Matsushita could be predicted to be stronger on the market than Pentax.
It simply makes no sense.

Marketing budget? Yes, they sure have. But they need the right products too!
Their marketing budget didn't helped the L1 on the market...

10-24-2007, 05:59 AM   #272
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
So Matsushita Electrnics (brand: Panasonic) has a better chance to survive in the DSLR field than Pentax? Yeah, I can see that - their L1 was really a market shocker. By giving the Oympus E-330 a total different design, double the price and match it with an extremely expensive Leica lens. Yeah, all my friends got one, it really was the most successful DSLR ever made... Not.

Well, they must be offering something more... Oh yes, they have just introduced the L10.
Now, this is a little more interresting. Quite much like the Olympus E-410, but again sold at a much higher price and matched with a Leica lens. No built-in shake reduction (it uses optical shake reduction, Mega OIS, in the Leica lenses that has this technology), some fun auto-modes. Wow! A fantastic camera. Really - if it was sold at half the price it would have been interresting.

But I have to ask, why buy the Panasonic instead of the less expensive Olympus E-410, or for that matter - the E-510 which has built-in shake reduction, and works with optical shake reduction too.

So, I don't see how Matsushita could be predicted to be stronger on the market than Pentax.
It simply makes no sense.

Marketing budget? Yes, they sure have. But they need the right products too!
Their marketing budget didn't helped the L1 on the market...
I doubt if they were implying survival, just stiffer competition. All the lessers are pretty much
vunerable to extinction, internally or externally, but it doen't mean they won't give it a shot.
10-24-2007, 07:48 AM   #273
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Market success aside, the L1 is a beautiful camera.

It's kind of funny to hear complaints about the kit lens being too nice.

And I really wish Pentax would copy their built-in tilt flash.
10-24-2007, 10:23 AM   #274
Veteran Member

To those people in the know and to those who might wanna share their own 2 cents:

I won't ask about specs, target audience, etc.

All I wanna ask is if Pentax will keep the company image they created recently as being the best bang for the buck around.

Even at the initial launch of the K110D/K100D and then the K10D, their prices were quite reasonable, and I would think that helped a lot in increasing the market share for Pentax. I know I bought into Pentax because of the value I know I'm getting.

Your thoughts about the next batch of Pentax products keeping that same mantra? I would hope that Pentax would price their next round of products competitively.

10-24-2007, 10:56 AM   #275
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Seriously, those Pali analysts sounds like they don't know much about camera and DSLR business. Their comments are laughable and can be categorically ignored (probably by most camera manufacturers as well). What they said carried no weight and had no implication of potential company direction.

Just look at what they wrote:

Wait a minute! Lockhold of DSLR market? Shouldn't it be Canon and Nikon? Sony was outsold in Japan by Pentax before A700 launch; but OK, Sony could be big in DSLR in the future. But MEI (Matsushita / Panasonic)? Panasonic having a lockhold in DSLR market?

So would you care what they write about in the rest of the article?

And if you think those "analysts" are better CEO material, they would be CEO themselves rather than "analysts"!
What I was trying to point out is that every opinion should be respected, even if they come of people who doesnt seem to know too much about photography but might know something about companies. IMO Panasonic and Sony always have been really expensive companies, it is hard for me to remember an item that it was the best bang for the buck coming from them. Nevertheless they still alive and wealthy (call it marketing or call it mafia). The fact is that you go to every Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City etc and there they are. You always find an item of them (I acknowledge that it is harder to find a panasonic dslr thought) so it means that they might not have the best product but they have the rest.

About the CEO stuff it was just a way to speak trying to make some fun. Now seriously, I think that the difference between dslr and P&S profitability has been definitively erased with the K100D and K100D super. I dont see where can you find more profit in a camera like the K100d compared to a point and shoot. I know, I know, the secret are the lenses but now think it twice...if the profit are the lenses what make you think that Hoya/Pentax is not going to become a high quality lens supplier. If I were a CEO that is what I would probably do with Pentax if the whole system is not profitable. But that is only my little built-in CEO giving its opinion.
10-24-2007, 01:02 PM   #276
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
IMO Panasonic and Sony always have been really expensive companies, it is hard for me to remember an item that it was the best bang for the buck coming from them. Nevertheless they still alive and wealthy (call it marketing or call it mafia).
Well I don't know if they are that healthy. At least Sony as suffered quite a bit on a couple markets mainly TV, Walkman-type products and Hi-fi products. Sony might be OK in TV now, I think they recovered a bit but Walkman/Hi-fi they've been knocked hard.
I did respect Sony as a, let's say "reference". Certainly not bang for the buck but like 'it couldn't be wrong". Well that was long ago I'm afraid. Sony lost its reputation.

It's image has also suffered a lot with their crappy copy protection scheme on Audio CDs.

I don't know Panasonic, it a very big group but has a brand, Panasonic does not mean much to me really... Where are Panasonic products? Mmm
10-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #277
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Panasonic is actually doing quite well on the broadcast television end of things. They've made huge inroads into Sony's former stranglehold on camcorders and tape decks.

10-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #278
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
I understand some people's frustration...

Heck, I was frustrated just trying to find some FA* lenses - Tom you know what that is all about! Remember: Hoya is a huge supplier of lens blanks for many companies, including the "big two". That merger only spells major positives, especially for Pentax. Think about it - Hoya can now give Pentax their lens blanks at cost... because they own Pentax...

I cannot disclose other positives in the Pentax camp - I'm aware of what's coming up, but only in the general specs dept.

This I do know for certain: some of the deficiencies will be addressed - especially in the lens department. Granted, not everyone can afford a 400/2.8 or longer, but it's coming!! No I didn't say they're releasing that lens - but the lens selection improvement is coming. You read it here first: come January that news should be released.

Guys, you know I don't believe in conjecture/rumors, etc., but what I said in the previous paragraph is first hand from Pentax USA. I know this, but I am bound to a non-disclosure agreement with Pentax USA... stay the course, and you'll see the rewards of waiting.

Regards,
Marc

I usually do not venture into these rumour sections, but this sounds like very interesting news. Looking forward to January; only 2 months away

A fairly lightweight 400/4 would be fine. Looking forward to the 200/2.8 too.
Great with some people in the know, being excited about upcoming releases.

I don’t really follow the nervousness that sometimes can be seen on forums. Should both Pentax and Samsung stop making DSLRs, and the K-mount die out (highly unlikely); I could just grab a couple of K10’s and be set up for the next 6-8 years.
As of now, I can shoot Iso 1250 and get okay results. If I want more, I can buy faster glass, or otherwise improve my technique. Sure, usable Iso 1600 or 3200 would be nice, and the gear freak inside, wouldn’t mind having 5-6 fps. But I could easily get by with what I have now, and just stock up with more of the same calibre.
(Instead of higher Iso, I might prefer Iso 50 instead.)

Else I could imagine, using the K10 as a second body. And then getting a new K5 as new first toy.

Sigma will also be coming out with a new 70-200/2.8 in Pentax mount. As will Tamron, I believe.

Thanks to Jeffkrol for the subscribers Hoya info. A bit difficult to make clear conclusions out of. We’ll see mid December, will be hard to miss the threads about it
10-30-2007, 08:24 PM   #279
and
Veteran Member

I wouldnt mind a new version of the fa 400 f5.6 as long as it is lightweight and tack sharp at f5.6 400mm f4 sounds like it would be on the large and heavy side. f4.5 is another option.
11-02-2007, 04:56 AM   #280
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My Wish

I would love to see a 10-20 mm f2.8 lens..Now that is something I could really use in several situations...

Ben
11-02-2007, 07:31 AM   #281

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I would love to see a 10-20 mm f2.8 lens..Now that is something I could really use in several situations...

Ben

That might get me excited about wide angle lenses too. Wouldn't it have to be very large though?
11-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #282
Veteran Member

There are several that I would like to see :

A build of the prototype 20/1.4
K 20/1.4 AL

a replacement of the 24/2
FA* 24/2 AL [IF]

a DA* 16/2 would also be nice.

The DA 12-24/4 AL ED [IF] should be a fine lens, still I wouldn't mind more options in the WA segment as well.

Looking forward to seeing what the new year will bring us.

Last edited by Jonson PL; 11-09-2007 at 12:27 AM.
11-08-2007, 05:41 PM   #283
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

Ben
HEAVEN!!
11-09-2007, 04:59 AM   #284
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by txbonds Quote
That might get me excited about wide angle lenses too. Wouldn't it have to be very large though?
Well if you look at the Sigma which is an f4.0-5.6 it is quite large already. It might have to be an 82mm diameter element. I had one when I used Canon gear. It would be huge...
11-09-2007, 05:08 AM   #285
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the latest rumors are true, then Pentax comes with lifeview in the viewfinder.
No full frame and things.

Fiddly lifeview that is absorbing light and is error-prone?
Do we really need that?

Please don't ...