Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-12-2007, 09:25 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
I don't understand why you can't just tell us all..

I suspect it's because you don't really know what it is..
Disclaimer: I've never contributed to similar threads until this one.

I wanted to participate simply because what's allowed to be stated IS TRUE. Feel free to look up my posts. I've never participated in rumor threads. Personally I would rather know this much information instead of pure conjecture.

You can read my post again if you like - I clearly stated I am under a non-disclosure agreement with Pentax USA. If I disclosed it, then I am violating the conditions of getting the information in advance. This mean I CANNOT post the specifics on any web site. I do not understand how I can be any clearer than this.

Please be patient, good things will come. If that's not satisfactory and you choose not to believe me at this point, then nothing I say will convince you.

Best Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 10-12-2007 at 09:33 AM. Reason: clarification
10-12-2007, 09:33 AM   #62
Veteran Member

What Chris said:

Arpe said in this thread:

"what Chris has said elsewhere has definitely helped my decision to wait a bit longer, as long as they are here by winter."[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry to have missed what Chris said... would someone be so kind to fill me in on this... thanks!

Nic
10-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check the bottom of page 1 for Chris' statement...
10-12-2007, 09:54 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know full well what a Non-Disclosure Agreement is.. I also know that anyone who has signed a NDA should not be publicly divulging details. And before you say you're not divulging details, the mere fact that you are discussing 'future plans' from Pentax, even if only insinuating, is going against the trust that Pentax has given you. Why would you do that?

See, I also work with a large company, about $12 billion annual in sales and, I often attend these 'corporate pow wows' and, the one thing that these stand for is, a podium for 'the corporation' to pat themselves on the back and leak 'general' good news driven by the marketing department.. Though, unless you're sitting on the board of directors, the news you're given at these pow wows is nothing more than hopeful, optimistic, sometimes flat-out-lying marketing hype.. So, that's why I say you don't know exactly what's happening at Pentax, only that 'something good' is going to happen. Just like the marketing folks told you.

Anyway, how much money should I save up?

Last edited by Tom M; 10-12-2007 at 10:02 AM.
10-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #65
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Though, unless you're sitting on the board of directors, the news you're given at these pow wows is nothing more than hopeful, optimistic, sometimes flat-out-lying marketing hype.. So, that's why I say you don't know exactly what's happening at Pentax, only that 'something good' is going to happen. Just like the marketing folks told you.

Anyway, how much money should I save up?
DITTO. But even knowing that to play the game is so tempting...
10-12-2007, 10:20 AM   #66
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
The surprise was that what I expected didn't happen...
As it didn't or won't happen, can you now please tell us what you thought was going to happen?
mucho tanx.

btw, 5 pages'a rumor-mill posts in under 24 hours? Ya, we're hurt'n in many ways! <lol>
10-12-2007, 10:28 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
" You know the old saying: "Fool me once --shame on you. Fool me twice--shame on me."

But let's say that Pentax really does make an announcement in January of a new "pro" level SDLR (12-14 MP with pro-level features) and they promise to deliver the lenses that are on the current roadmap (or similar designs). And maybe they will even deliver a 400 to 600mm super-telephoto. And maybe they'll even produce a macro flash, decent AF tele-converters, and all the other stuff that Nikon and Canon offer. And let's say that these products actually start trickling into stores some 4 months after the announcement (May or June 2008), which would meet or exceed their prior performance. That is a lot of "maybes." But let's pretend that really happens.

In the meantime, the comparable Nikon and Canon models have been in the stores since November 2007, well in time for the Christmas 2007 consumption frenzy. And, of course, Nikon and Canon have had relatively complete lens line-up for years, including 600mm super-telephotos and 70-300mm consumer zoom. It's nice that Pentax would finally catch up to what the other manufacturers already offer, but the other manufacturers won't be sitting still. At this pace, Pentax will always be lagging behind."

Nikon announced some new cameras in time for Christmas, but it remains to be seen if they will be delivered in any quantity by then. Even Nikon stated November availability, which is pretty last minute for Christmas "buying frenzies".

Regardless, who really thinks that millions of happy Christmas shoppers will rush out and buy a $5,000 FF Nikon or a 400 f2.8 Pentax lens anyway?

Pentax has been on their own release schedule for years and what CaNikon do or do not do seems to have little impact upon that. I think this is a good strategy given the Pentax market position.

At the end of the day if, as you say, the CaNikon lineup is more availble, or better or whatever, why do folks like you not own that system instead of Pentax? I suspect that there is one main reason, and that is simply the cost differential of owning CaNikon over Pentax.

So, given that, what everyone seems to want is everything CaNikon has, but they do not want to pay for it....

After all, if this is not true, those complaining would have just bellied up to the bar and put their money down for a CaNikon system, no?

Ray

Last edited by Ray Pulley; 10-12-2007 at 10:37 AM.
10-12-2007, 10:54 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryML Quote
...and greedy venture capitalists have little patience for small niche companies that don't generate the projected return...
I can't wait for the altruistic Communists to swoop in and save Pentax.
10-12-2007, 11:09 AM   #69
sft

Photos: Gallery
Cool - this sounds interesting and this time - come January I am certain Pentax will have some major announcements as it has been confirmed now by quite a number of people that I need not quote - some of which I have never heard make any statements like this (ie. Marc).

Right now all I am doing is looking very forward to the release of the DA*60-250 as that is my main interest and I am very happy with my K10D but if we really do get a MAJOR breakthrough in technology I will probably get whatever is coming and keep my K10D as a backup .

Looking forward to the news - and this is all encouraging - I certainly hope that Hoya is indeed injecting cash into the imaging division.

Cheers.
10-12-2007, 11:50 AM   #70
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote

At the end of the day if, as you say, the CaNikon lineup is more availble, or better or whatever, why do folks like you not own that system instead of Pentax? I suspect that there is one main reason, and that is simply the cost differential of owning CaNikon over Pentax.
Since you asked, I will answer that I did, in fact, sell all of my Pentax AF-digital SLR gear and moved to a different system. Pentax didn't have what I needed in a digital SLR system, and I got tired of waiting for a long fast lens with decent AF speed. Instead, I bought a Nikon DSLR with three lenses and a hot shoe flash to replace the Pentax gear. Nikon had what I needed at present and Pentax did not, so I switched. (I still have and use my Pentax LX film camera and some manual focus lenses which perform well for landscape and travel photography.)

I have been happily shooting away at my son's soccer games with a long fast lens and the AF is getting it right about 98% of the time. This is a dramatic improvement from my prior K10D and Sigma 100-300mm f4 EX DG. Nikon also has superior performance and flexibility in the flash system, and I no longer get the weird incorrect flash exposures I used to get on occasion with the K10D and AF-360FGZ flash. I also get fast and accurate AF performance in low light that I didn't get with the K10D. And the build quality of some of the Nikkor zoom lenses I have (e.g., the 70-200mm f2.8 VR and the 17-55mm f2.8 DX) is better than any Pentax zoom in the current catalog (including the DA* lenses).

Yes, it did cost me some money both for the loss in value in buying new and selling used, and in the higher prices that Nikon charges for some products. But for me it was worth the cost.

I think everyone benefits from having companies like Pentax and Leica stay in business and offer alternatives for specialized markets. More options and more competition benefit all photographers. If my needs change in the future, and Pentax has a better product for those needs than Nikon, Canon or Olympus alternatives (NOT Sony), then I may buy Pentax. I'm not interested in the newest gimmicks (e.g., swivel LCD panels, in-camera photo editing, scene modes, etc.). But I am interested in build quality, solid performance, and the choice of equipment to meet my needs.

Last edited by GaryML; 10-12-2007 at 12:24 PM.
10-12-2007, 11:57 AM   #71

It's good to hear that something is happening at Pentax! I am curious, will there only be high-end stuff in Januari (flagship camera, expensive tele lenses)? The Pentax camera line up is rather limited at the moment (K100D and K10D). Ideally it should comprise 4 models (IMHO), something like this:

1) Kx000D: intro amateur camera for people migrating from a P&S or bridge camera or people starting with the hobby. An updated version of the current K100D would be ideal: auto and program modes but with the posibillity to do Av, Tv, manual etc.

2) Kx00D: a more advanced amateur camera for people who already know something about exposure and metering etc. Direct hardware controls for the essential exposure, metering and focusing variables should be provided on this camera. This kind of camera is currently lacking from the Pentax line up. I would like something like a DSLR version of the Pentax MZ-5n film camera to fill this gap (ok, I confess, this is the camera I am really hoping for!).

3) Kx0D: the basic pro camera, the K10D fills this place very nicely!

4) Kx: The flagship pro camera with all the bells and whistles the Pentax engineers can dream up. To be introduced in januari?

Pentax has always had a very nice range of lenses in between the budget models and the expensive fast pro stuff, eg. the FA and DA Limited lenses. I hope they will continue to develop lenses in this category. This is something were they can make a real difference with Nikon or Canon.

In short, I hope we will we see something new in january besides the high end pro stuff!

Best regards,

Bert
10-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #72
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryML Quote
I have been happily shooting away at my son's soccer games with a long fast lens and the AF is getting it right about 98% of the time. This is a dramatic improvement from my prior K10D and Sigma 100-300mm f4 EX DG. Nikon also has superior performance and flexibility in the flash system, and I no longer get the weird incorrect flash exposures I used to get on occasion with the K10D and AF-360FGZ flash. I also get fast and accurate AF performance in low light that I didn't get with the K10D. And the build quality of some of the Nikkor zoom lenses I have (e.g., the 70-200mm f2.8 VR and the 17-55mm f2.8 DX) is better than any Pentax zoom in the current catalog (including the DA* lenses).
Beware!!!! To say something like that (independent of it is true or not) can produce a storm.
10-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #73
Veteran Member

I will be so, so disappointed if what we get is a body with 14+ MP and no improvement on noise in higher ISOs, and no higher ISOs like 3200/6400 even available. I understand that there are those few out there for whom 10 MP isn't enough, but come on... how many of us are making prints bigger than 16x20 anyways? Better high ISO performance would be something just about everyone would welcome and appreciate, whereas more MP is just pointless for many. (I would actually be happy with FEWER megapixels, to keep the file sizes down).

I really hope Pentax doesn't get caught up in the silly "more megapixels" race. But I guess they must, if they want to sell products to consumers who have been erroneously led to believe that more megapixels is always better.

Just give me better high ISO performance (the technology is out there - I've seen 100% crops of the D300 at ISO 6400, and it's as good as my K10D at 1600), 1/250 max sync speed and better AF in low light (please!) and I'll be a happy camper. I don't need/want the rest.

One might ask why I don't just switch to Nikon, since the D300 will have everything I just mentioned and more. I've definitely thought about it. But the main reason I moved to Pentax was/is the incredible line-up of lightweight, compact, high-quality and relatively affordable prime lenses available. And they seem to be the only manufacturer that is committed to making fantastic primes like this on an ongoing basis. If I could use my 21, 43 & 77 on a Nikon body... I'd be there.

Last edited by switters; 10-12-2007 at 12:11 PM.
10-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #74
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
... how many of us are making prints bigger than 16x20 anyways?

Pros interested in buying a pro-body together with pro-lenses?

Maybe the question is, why should an amateur want to buy a pro body?
10-12-2007, 12:29 PM   #75
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Beware!!!! To say something like that (independent of it is true or not) can produce a storm.
I don't want to start a "which is better" argument. I'm just explaining why I switched. There is a lot to like in Pentax, especially the light weight, high performance, well built Limited lenses, the nice construction of the K10D body (better built than my Nikon D80), excellent wide angle lenses that are better and cheaper than the Nikkor alternatives, etc.

Every system has its pros and cons. It is just disappointing that Pentax is so slow in getting its planned products to market, and some users (like me) just won't wait.