Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-22-2007, 05:58 AM   #436
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hopey Quote
Hi, i'm new to the forum, but i think i have some interesting info.

I work at the photo department for one of the biggest electronics dealers in Europe, and last week i talked to Jaime Guillén of Reflecta, Spain's Pentax distributor. Of course, being a long time (LX, Z1-P, MZ-S and K10D) Pentax user, i asked him about the rumours, and he assured me the two new cameras will be announced in late January. Then, when i asked him about the leaked specs he smiled and said "...and much more". No more info, he's under a NDA too.

Regarding the DA* lenses, he told me the 60-250 was also scheduled for late January. And they're having a lot of problems to meet the high demand for the other DA* lenses.

BTW, the people who think Pentax is doomed and is going to be scrapped by Hoya, better think twice. We're selling Pentax like hot cookies. We are selling almost as many K100D's as Canon 400D's. And the best selling mid price camera is the K10D by a wide margin over the Nikon D80 or Olympus E510.
NDA.....SchmeNDA..... I am SICK of hearing that! I WANT SPECIFICS!

Here are some stats from flickr: K10D Users: 1,027,392
K100D Users: 1,201,283
K100D Super Users: 51,434
ISTDS 942,016

And another probably 8 million registered users between the other dSLR and P&S cameras. While these certainly aren't Canon and Nikon numbers, they are looking better each day. Still behind Sony and Oly though...

12-22-2007, 12:29 PM   #437
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PaulAndAPentax Quote

ISTDS 942,016

And another probably 8 million registered users between the other dSLR and P&S cameras. While these certainly aren't Canon and Nikon numbers, they are looking better each day. Still behind Sony and Oly though...
that sure makes the K100D Super look like a dog assuming the numbers are anywhere near current. It ought to sell at a 100,000 a month if it was going to keep up the pace. Overall the numbers however show the overwhelming success of the K series compared to the istds models that were around for several years and were underwhelming in marketing success, but not seriously different from the K100.
12-28-2007, 03:18 AM   #438
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Numbers

QuoteOriginally posted by PaulAndAPentax Quote

ISTDS 942,016

I think you will find that the numbers as a result of the new products on offer will bring Pentax up to a very comfortable third or perhaps even higher.

Ben
12-28-2007, 04:45 AM   #439
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I think you will find that the numbers as a result of the new products on offer will bring Pentax up to a very comfortable third or perhaps even higher.

Ben
Geez Ben, spill the beans, now pleaaase

I'm sure Hoya wouldn't be too angry only one month before announcement...

12-28-2007, 05:04 AM   #440
Veteran Member

Ben
Come on Ben. Optimism is great and Pentax does have a good shot at third place in the next year but to think they could go higher is a little over the top. Nikon is making almost as many D3's as Pentax is doing with the K10D. They just upped production of the D300 to 80,000 a month. That alone is 2 1/2 times greater than Pentax's full production. Increasing sales by 100% MIGHT be possible but thinking they could double or triple production is a bridge to far.

Ken
12-28-2007, 05:42 PM   #441
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Come on Ben. Optimism is great and Pentax does have a good shot at third place in the next year but to think they could go higher is a little over the top.

Actually, making it third and staying there would be a nice place to be. In the past couple years, Nikon and Canon are swapping places themselves, and 3rd/4th/... the rest are like playing musical chairs - each time a new model is released, you will see a burst of sales for a few months, taking over 3rd place, until the next manufacturer releases their new models.
12-28-2007, 05:55 PM   #442
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Actually, making it third and staying there would be a nice place to be. In the past couple years, Nikon and Canon are swapping places themselves, and 3rd/4th/... the rest are like playing musical chairs - each time a new model is released, you will see a burst of sales for a few months, taking over 3rd place, until the next manufacturer releases their new models.
The product line would have to get a lot wider and deeper to threaten #1 or #2. You need
a full line of products from the Pro to thte low end consumer all selling like hotcakes.

one or two really good and really successful products won't get you in that orbit.

12-28-2007, 07:25 PM   #443

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
that sure makes the K100D Super look like a dog assuming the numbers are anywhere near current. It ought to sell at a 100,000 a month if it was going to keep up the pace. Overall the numbers however show the overwhelming success of the K series compared to the istds models that were around for several years and were underwhelming in marketing success, but not seriously different from the K100.
Remember the K100D Super is just a K100D with SDM and Anti-Dust. Since there's still stock floating around of the K100D at very low prices (I've seen it under $400CDN body-only, when the K100D Super was still $599 Body-only) the choice was a no-brainer. Frankly, I suspect the aggressive price drop on the K10D killed sales of both of the lower models this fall, and that's more reflected in the Super's stats than the K100D's. It's really a simple choice when the K10D body is available for $50-100 more than the K100D Super body (which was the case from October until Mid-December here in Canada if you looked around a bit).
12-28-2007, 07:40 PM   #444

93 Viewing! Wow!
12-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #445
Veteran Member

well

I've just seen 123 viewing!

Has it been launched?? I can't find the thread!
12-28-2007, 08:21 PM   #446
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mawz Quote
Remember the K100D Super is just a K100D with SDM and Anti-Dust. Since there's still stock floating around of the K100D at very low prices (I've seen it under $400CDN body-only, when the K100D Super was still $599 Body-only) the choice was a no-brainer. Frankly, I suspect the aggressive price drop on the K10D killed sales of both of the lower models this fall, and that's more reflected in the Super's stats than the K100D's. It's really a simple choice when the K10D body is available for $50-100 more than the K100D Super body (which was the case from October until Mid-December here in Canada if you looked around a bit).
I don't think things were much different here. I never seriously considered the K100
as I owned a *istD, and couldn't see enough difference to want one. I could see a difference between the K10 and the *istD, so a got a K10.

The technology is evolving so quickly, that if you want to stay in the front of the pak you
have to switch models often and agressively.

while I have no doubt that on the day it's announced the K20 will be the latest and hottest product on the planet, it's probability of being leap frogged in 6 months is fairly high.

This will go on for several more cycles. Over all the Digital SLR market is proving to be more popular than a lot of folks thought it would be which in turn justifies the R & D and the marketing mudfight.

what just blows me away is Pentax's inattention to delivering a rich assortment of lenses.
I see the camera bodies as sort of a loss leader to suck people into buying lenses which
are a quite stable product that requires relatiavely little R & D.

I am simply boggled that Pentax doesn't have a piece of glass for your every desire available, though some writers have suggested that this log jam will break RSN (real soon now).
Pentax has a long and rich history as an optical company, and the failure of such things as a 200mm prime to appear is just crazy.

they ought to get everything on the road map on the street in the first quarter, and that many more before year end.
12-29-2007, 03:52 AM   #447
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Agreed with your thoughts. Third place is a good spot to be and hold on to by next year, and should Pentax do that, it'll be a big coup on their part. Needless to say, holding on steady to third will also get more third-party manufacturers to commit to making products for Pentax.
12-29-2007, 03:55 AM   #448
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If the couple of comments from Ben and others do materialize, I expect the new roadmap from January to ba just a tad little bit bigger ^^
12-29-2007, 06:37 AM   #449
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
If the couple of comments from Ben and others do materialize, I expect the new roadmap from January to ba just a tad little bit bigger ^^
I am quite certain that if Pentax deliver all that is planned in the next year, they will be able to cover all bases and in doing so, establish themselves as one of the big players in the DSLR race.

Look out Nikon and Canon...Pentax is and always has been the "Pedigree for Pros" from Newton to Lindberg to Demarchellier to Knight.

Canon and Nikon cannot make this claim. Pentax and Pro Fashion has always been synonymous.

Ben
12-29-2007, 08:57 AM   #450
Veteran Member

Look out Nikon and Canon...Pentax is and always has been the "Pedigree for Pros" from Newton to Lindberg to Demarchellier to Knight.
Ben
Shouldn't that be from Helmut to Peter to Patrick to Nick to Benjamin? ;-)