Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #661
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
I've put the best videos made with the canon 5d mark II on myblog M..m.o.i.r.e.s

I hope pentax can do something like this with their cameras as it's the depth of field and low light performance you dont get on ordinary hd camcorders unless you start shooting with red but thats cinema quality!
And a high price tag, to boot (referring to your red statement).

In any case, I do appreciate what the 5D Mk II and D90 bring to the table, quirks and all. Anyway, it's first generation technology and it could only improve and give other manufacturers (including Pentax) something to work on, as well, as long as it doesn't compromise the still photo side of things and it won't cost extra, for the most part.

01-02-2009, 01:52 AM   #662
Inactive Account

It's always an uphill battle, progress. On one side, you have the physical and developmental limitations of getting video into SLRs, and then you have those who decry this as difiling the tool of the modern photographer.

I can't say I'd take tha approach to the video debate, but I will say this: every "convergeance" device I've ever purchased, sold, borrowed, or used had compromises, one way or the other. Video on a DSLR is convenient if it's the only camera you have with you when you want to take video, but otherwise, I agree with others saying this is just a parlour trick. Every few years it's something else that has nothing to do with actually taking a picture, but is a "must have" for every DSLR owner. It won't replace dedicated devices for recording video in the same way that Apple still sells millions of iPods every year to people who own cellphones instead of selling them iPhones.
01-05-2009, 12:13 PM   #663
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
GaryM, well said.
But now we found out it's not really outperforming the K20D/31mm Limited, except for AF when the G1 gladly used it's AF-assist lamp And as a small, quiet camera.
So, can we let this rest?

News? I have news for you! In 2009 we'll see from Pentax something interesting. Really!
I am pretty sure we will as well!

Ben
01-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #664
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I am pretty sure we will as well!

Ben
Ben what do you think about video on dslrs? Having seen these short films: A New Era

01-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #665
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
Ben what do you think about video on dslrs? Having seen these short films: A New Era
I feel it is the way of the future. I would love to be able to have SMPT on a camera so I could synch sound to the imagery. I love the rendition of video on the Canon 5D Mkll.

Ben
01-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #666
Veteran Member

I feel it is the way of the future. I would love to be able to have SMPT on a camera so I could synch sound to the imagery. I love the rendition of video on the Canon 5D Mkll.

Ben
This is what currently makes it a parlor trick (or at least very narrow focus) imho - sound issues. While you can certainly bring a field sound setup, if the camera doesn't spit out timecode you're stuck with manual sync...which isn't pretty. That's why we're seeing music videos at this point.

I have no doubt that they'll either add smpte or someone will come up with a creative way around it. But that does then beg the question about the market for such a product, and if they are going to cannibalize higher-end videocam sales. For instance when I need video I have a Canon XH-A1 that I use, along with a cheap Canon HD videocam for b-roll. While the XH-A1 doesn't have interchangeable lenses or a big sensor like the 5D, it has real provisions for sound as well as timecode. Plus it is in a form factor that works pretty well for handheld or shooting on sticks.

The next few years will be interesting in this area.
01-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #667
Pentaxian

Here's my crappy review of the G1 as promised, btw:

Panasonic Lumix G1 Micro Four Thirds Camera Review - Unbiased digital camera reviews, prices, and advice

01-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #668
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the "Image Quality" section: "I found these traits in the Olympus E-520 (Olympus Evolt E-520 Digital SLR Review - Unbiased digital camera reviews, prices, and advice) (a camera that shares the same sensor as the G1) as well."

? The Olympus E-520 uses an older 10mp Panasonic sensor, not the same as the 12mp sensor in the G1. The G1 sensor may also be the sensor used in the upcoming 12mp E-30, but this has yet to be confirmed.

01-21-2009, 06:40 PM   #669
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
In the "Image Quality" section: "I found these traits in the Olympus E-520 (Olympus Evolt E-520 Digital SLR Review - Unbiased digital camera reviews, prices, and advice) (a camera that shares the same sensor as the G1) as well."

? The Olympus E-520 uses an older 10mp Panasonic sensor, not the same as the 12mp sensor in the G1. The G1 sensor may also be the sensor used in the upcoming 12mp E-30, but this has yet to be confirmed.
Thanks for that correction. Not sure where I got it from.

I also made a few other typos ("G2" in the last line, for instance). Should be edited shortly. :ugh:
01-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #670
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drewdlephone Quote
It's always an uphill battle, progress. On one side, you have the physical and developmental limitations of getting video into SLRs, and then you have those who decry this as difiling the tool of the modern photographer.

I can't say I'd take tha approach to the video debate, but I will say this: every "convergeance" device I've ever purchased, sold, borrowed, or used had compromises, one way or the other. Video on a DSLR is convenient if it's the only camera you have with you when you want to take video, but otherwise, I agree with others saying this is just a parlour trick. Every few years it's something else that has nothing to do with actually taking a picture, but is a "must have" for every DSLR owner. It won't replace dedicated devices for recording video in the same way that Apple still sells millions of iPods every year to people who own cellphones instead of selling them iPhones.
There is a reason why video cameras are the shape and form factor they are. If you want to focus and zoom during capture, and record quality sound, then the stills camera form factor is useless, just as the video camera format is not ideal for achieving a steady single shutter press.

I know Magnum wanted their news photographers to be able to capture video, but I would still prefer a dedicated stills camera.

I think the micro4/3 type camera would be a much better bet because it already has permanent live view and an "always open" shutter. Plus I can use the viewfinder for video recording in sunlight. Also, without a mirror box and with a small sensor, the form factor could be changed to make a much more successful hybrid camera.
03-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #671

nt

04-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #672
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd hate to see our most-viewed thread ever die away! So when's the K30D coming???

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-01-2009, 11:18 PM   #673
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd hate to see our most-viewed thread ever die away! So when's the K30D coming???
The second Tuesday of next week, last I heard.
04-02-2009, 05:36 AM   #674
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
The second Tuesday of next week, last I heard.
I thought it was the third Monday...
04-02-2009, 08:16 AM   #675
Site Supporter

But only...

I thought it was the third Monday...
in weeks with an 'Arrr' in it.

It's been delayed because they can't decide on whether the pro camera should be fuscha or sea foam, with a matching Burberry battery pack and flash, and they can't seem to get the lenses to not-match properly.

Cheers,
Cameron