Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-26-2008, 08:15 PM   #586
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
...I just would like the 15ltd to hit the streets...
This lens, I don't understand, given that the 14/2.8 exists.

12-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #587
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
This lens, I don't understand, given that the 14/2.8 exists.
14.8 oz vs whatever the 15ltd weighs. Odds are it'll be about half the weight, and could be better iq. Time will tell...

I often street shoot with my camera, and weight as well as balance and unobtrusiveness matter.
12-26-2008, 10:23 PM   #588
Veteran Member

14.8 oz vs whatever the 15ltd weighs. Odds are it'll be about half the weight, and could be better iq. Time will tell...
Probably smaller, too. The 14mm is not small.
12-26-2008, 10:58 PM   #589
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Quote
Very interesting! What type of flash bracket setup do you use? This would be PERFECT for me and it seems like a lot of other Pentax shooters. Great find!

I'm thinking about using it with the Demb Bracket or perhaps something even cheaper. Basically, I thinking of a setup where the LED is on the hotshoe and the strobe on the bracket. What's easy for you to use?

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Quote
Nino,

What type of flash bracket setup do you have for the LED assist light? And how exactly is your setup put together? They sell those LED lights at my supermarket for cheap so I'm already on it. Now I'm looking for ideas.

I actually saw it at the supermarket last week, checked it out, and inwardly laughed at it because it was so cheap that I thought it was useless. But you learn something new every day.
Here she is, in full evening dress!

I also have a stroboframe

but I like this because its a little lighter and less intimidating.
sure the ChinaTail diffuser makes it look huge but some of the venues really require the little "ceiling bounce" it gives me.

I also have the flash cord which will let me use the LED on the hotshoe and the flash on the bracket, I think its just a little too much at a club event. Most nights I take the K10D but for better venues I use the 20.

12-27-2008, 01:07 AM   #590
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Samsung CEO announced a while back they are developing a different 4/3 type system and their own lenses for it. So I think thats what we'll see from them. Whether hoya-pentax catches this wave or not remains to be seen.
I remember reading an interview with a Samsung top executive saying that they will not enter the 4/3rds system as they deem it a failure. Got a link where they say that they are developing one?
12-27-2008, 02:36 AM   #591

QuoteOriginally posted by Conan Quote
I remember reading an interview with a Samsung top executive saying that they will not enter the 4/3rds system as they deem it a failure. Got a link where they say that they are developing one?
Developing something like micro4/3 sounds better. Hope for 110 mount
12-27-2008, 03:10 AM   #592
Veteran Member

I think the "something like micro 4/3"means just a K bayonet with shorter registration distance, APS-C sensor, no pentaprism and mirror (and maybe no electromechanical shutter).

12-27-2008, 05:56 AM   #593
Inactive Account

247nino>nice tip,but you have already red af-help in the flash on top?
12-27-2008, 06:06 AM   #594
Veteran Member

2010 launch of Samsung's own 4/3

Here's what samsungs up to in 2010:

New interchangeable lens system compact digital camera system on the way news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums

G-1 is HOT. I've been to a forum and its filled with misfit lens owners. All those mounts mostly abandoned in the digital world. Theres going to many different lenses adapted to G-1 and from what i read panosonic is happy about being this platform for lens owners. And remember even though its listed as a "dslr" it isn't. It has no pentaprism viewfinder. I lurk on a G-1 forum because I own misfit lenses too. When adapters for my old canon fd lenses gets made for a fair price I'll likely add a G-1 to see how my old and exceptional 400mm f4.5 stands up on a 2x crop sensor.

Here's G-1 Site I've been lurking on:

The GetDPI Workshop Forums - Powered by vBulletin

G-1 Is HOT. Don't let the $800 price tag scare you. They sell for $500ish out of prodigital2000 in canada at ebay usa. I won't get mine till adapters sell for far less than "$175", so maybe 6 months or so.

And their forum filled with owners of misfit lenses:

4/3rds Cameras - The GetDPI Workshop Forums

QuoteOriginally posted by Conan Quote
12-27-2008, 07:00 AM   #595
Veteran Member

Aren't samsung just following the liveview hype and making an slr with out the slr viewfinder. so its based at people coming from point and shoots as they're used to liveview just without this quality!? pehaps?
12-27-2008, 07:14 AM   #596
Veteran Member

I think they are separating themselves from pentax

New body and set of new lenses with no pentax mount legacy. 4/3 is an open mount system meaning anyone can use it and make cameras for it, I don't understand why samsung wants to create their own unique 4/3, but maybe they are tired of being someone elses "clone" and camera manufacturer for Pentax Logo.

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
Aren't samsung just following the liveview hype and making an slr with out the slr viewfinder. so its based at people coming from point and shoots as they're used to liveview just without this quality!? pehaps?
12-27-2008, 07:39 AM   #597
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree, but Oly's 4/3 cameras are not small and light. The G1 is closer to the mark. The problem then becomes the lenses. There are adapters for Leica M glass, and that solved the IQ and small/light issue, but not the cost unless you already own the lenses. It is interesting that while Leica and Panasonic have collaborated on 4/3 and P&S, there are no Leica lenses out (or rumored) for micro 4/3.

The other thing is that small sensor cameras are getting so good (my Leica Dlux4 makes amazing images - 24/f2!) the advantage to going 4/3 sensor isn't as obvious. Add in the Sigma APS sensor P&S and you've got a very complicated landscape.

One reason I like Pentax is that the K20d is a pretty reasonable camera to carry around with a prime on the front. Now, if Pentax is working on a micro 4/3 body that could use existing primes that might be interesting. But I'd be surprised if that were the case. Seems they're going to stick with Samsung and APS and maybe resurrect the 645D. But I'm not holding my breath on any of it. I just would like the 15ltd to hit the streets...
The cameras are not necessarily small and light (wait, what about the E-420?) but that's largely because you can only make a camera so small while still being useful to someone with normal sized hands. I prefer using my E-330 to my friend's E-410, even though its larger and heavier. The difference is the lenses. The kit lenses are shockingly small, relatively speaking, but the optics don't make any excuses. And my 70-300 is quite a bit smaller and lighter than a comparable 90-400mm zoom on APS-C would be or 140-600(!) on FF. Not to mention that the current 4/3 sensors are far and above any compact's sensor (excepting the sigma in certain situations) in performance. So I'd say there are definitely still some good reasons for 4/3. Some people buy an E-3 just to use the 12-60 or 7-14 (people admittedly more affluent than myself).

On the other hand, for myself personally, that telephoto advantage doesn't mean anything with the K20D because if I crop to the same area as a 4/3 sensor, I've got the same 10mp resolution as the E-3, and if I crop to match the resolution of my old E-330 (which printed large remarkably well) I get even more of a telephoto effect.

Unfortunately, Samsungian, micro 4/3 is not an open standard the way 4/3 is. So Samsung probably couldn't join if they wanted to. I remember reading that statement from a Samsung official about 4/3 being a "failure" and wondering "how many DSLRs has samsung sold yet?" I just really don't think 4/3 is going away any faster than APS-C or full frame.

Last edited by er1kksen; 12-27-2008 at 07:42 AM. Reason: typo
12-27-2008, 08:11 AM   #598
Veteran Member

Thanks!

Good to know Micro4/3 mount is not an open standard like 4/3 is.

As you are olympus savy, I'll share my interview with Oly rep a couple weeks ago. I asked him about oly micro 4/3 and he said its still a block of wood. He said WHEN oly micro 4/3 does eventually launch it will not have viewscreen for focusing like G-1 has and instead oly will offer attachable & specific focal lengths viewfinders. You know, like old rangefinder cameras used in the 1950's.

For me this is not a viewfinder feature I'd want. If I owned 4/3 glass I'd get a E3 new or E1 used. E3 is very appealing, having a larger than 1x viewfinder to compensate smaller than aps-c 2x crop factor.

I think G-1 will become the new hot imaging item this year. I read of a fellow elsewhere that uses an early 1960's canon 50mm f0.95 he custom adapted to G-1 and he says its a joy to focus with G-1 inspite of RAZOR thin depth of field when used wide open.

G-1 is HOT ! Everything I've read is appealing. I think C,S,&N, you know Canon Sony & Nikon, are going to be stunned by the popularity of this late 2008 product launch in 2009 unit number sales.

One of thesedays I'll stop reading about it and buy me one as I can't find any locally to testdrive (Yet) I've read novoflex has a $175 a piece line up of all lensmounts like Minolta MD, Canon FD, All Leica... And pointless stuff like Nikon and Pentax. I figure buy G-1 for obsolete mounts and buy a Pentax or Nikon body for Pentax or Nikon lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
The cameras are not necessarily small and light (wait, what about the E-420?) but that's largely because you can only make a camera so small while still being useful to someone with normal sized hands. I prefer using my E-330 to my friend's E-410, even though its larger and heavier. The difference is the lenses. The kit lenses are shockingly small, relatively speaking, but the optics don't make any excuses. And my 70-300 is quite a bit smaller and lighter than a comparable 90-400mm zoom on APS-C would be or 140-600(!) on FF. Not to mention that the current 4/3 sensors are far and above any compact's sensor (excepting the sigma in certain situations) in performance. So I'd say there are definitely still some good reasons for 4/3. Some people buy an E-3 just to use the 12-60 or 7-14 (people admittedly more affluent than myself).

On the other hand, for myself personally, that telephoto advantage doesn't mean anything with the K20D because if I crop to the same area as a 4/3 sensor, I've got the same 10mp resolution as the E-3, and if I crop to match the resolution of my old E-330 (which printed large remarkably well) I get even more of a telephoto effect.

Unfortunately, Samsungian, micro 4/3 is not an open standard the way 4/3 is. So Samsung probably couldn't join if they wanted to. I remember reading that statement from a Samsung official about 4/3 being a "failure" and wondering "how many DSLRs has samsung sold yet?" I just really don't think 4/3 is going away any faster than APS-C or full frame.
12-27-2008, 08:20 AM   #599
Veteran Member

New body and set of new lenses with no pentax mount legacy. 4/3 is an open mount system meaning anyone can use it and make cameras for it, I don't understand why samsung wants to create their own unique 4/3, but maybe they are tired of being someone elses "clone" and camera manufacturer for Pentax Logo.
Olympus is my go-to system of choice should Pentax drop the K-mount, as some people have speculated. The dizzying array of lens mounts that can be easily adapted for the 4/3 system (plain metal adapter, no glass and no need for modifications) is very impressive. I would have gone Olympus, but those Panasonic sensors really need work and the E-3 is the only body in that system with a decent viewfinder (the E-30 might join the E-3 later on in this regard). The E-520 I used to have sported a really small VF. I mean it's usable if you force yourself to it, but pretty hard to do manual focusing with it.

Of course, the E-3 still hasn't dropped much in price, too (I can get a K20D and a Limited lens for the E-3's cost), which makes it hard for me to consider Olympus now.

But I still keep tabs on Olympus developments, and the thought of their small EVIL camera prototype matched with their pancake lens (or maybe a Russian Zeiss copy in Leica threaded mount via adapter) appeals to me.
12-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #600
Veteran Member

Good to know Micro4/3 mount is not an open standard like 4/3 is.

As you are olympus savy, I'll share my interview with Oly rep a couple weeks ago. I asked him about oly micro 4/3 and he said its still a block of wood. He said WHEN oly micro 4/3 does eventually launch it will not have viewscreen for focusing like G-1 has and instead oly will offer attachable & specific focal lengths viewfinders. You know, like old rangefinder cameras used in the 1950's.

For me this is not a viewfinder feature I'd want. If I owned 4/3 glass I'd get a E3 new or E1 used. E3 is very appealing, having a larger than 1x viewfinder to compensate smaller than aps-c 2x crop factor.

I think G-1 will become the new hot imaging item this year. I read of a fellow elsewhere that uses an early 1960's canon 50mm f0.95 he custom adapted to G-1 and he says its a joy to focus with G-1 inspite of RAZOR thin depth of field when used wide open.

G-1 is HOT ! Everything I've read is appealing. I think C,S,&N, you know Canon Sony & Nikon, are going to be stunned by the popularity of this late 2008 product launch in 2009 unit number sales.

One of thesedays I'll stop reading about it and buy me one as I can't find any locally to testdrive (Yet) I've read novoflex has a $175 a piece line up of all lensmounts like Minolta MD, Canon FD, All Leica... And pointless stuff like Nikon and Pentax. I figure buy G-1 for obsolete mounts and buy a Pentax or Nikon body for Pentax or Nikon lenses.
I will agree with the assessment that the G-1 generates a lot of buzz. It'll have to drop in price to gain much following, though (well, at least that's what I think). I'd prefer to wait for Olympus' approach for the in-body stabilization that Panasonic continues to put in lenses. I'm okay with the 50's style viewfinder attachment, as long as that VF is zoom-able, as opposed to the different VFs for specific focal lengths (or a bulky universal turret) with old rangefinders.

Amazing how Panasonic has gotten itself front and center in the industry spotlight with a few well-planned moves (G-1 and LX3). Just shows that you only have to bring good, innovative stuff to the table to get people to notice you. I remember only a few months prior to the micro-4/3 announcement, people in Olympus forums were expecting Panasonic to drop out of the 4/3 consortium altogether.