Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2007, 04:33 AM   #391
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
I did now. Certainly the 'rumor' that the 3 long lenses that have been on the public roadmap
for an eternity and which are now over due in not 'news'. The last march roadmap inclusion lead me to expect them for christmas, but that was not to be the case. I would that thought that the technology for designing and making a decent telephoto prime would be fairly well known by now. After all Pentax has selling 200 and 300mm primes for over 40 years.
It is not the design stage that is troublesome, it is Pentax new lens assemblent factory in Vietnam that gives Pentax a real headache. Lenses has been delayed due to issues with the factory, personell and parts suppliers. Pentax are not even making the glass themselves anymore! They are just putting pieces together.

11-28-2007, 06:32 AM   #392
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
It is not the design stage that is troublesome, it is Pentax new lens assemblent factory in Vietnam that gives Pentax a real headache. Lenses has been delayed due to issues with the factory, personell and parts suppliers. Pentax are not even making the glass themselves anymore! They are just putting pieces together.
It seems elementry that if one is to stay in business they have to deliver product in a timely manner. This applies both to Vietnam and to Pentax itself. Consumers won't buy product that is not available. Outsourcing manufacturing to some who is paid 25 cents per hour wages can be a way to reduce costs, but not if the work doesn't happen.
11-28-2007, 07:40 AM   #393
Veteran Member

Tick... Tock... Tick... Tock...
11-28-2007, 08:44 AM   #394
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
Outsourcing manufacturing to some who is paid 25 cents per hour wages can be a way to reduce costs, but not if the work doesn't happen.
The manufacturing of the parts is outsourced and has been for many years, it was long time ago since Pentax stop making their own glass (by closing down their factory in the Phillipines) for example, and they don't make the plastics nor electronics that the lenses are made of.
But the two factories in Vietnam are owned by Pentax, so they have not outsourced the building of the lenses. They get the parts from other makers, and then the parts are put together to a lens in those two factories. Now, it is here where the problem is.
Pentax are of course aware of these problems, and has for months been seeking solutions to increase productivity and quality at those factories. One of the factories is running well, it is the second one - the new one - that is giving Pentax trouble. It only took a year for the factory to be built, and it has never functioned properly. So something went very wrong there and now Pentax are trying to fix something that was broken from the beginning. In my opinion they should just destroy this factory and build a new one, one that is better designed from the beginning, and building this new factory much better. But this may take another year to do.

11-28-2007, 10:12 AM   #395

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I'm sorry Benji, but Billy is right.
These constant "I know something, but cannot tell you, ... but it will be awesome!" are just silly and not very productive.
Just keep quiet, if you are under NDA.

I think you could do us more of a favor if you tell us something about post processing or something like that, share your profound knowledge, as you did a while ago. That would be really helpful!

I disagree. I am very glad Ben is giving a general hint of things to come. The reason is that I I want a reason to be a little more patient with Pentax. I knew I was taking a risk when I went with K10d instead of the Minolta/Sony route (which I had lenses for). The 16-50 2.8 is the single most important lens for me, and now I will wait a bit for the corrections before I replace my 16-45. But I feel better in the mean time.

When reviewing my options last January it sounded as though Pentax would slowly claw back into the semi-pro market (maybe pro) with digital products. Some of this perception I developed was based on their excellent reputation for products and service in the medium format film arena.

I believe that a NDA is to protect detailed specs from competitors. Pentax would love to spread general enthusiasm for things to come. Nothing wrong with this as long as it is not complete smoke. Of course it is up to Pentax to decide what they do not want to reveal and what is allowed to create marketing excitement. I am sure this was communicated to Ben.
11-28-2007, 04:31 PM   #396
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photomy Quote
I believe that a NDA is to protect detailed specs from competitors. Pentax would love to spread general enthusiasm for things to come. Nothing wrong with this as long as it is not complete smoke. Of course it is up to Pentax to decide what they do not want to reveal and what is allowed to create marketing excitement. I am sure this was communicated to Ben.
I totally agree with your statement, but in any case, five of the other seven DSLR manufacturers (Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Panasonic) have already shown their hand this year, at least in terms of products that would compete in the same arena as the K10D successor (40D, D300, E-3, A700, L10). The D300 is scheduled to ship shortly, so Nikon couldn't change any more specs to that camera. Sigma and Fuji have yet to update their offerings, but they are more of niche players in the DSLR market.

A few more "slips" wouldn't hurt, I guess?
11-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #397
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
The D300 is scheduled to ship shortly, so Nikon couldn't change any more specs to that camera.
But the D80 replacement is waiting though...

11-28-2007, 04:45 PM   #398
Inactive Account

To agree or disagree with my posting is the sacred right of every other poster, and I would defend that right whether or not I thought they were irrelevant, speculative, wishful thinkers, barking mad, or giddy schoolgirls.
Rumourmongering can be good fun, as long as you keep in mind that hey its a rumour and nothing more, and it is to be taken with a hefty pinch of salt.
No offence, but some of you guys seem to think that every half baked crackpot speculation or whispered hint is the Word Of God, ch4 v11 from the Gospel according to Pentax.
Or, perhaps I'm an inherently evil person on the payroll of the Satanists over at Canon, or the pagans at Nikon?
11-28-2007, 04:58 PM   #399
JMS

QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Quote
No offense, but some of you guys seem to think that every half baked crackpot speculation or whispered hint is the Word Of God, ch4 v11 from the Gospel according to Pentax.
Or, perhaps I'm an inherently evil person on the payroll of the Satanists over at Canon, or the pagans at Nikon?
Naturally. But you've got the infidels backwards.
11-28-2007, 05:06 PM   #400
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JMS Quote
Naturally. But you've got the infidels backwards.
Just wait till the heathens at Sony unleash themselves!
11-28-2007, 06:01 PM   #401
Veteran Member

To think that there's so much flap from a poster who hasn't even owned a Pentax DSLR.
You can defend your sacred right to post but it says a lot if you don't even have a Pentax... what a joke
11-29-2007, 05:02 AM   #402
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
To think that there's so much flap from a poster who hasn't even owned a Pentax DSLR.
You can defend your sacred right to post but it says a lot if you don't even have a Pentax... what a joke
Now THAT is interesting, to say the least...
11-29-2007, 10:12 AM   #403

Hey Ben, I've noticed that there's an abrupt transition between the grip and the shelf that's just under the shutter button of the k10d. One day, I shot about 1000 pictures and the third finger of my right hand was pretty sore! Have you had a similar experience? If so, could you suggest that the k**d have a more contoured grip in this area?

Thanks,
John
11-29-2007, 05:04 PM   #404
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
But the D80 replacement is waiting though...
You're right, but I would think the K20D would be a definite step above the D80 successor, and will compete with the 40D, E-3, A700, and D300. Just my two cents.
11-29-2007, 05:27 PM   #405

Are you suggesting that the K10 I bought last weekend wasn't a good idea and that I should return it and wait until January??

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I wasn't sure that after all the complaints that have landed on my plate, that I should dump this on you...I will only announce this on this Site...Promise. But come January Pentax are going to drop a very beautiful yet potent bomb on the DSL industry. Yes HOYA are definately behind Pentax and no I am not speculating. I should say "several bombs"..Oh, and I will be speaking at the press conference in Paris for the event...