Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2007, 09:00 PM   #121

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Mathematical series analysis leads me to believe that Pentax will release 1 new model, and then disappear as a company. Why? Their digital camera line-up has evolved thusly: K1000D --> K100D --> K10D --> ... The next one will be the K1D. And after that? They cannot release the K0.1D, because that's just silly, so they'll have worked themselves into a corner where they'll crumble and die.

That's my mathematical take on all this.

There's always the Canon solution.
We'll have K1D followed by a K1Ds, K1D Mark II, K1Ds Mark II, K1D Mark II N, K1D Mark III, K1Ds Mark III, etc. After spending all that time to figure out what you bought, you won't want to switch systems and go through it all again.

10-15-2007, 12:22 AM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Now, what should Samsung do? Continue selling the outdated GX-1L and GX-1S, with only the GX-10 with up-to-date-technology? I doubt that Pentax allows Samsung to release their bodies before Pentax release theirs.
Samsung can't afford waiting for fall 2008, they are too aggressive in character for that.
I believe a spring release for them too.
Actually, Pentax release schedule will not affect Samsung. Samsung has stated (though not officially) that K10D would be the last camera to be a rebadged Pentax. That's why we are not seeing rebadged K100 or K100 Super.

The more puzzling thing is the lack of new DSLR announcement from Samsung; as they are supposed to be working on one of their own original design.
10-15-2007, 12:27 AM   #123
and
Veteran Member

Would be very very interesting if samsung made a whole new body on their own with a k mount. using a different sensor than the new pentaxes.
10-15-2007, 03:43 AM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Mathematical series analysis leads me to believe that Pentax will release 1 new model, and then disappear as a company. Why? Their digital camera line-up has evolved thusly: K1000D --> K100D --> K10D --> ... The nex one will be the K1D. And after that? They cannot release the K0.1D, because that's just silly, so they'll have worked themselves into a corner where they'll crumble and die.

That's my mathematical take on all this.

I am sure Pentax is crafty enough to come up with something......by your analysis, Canon is on its way to extinction too....and Nikon has only a few slots left!

10-15-2007, 04:00 AM   #125
Busiko

Waiting is hard...

I understand the pressure put on Ben and Marc. They seem to be insiders with a knowledge not to be disclosed as per NDA. I believe them. But it appears they are not the only ones to know something. Remember the cruise Pentax offered to Representatives sometime ago? Maybe it's just a coincidence but there is a known canadian retailer that seems to have started dumping K10Ds on e*Bay. Just curious about that.
10-15-2007, 04:10 AM   #126
and
Veteran Member

Speaking of the cruise, there was mention of a new flash. I am thinking of getting a 540 but it would be very annoying if a new weather-selaed 540 came out just a couple of months later
10-15-2007, 05:39 AM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Actually, Pentax release schedule will not affect Samsung. Samsung has stated (though not officially) that K10D would be the last camera to be a rebadged Pentax. That's why we are not seeing rebadged K100 or K100 Super.

The more puzzling thing is the lack of new DSLR announcement from Samsung; as they are supposed to be working on one of their own original design.
It is true that Samsung are working on their own outer design and will have a different implemenation of features - but chassi and technology will be the same and they will be built by Pentax (at least to bein with, this may change later on).

So it may not be a rebadge, but the Samsung will use the same platform as Pentax (quite much like in the auto-industry - Scoda Octavia uses the same platform as Audi A3, CitroŽn C4 is a Peugeot 307 in a different design etc.). Because the Samsung and Pentax cameras are so close related, I do have my doubts that Pentax allows Samsung to release their version prior to Pentax.
10-15-2007, 05:41 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
Remember the cruise Pentax offered to Representatives sometime ago?
Ah, the cruise... funny that it happened so silently, and no report from the cruise was posted anywhere. Seems to me like all of them signed a NDA!

10-15-2007, 06:49 AM   #129
Inactive Account

And they taken blindfolded to the departure point for the cruise (which was on a submarine)
10-15-2007, 09:47 AM   #130
Veteran Member

Question for the Pentax rep on this board. I hope you can answer this one. You said that something interesting will come in January. I hope it is true and if it is, will there be a pre-production model at the CES show in Las Vegas in Jan 08? I've been to almost every CES show since 2000, and I am invited again this year. But I was thinking of skipping this one due to financial short coming, but if Pentax will have something at the show, I will try my best effort to make it there.

Thanks in advance if you are able to answer this one.
10-15-2007, 11:42 AM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
But... this is the company that gave us the fantastic name "*Ist"... I'm sure they can manage a K0.0001D, or think of another sensible name like the Pentax .
Yes, that is true, so maybe K0.0001D is not out of the question. "*Ist" is a great name; I still pronounce it starist or asteriskist. Maybe the new line could be called #@&pos. Or maybe not.
10-15-2007, 12:11 PM   #132
Veteran Member

ah ha!!!

From all the hints and innuendos posted here I have deduced the next sensor
It will be a Samsung CMOS, APS-C (full frame later, though the pulling back of the "ltd's" may mean FF is possible, w/ 30MP(+/- 20%) Equivalent to 10MP due to the new sensor technology . It will incorporate a variation of the Nikon 1/sensel/ 3 color technology. Like this:Nikon's new full-color RGB sensor?: Digital Photography Review
And the camera will have ddr3 RAM, and a new "Brain" thanks to Samsung, modeled on a fujitsu.
Image-Processing LSI Chip for High-Resolution Digital Cameras Compatible with X3 Sensors : Fujitsu Microelectronics Pacific Asia Ltd.
Why not?????
Oh and full 16bit RAW, unfortunately compressed...
But it will have A/v capabilities.
Now this is fun.
10-15-2007, 01:02 PM   #133
Inactive Account

This is exciting news. We all want new gear, but I am not going to put my heart fully in this, it could just be a letdown. So let's keep our expectations low, and maybe we will all be real happy come January.
10-15-2007, 01:17 PM   #134

New Magazine Ad's

Well, I have noticed numerous new Pentax ad's in the last few months of Pop Photography and Shutterbug, and my impression is that if Pentax were truly out of it, they probably wouldn't be spending any money on ads. The latest issue of Pop Photo has an ad where Pentax is touting not to have the marketing budget of the other two big companies, but that they instead spend more time in the lab creating innovative products.

Anyway, just seems to me that they are building back up to a new product launch as many have alluded to in January. I think we just saw a minor derailment of the process when the merger was being discussed and taking place, and that the quietness from Pentax was them working to quickly assess product development and direction.

My guess is we will see an all new set of products and a quick roadmap implementation starting in January as a result of the silence.

But I could be wrong since I'm just speculating based on increasing and new magazine ads.
10-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
Question for the Pentax rep on this board. I hope you can answer this one. You said that something interesting will come in January. I hope it is true and if it is, will there be a pre-production model at the CES show in Las Vegas in Jan 08? I've been to almost every CES show since 2000, and I am invited again this year. But I was thinking of skipping this one due to financial short coming, but if Pentax will have something at the show, I will try my best effort to make it there.
CES show? I don't think anybody has mentioned anything about CES show.
I am almost certain that it would be part of the pre-PMA show announcement. This year, the PMA show starts on Jan 31, 2008. I would expect a flood of new camera models / lens announcement from Pentax (and everyone else) within the 3 to 4 weeks window before the show.

And no, I don't think there will be anything interesting at CES apart from P&S models.