Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2007, 06:12 AM   #46
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Branimir Quote
This is getting tiresome.
Rumors are what lots of people survive on. They literally feed on it.
The problem, as I see it, is that this is Nth rumor saying "in a few months there will be BIG surprise. I mean BIG surprise."
And then nothing.

But why this persistent flow of rumors?I mean, do you need better camera? Is your camera hindering your artistic expression? If yes, why do you wait? Grab another camera and shoot away. You will loose a bit of money in going to another brand, but you will get camera that shoots wildlife closeups with wide angle lenses at 10mile distance, or you might get crucial 10fps for your macro pictures. Do not get me wrong - there are photographers that actually use all of the PRO features and need those features, but as far as I can see, we here are NOT pros, or at least majority is not.

I am perfectly happy with my camera. I even consider kidnapping my father's old Zenith EM and try out my skills I learnt so far. I am not considering upgrade until my better and prettier half kidnaps my camera and does not let me near it (this is how I got this one )
I am not happy with my lens, and am working on acquiring a set of lens that will make me happy and not make me broke. That means that DA* are waaaay out of my league, and will stay there indefinitely since I cannot justify the expense. Even most of DAs are waay out of my league (notice number of As).
I would like to see Pentax branded cheap quality lens. I know that it is impossible, but that is what I would like to see more then new body that has 762 MP, shoots 92fps, cooks coffee and guards little children.
Dont you see that it is just a hobby? It is like those conversations about religion, all the people know that they are going nowhere but still they have them

10-12-2007, 06:17 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Sorry, Benji,
but this is a typical Benjikan post.

It appears to me that you, since you are sponsored by Pentax France, have to post something like this from time to time, to keep us all at it.

Did you ever tell us something really interesting? Cannot remember.
Perhaps you might consider Googling my name if you want to research whether I have cited something interesting or not
10-12-2007, 06:27 AM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Many people are perfectly happy with their current cameras. However, it's a very safe bet than in a few years, these cameras will be very far behind the state of the art. The future health of the system is important do decisions we do make now, like whether to buy more K-mount lenses (or to sell the ones we have while the selling is still good). If Hoya intends to just milk Pentax's camera division for the money it can get and then just dump them (or worse, make them into a cheap-crap brand), then there is no future and it'd be nice to know that as soon as possible. On the other hand, since we do like what we have, we'd really like to know that there's a place to go next when the time comes.

That's not unreasonable at all, and if you're tired of it, stop reading the rumors threads.

I'd like to recommend the K10D to a friend of mine, but I have no idea if future offerings from Pentax are going to continue to meet her needs or if I'm suggesting to buy into a dead end system. If I recommend one of the big two brands, I know that not only will there be a company there when it comes time to upgrade, but that they'll continue to offer a range of cameras from which she'll be guaranteed to find a fit for her evolving needs.
Then recommend her some other brand. What's the big deal? Are the two of you going to exchange lenses and flashes?
The problem with "where will Pentax be when time for upgrade comes" will be arising every time some other brand pulls another new toy from a hat and Pentax does not respond within weeks. Every time some people will herald doomsday for Pentax, and others will insatiably gulp rumors to make them sure that "they've made the right choice".
A camera is a thing. Electronics to be more precise.
Can you imagine what people felt when computer industry switched from AGP to PCIExpress graphic card slots? After they bought super-ultra-turbo-injection graphics card thinking "This card kicks ass. I will upgrade my computer, but The Card is here to stay".
This is the same thing.
Let's be realistic. Entry level dSLRs now are kicking rear end of almost any nonpro 35mm camera. In 5 years time (or, in my case, more) who knows which cameras will be produced. Maybe Pentax sues Nikon and ends up like Minolta. Who knows. Maybe it happens the other way around
My main problem is that I LIKE TO READ RUMORS.
Having said that, I have to repeat that it is becoming counterproductive. I am nauseus of tantalizing innuendos. I hate posts like ones before Salon in Paris.
Does that make me a machohist?
So, ignore my rant, I will read threads like this one no more (as if I can make myself ).

Branimir
10-12-2007, 07:14 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Perhaps you might consider Googling my name if you want to research whether I have cited something interesting or not
Hmm, well then, what was it?
Every month or so you post a note like "I know something, but I don't tell you, something really cool is in the making ... etc. pp."

This is just silly.

But you have a second chance. Play up!

Last edited by blende8; 10-12-2007 at 07:47 AM.
10-12-2007, 07:22 AM   #50
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
But come January Pentax are going to drop a very beautiful yet potent bomb on the DSL industry. Yes HOYA are definately behind Pentax and no I am not speculating. I should say "several bombs".
You know the old saying: "Fool me once --shame on you. Fool me twice--shame on me."

But let's say that Pentax really does make an announcement in January of a new "pro" level SDLR (12-14 MP with pro-level features) and they promise to deliver the lenses that are on the current roadmap (or similar designs). And maybe they will even deliver a 400 to 600mm super-telephoto. And maybe they'll even produce a macro flash, decent AF tele-converters, and all the other stuff that Nikon and Canon offer. And let's say that these products actually start trickling into stores some 4 months after the announcement (May or June 2008), which would meet or exceed their prior performance. That is a lot of "maybes." But let's pretend that really happens.

In the meantime, the comparable Nikon and Canon models have been in the stores since November 2007, well in time for the Christmas 2007 consumption frenzy. And, of course, Nikon and Canon have had relatively complete lens line-up for years, including 600mm super-telephotos and 70-300mm consumer zoom. It's nice that Pentax would finally catch up to what the other manufacturers already offer, but the other manufacturers won't be sitting still. At this pace, Pentax will always be lagging behind.

Maybe Hoya can improve Pentax' ability to develop and manufacture products in a reasonable time frame, and maybe they can improve the chronic supply shortages. But that will require more than management support; that will require an investment in infrastructure. It remains to be seen whether Hoya will make such an investment.
10-12-2007, 07:41 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Well... I don't live on rumors. Hence, I just purchased two k10d cameras (one for my wife and one for me) along with some lenses and accessories. If this happens to be the last camera Pentax produces, so what. I'm sure we will enjoy many years of picture making with our cameras and have opportunities through third party lens makers to add to the system. I researched my purchase carefully for months. I purposely chose Pentax over Nikon and Canon (having had both of those brands in the past along with Minolta and we all know what happened to that venerable company).

Then again, I'm not one of those who stands in line at the check-out of our local supermarket and becomes enthralled by the latest rumors relating to the lives of Hollywood's so-called stars. I find rumor mills silly and mundane.
10-12-2007, 07:53 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryML Quote
At this pace, Pentax will always be lagging behind.
When you're talking about having the latest whiz-bang gizmos, Pentax HAS always lagged behind. That's not to say that Pentax is never an innovator because they've had their share of "firsts". But they've never been a company that tries to "keep up with the Joneses". The way I see it, part of Pentax's problems in recent times is due to how quickly camera technology has evolved. From new exposure modes to auto-focus to digital and the accompanying mega-pixel wars, there have been a lot of changes and Pentax has struggled to keep up because this type of rapid change is not what they do well. What they DO do well is build camera gear that stands the test of time. Look how much even the very oldest Pentax lenses are still valued on here. Folks are merrily using thread-mount lenses from WAY back. It's wrong to expect Pentax to be Nikon or Canon. A better comparison would be Leica, IMO.

10-12-2007, 08:39 AM   #53
Veteran Member

What do we really know?

This is getting fun! It seems that for whatever reason we are starting to see a few leaks on what Hoya has planned for Pentax. Thanks to Ben, Richard, Chris, Marc, and 1970w72 we can start to piece together some idea as to what is on the horizon. Most of what seems to be fact surprises and pleases me. It looks like Hoya is making a commitment to the Pentax brand but let's not get ahead of ourselves yet. Here is a list of what seems to be fact:
  • NEW REBATES STARTING 10/18/07. The K100D super will have a $100 rebate. There may be other rebates on other products.
  • ANNOUNCEMENT COMING IN JANUARY. That doesn't mean we will see new products then but we will at least have an official announcement of what will be coming.
  • SENSOR IN NEW BODY NOT A SONY OR FOVEON. If true that could be the biggest shock!
  • NEW SENSOR LARGER THAN 12 MP. Again, if true this could move Pentax into a whole new ballgame.
  • NEW LENSES TO BE ANNOUNCED IN JANUARY. Again that does not mean we will see them at that time, just an announcement.

I wonder how long it will be before more "facts" will surface.

Regards,

Ken
10-12-2007, 08:50 AM   #54
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
When you're talking about having the latest whiz-bang gizmos, Pentax HAS always lagged behind. That's not to say that Pentax is never an innovator because they've had their share of "firsts". But they've never been a company that tries to "keep up with the Joneses". The way I see it, part of Pentax's problems in recent times is due to how quickly camera technology has evolved. From new exposure modes to auto-focus to digital and the accompanying mega-pixel wars, there have been a lot of changes and Pentax has struggled to keep up because this type of rapid change is not what they do well. What they DO do well is build camera gear that stands the test of time. Look how much even the very oldest Pentax lenses are still valued on here. Folks are merrily using thread-mount lenses from WAY back. It's wrong to expect Pentax to be Nikon or Canon. A better comparison would be Leica, IMO.
I agree completely. Pentax faces the same issues that Leitz faces. Leitz has lost a lot of money in recent years and is in danger of folding. Their earlier venture into digital with the bulky, heavy and expensive digital back for the R series was unsuccessful. The M8 has some issues as well, and I don't know if it is selling well. They may have some profit from their partnership in the 4/3 system with Panasonic and Olympus. But their future is uncertain, just the same as Pentax.

It would be a shame if either Leitz or Pentax went out of business. We live in difficult times for smaller businesses and greedy venture capitalists have little patience for small niche companies that don't generate the projected return on investment. Whether small camera companies can survive in this environment remains to be seen.
10-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Thanks Ben, Marc & Chris.

Good news about good news coming up in the future.

Seriously though, we all know Pentax can rock the boat and even did that with the K10D. A new top model body would be nice to evaluate in the new year - especially if Pentax rocks the boat again. I just hope that they get their sh*t together and start getting products to market a lot sooner than they have in the past.

Thanks for the news though.
10-12-2007, 08:59 AM   #56
ycl

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
This is getting fun! It seems that for whatever reason we are starting to see a few leaks on what Hoya has planned for Pentax. Thanks to Ben, Richard, Chris, Marc, and 1970w72 we can start to piece together some idea as to what is on the horizon. Most of what seems to be fact surprises and pleases me. It looks like Hoya is making a commitment to the Pentax brand but let's not get ahead of ourselves yet. Here is a list of what seems to be fact:
  • NEW REBATES STARTING 10/18/07. The K100D super will have a $100 rebate. There may be other rebates on other products.
  • ANNOUNCEMENT COMING IN JANUARY. That doesn't mean we will see new products then but we will at least have an official announcement of what will be coming.
  • SENSOR IN NEW BODY NOT A SONY OR FOVEON. If true that could be the biggest shock!
  • NEW SENSOR LARGER THAN 12 MP. Again, if true this could move Pentax into a whole new ballgame.
  • NEW LENSES TO BE ANNOUNCED IN JANUARY. Again that does not mean we will see them at that time, just an announcement.

I wonder how long it will be before more "facts" will surface.

Regards,

Ken

Ken -- thanks very much for summarizing; very helpful. I'm glad someone took the time to sift through the various "hints" on this long thread to come up with this list.

I've had a K100d for about six months, and find it an excellent tool. However, I've been somewhat itching to buy a 2d body, and these sorts of "rumors" will have an affect on my decision. I'm in no hurry to buy another body, since the K100 is perfectly OK for now, so will wait and see what happens in January '08.

Zenfolio | Yuanchung Lee
10-12-2007, 09:07 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I don't understand why you can't just tell us all..

I suspect it's because you don't really know what it is..
10-12-2007, 09:10 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The real message of this thread is: "Don't ask for more camera gear this coming Christmas...ask for money".
10-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
I wish Pentax was a US traded stock, I really do.
Of course Pentax is not a separate company any more but it appears that Hoya trades on the pink sheets as HOCPY.

Terry
10-12-2007, 09:22 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
I don't understand why you can't just tell us all..

I suspect it's because you don't really know what it is..

Ummm..NO..It is called an "NDA"

Thanks
Ben