Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-14-2007, 03:53 AM   #106
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by thosan Quote
Hmm, this thread and the K20D thread has put some doubts in my mind. I was pretty set on upgrading from my canon s3 is to a K10D with the kit lens and a tamron 70-300.
But since I'm a bit of a gadget freak and always like new a shiny stuff, i can't decide if i should go with the K10D or wait and see what they announce in January.
Decision, decisions....
You might have to wait a few months after that before you can get it! The K10D was announced at PMA 06 and the first ones started to appear in November!

However, if you wait 'till January, the K10D may be a bit cheaper by then, but I think it's a great deal now, I bought mine in Nov last year and it's been a fantastic camera, I loved my istD, but it always frustrated the heck out of me, no frustrations with the K10D!

10-14-2007, 03:59 AM   #107
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
So did I, but it was announced at PMA in February 06!

Maybe the next new one will be similar?
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
You dont mean "one of the new cameras" .... ?
I dont see myself updating my k10d to a k20d, but if they came up with a k1d as well then I doubt I would be able to resist. I had/have the DS and didnt feel like upgrading when the k100d came out. but the k10d was a class above and that justified the upgrade. I think the new body will have to be a performance and price class above the k10d for me to justify having to upgrade.
I won't want the new lower model, just (maybe) the replacement K20D (as you call it).
10-14-2007, 04:16 AM   #108
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ugh... no new model above k10d then huh... We need an upgrade path, more than two different models in the lineup. 3 should be ok. 1 k100d level, 1 k10d level (1000 usd) and one > k10d level (1700-2000 usd)
10-14-2007, 04:28 AM   #109
Inactive Account

ugh... no new model above k10d then huh... We need an upgrade path, more than two different models in the lineup. 3 should be ok. 1 k100d level, 1 k10d level (1000 usd) and one > k10d level (1700-2000 usd)
Stop thinking half-empty glass, think like an engineer, i.e. the glass is the correct size!

What if the US$1000 is equivalent to a $1700-2000 model? Would you not buy it? Or is the actual price your method of choice (I do hope not!)?

10-14-2007, 05:24 AM   #110
Veteran Member

The K10D is great value at the moment, it's price has dropped a fair amount since introduction and is a huge improvement over the istD models in ALL respects (I had an istD, now belongs to one of my sons).

The likelyhood that an upgrade/replacement for the K10D will be at a similar price point for some while is most unlikely. If you can afford to spend a fair bit more (30%?) than the K10D now costs and are happy with your *ist body for the interim period (could be late spring before new bodies are really available) then I'd wait until then.

Personally I will probably get the new camera (unless it's a dog of course! ) and keep my K10D as a second body.

This is my plan. Upgrade and use the 10D for a backup body. Hopefully there will be a 1d or a 5d or something. If the next cam is below the 10D in terms of features, the only way I'd buy is if it had something the 10D did not that I wanted such as faster AF or higher fps.
10-14-2007, 05:43 AM   #111
Veteran Member

You might have to wait a few months after that before you can get it! The K10D was announced at PMA 06 and the first ones started to appear in November!
Richard,
You took me to task and said I was looking at less than a half empty glass when I said we will not "SEE" a new camera until July/ August. Now you seem to be backing off and saying we will have an announcement at PMA but may not "SEE" it till November. That is more pessimistic than me LOL! If, as you say, Hoya is dropping money into Pentax now I'd expect to see the new bodies by July.

Regards,

Ken
10-14-2007, 05:48 AM   #112
ycl

Intriguing

Stop thinking half-empty glass, think like an engineer, i.e. the glass is the correct size!
:
Is this a hint of a forthcoming Pentax full-frame, or am I reading too much into it?

10-14-2007, 06:15 AM   #113
and
Veteran Member

If they make a 1000 dollar camera that blows away the Nikon D300 and has some of the features that I am looking for (fast sync speed for instance) then yea. Im just saying that sure Pentax has great value and this is good, but we cannot expect the world from a 1000 dollar camera. if they can make a 1000 dollar camera that has the same features as the 1700 dollar d300, then I would still be interested in a 1700 dollar petntax that has the features of a 3000 dollar camera
10-14-2007, 07:54 AM   #114
Veteran Member

If they make a 1000 dollar camera that blows away the Nikon D300 and has some of the features that I am looking for (fast sync speed for instance) then yea. Im just saying that sure Pentax has great value and this is good, but we cannot expect the world from a 1000 dollar camera. if they can make a 1000 dollar camera that has the same features as the 1700 dollar d300, then I would still be interested in a 1700 dollar petntax that has the features of a 3000 dollar camera
Or why not a 3000 doller camera that has the feature set of a 5000 one
10-14-2007, 08:16 AM   #115
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
Or why not a 3000 doller camera that has the feature set of a 5000 one
Because then it would be more expensive than a Canon 5D, in that case it better be FF. But since they dont seem to be making one...
10-14-2007, 08:27 AM   #116
Veteran Member

According to the interview from this spring published in DC Watch Impress, Pentax was working on a christmas release, but Hoya obvously re-scheduled the plans so now we will have a January announcement instead of the september/october announcement. In the spring interview, Pentax was talking about two new models - both upgrades/replacement for the K100D and K10D, and one body positioned above the K10D.. The upgrades/replacements for K100D and K10D were "almost ready", design and features were fixed, and the new flagship model had status "design and features not yet fixed", suggesting a release later 2008 (I believe fall 2008, for the Photokina show).

Instead of the K100D upgrade/replacement, we got a K100D Super. A quite inexpensive way for Pentax to borrow time to finishing the true upgrade/replacement model, and I do believe in a spring release. (especially since it was originally planned for release this fall).

Same thing with the K10D upgrade/replacement, I believe in a spring release for this body too.
July/August or November 2008 seems to be too pessimistic. That would be a whole year after the design and features were fixed.

Now, what should Samsung do? Continue selling the outdated GX-1L and GX-1S, with only the GX-10 with up-to-date-technology? I doubt that Pentax allows Samsung to release their bodies before Pentax release theirs.

Samsung can't afford waiting for fall 2008, they are too aggressive in character for that.
I believe a spring release for them too.

Well, there's always the possibility that Hoya are pushing development of the new flagship so the "K1D" or whatever it will be called, will be released earlier - but if they give more priority to this than the K10D replacement/upgrade, then they have changed the original plan announced in the DC Watch Impress interview.

Take care
R
10-14-2007, 09:01 AM   #117

It is good to see that hoya seems to be behind the camera business.

When you think about it, it makes sense. They are diversifying, which is a part of growth. It would be silly to do away with a profitable camera department which gets dropped in their lap ready made.
10-14-2007, 05:28 PM   #118
Veteran Member

Mathematical series analysis leads me to believe that Pentax will release 1 new model, and then disappear as a company. Why? Their digital camera line-up has evolved thusly: K1000D --> K100D --> K10D --> ... The nex one will be the K1D. And after that? They cannot release the K0.1D, because that's just silly, so they'll have worked themselves into a corner where they'll crumble and die.

That's my mathematical take on all this.

10-14-2007, 05:58 PM   #119
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
They cannot release the K0.1D, because that's just silly
But... this is the company that gave us the fantastic name "*Ist"... I'm sure they can manage a K0.0001D, or think of another sensible name like the Pentax .
10-14-2007, 07:53 PM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
... But come January Pentax are going to drop a very beautiful yet potent bomb on the DSL industry. ...
here's my unsolicited advice to Pentoya marketing:

Don't refer to your new products as "bombs". Colloquially, a bomb is something that does not do well, often used in reference to abject failures.

Be careful in your attempts with earned media.