Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2007, 09:59 AM   #226
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
I'm sorry that you feel that way, but I can't remember what everyone writes to me. How could I?
I am a member of several forums discussing many different topics and I can't possibly remember what everyone writes to me, if I have mixed you up with someone else then I apologise.
I suppose. You posts at least here and DpR. Of course you can't remember everything nor can I. But if you understand what I mean then you can only be better next time, can't you?
As I said, I do NOT mean you should go away or that you're *only* annoying or (put whatever you want here). I just want to put fingers here and there where IMO you showed wrong attitude. Whoever feel free to do the same for me, I'm not perfect or any better than anyone else.

10-21-2007, 10:02 AM   #227
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I wouldn't compare you with Ricehigh, that is a bit... "hard" (sorry didn't find any other word to express that feeling) IMO. I would not even bother reading Ricehigh posts. I read yours. Not agreeing with you doesn't mean it has no interest to readyour posts.
Well I don't understand this about RiceHigh and Parallel universe really. Sounds quite silly to me.
He has unfortunately had bad experience with his Pentax equipment and the service in his country, they have not been able to cure the problems he has experienced. Since my Pentax DSLR's has been so fine I have not had the need to contact the service department, but I believe that if RiceHigh had got a better treatment by his local service personell then he would be a much happier customer. For customers in the same local area where he lives, I hope Pentax sorts out the problems with the service.
10-21-2007, 10:08 AM   #228
Veteran Member

Actually I still don't get it. If I write that my camera is working fine, when someone has found an issue with theirs, and then someone gets upset by me writing that my camera is working fine - then I don't understand how it could be me having a problem with attitude. We must be allowed to write when our products are working fine, to give a balance to the discussion. It is not negating other people's bad experiences when writing good experienices.
10-21-2007, 11:00 AM   #229
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Hmm, this is strange.
Why should a sensor designed by Pentax be better?
The Cypress 24x36 CMOS 14Megapixels unit??

10-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #230
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eziodoc Quote
ahhhh... thanks for bringing this thread back on track!. No bickering, blasting or convulsions - just plain, good ole speculation! - love it!
10-21-2007, 01:03 PM   #231
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by time-snaps Quote
ahhhh... thanks for bringing this thread back on track!. No bickering, blasting or convulsions - just plain, good ole speculation! - love it!
Yes I realized the last couple posts shoud have been posted in a dedicated section named "Flame wars" or something like that. We shall continue this in PM if it has to be continued.
10-21-2007, 01:20 PM   #232

Naa I think that the new camera will be like an old film slr (still have mine) but with a built in superduper scanner that converts it to pixels
Question is who will make the scannerhead.....

10-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #233
Veteran Member

That's a so-called "full-frame" sensor, something which is widely regarded as very unlikely to be seen in a Pentax in the near future.
10-21-2007, 02:59 PM   #234
Veteran Member

It is not important if the new sensor is made by Pentax or not, as long as it is not made by Sony.
Why? Simply because of Sony's close connection to Nikon. Nikon gets the development versions of teh sensors first, Nikon gets the mass delivery of the sensors first - the *ist D was delayed several months because Sony were busy delivering the sensor to Nikon and did not have production capacity left for Pentax. If Pentax continues with Sony, then this means that Pentax will always release new cameras long after Nikon and Sony has released theirs. Pentax has already the reputation of being a latecomer, this is not helped by Sony's decision to give Nikon priority.

So, Pentax needs a sensor maker that they can co-operate more closely with than what has been possible with Sony so far.

Kodak? Yeah, quite possible. They need a new customer now when Olympus has choosen Panasonic as main sensor supplier.
Samsung? They are making CMOS-sensors for cellphones, and I do believe they are developing new large format sensors (APS-C). But if they are ready or not yet, I don't know.
Panasonic? Could be, they may feel the need to broaden their market.
Cypress? I doubt it. They released news about a 9Mp CMOS APS-C sensor two years ago, but none seems to have bought it from them. It doesn't seem like Cypress are making imaging sensors for cameras any more, seems like they are concentrating on other markets.

There is one outsider: Sharp. Sharp is making the sensors for the Pentax Optio digicam's, they also deliver to Casio and many other makers. So, they have experience. Going up in size to APS-C would be perfectly possible for them I guess.
10-21-2007, 09:33 PM   #235
Veteran Member

Actually I still don't get it. If I write that my camera is working fine, when someone has found an issue with theirs, and then someone gets upset by me writing that my camera is working fine - then I don't understand how it could be me having a problem with attitude. We must be allowed to write when our products are working fine, to give a balance to the discussion. It is not negating other people's bad experiences when writing good experienices.
This is where your posts have actually had a negative effect on Pentax K10D service & firmware. You post so much to "balance" threads that you also do it for VPN threads.

You do have VPN. I've looked through your posted photos, and it comes up a few times. Your style of photography generally doesn't lend itself to showing it, but like all K10D's your darkframe readout design is identical to the other production K10D cameras.

So, the bottom line is that all your stupid "balancing" posts were extremely unproductive in trying to get a consensus to Pentax whose execs read these forums about a verified problem. Your more incessant posts contributed to an effect of blowing a possible firmware fix apparantly as the thought became they could get by with just waiting out the time for the new cameras to come out - hence my dismissed email citing one of your current posts of the time.

You ask what do people do with a firmware fix if their camera is working "fine". You obviously don't understand the VPN design issue in the K10D, and are lax enough to either not mind it on the few of your photos that have it, or you just don't know what to look for on your monitor.

This being the case, your decision to hold a crusade to counteract in your small way Pentax customer service/executives' possible thought that VPN is worth taking seriously - is blatantly uncalled for, and not in the spirit of "differing opinions" on a forum. YOUR K10D PRODUCES VPN.

Last edited by mutley; 10-21-2007 at 09:38 PM.
10-21-2007, 09:57 PM   #236
Veteran Member

So is there new bodies on the way?
10-21-2007, 10:21 PM   #237
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
snip
You do have VPN. I've looked through your posted photos, and it comes up a few times. Your style of photography generally doesn't lend itself to showing it, but like all K10D's your darkframe readout design is identical to the other production K10D cameras.

So, the bottom line is that all your stupid "balancing" posts were extremely unproductive in trying to get a consensus to Pentax whose execs read these forums about a verified problem. Your more incessant posts contributed to an effect of blowing a possible firmware fix apparantly as the thought became they could get by with just waiting out the time for the new cameras to come out - hence my dismissed email citing one of your current posts of the time.
snip

This being the case, your decision to hold a crusade to counteract in your small way Pentax customer service/executives' possible thought that VPN is worth taking seriously - is blatantly uncalled for, and not in the spirit of "differing opinions" on a forum. YOUR K10D PRODUCES VPN.
Please add me into the - that no VPN - column. I have experiences VPN on a few images but they were severly underexposed - shooting an executive in a blue pants/suit (female) against a glass wall with a white concrete flaring up. In order to to usable images I had to PP the heck out of them (brighten the shadows and pull the highlights). VPM shows up on her backside - but only if you blow it up - not a pretty site anyway.

If you expose within the limits of the system VPN is not - nor has it been an issue with my camera. So add me into the "what VPN" column. If your camera has VPN - then send it back or buy something else - just stop b*tching about other peoples stuff.

Now - let's get back to speculation - I still want a beer bottle opener on the next Pentax, will not buy one if it is not there. (Real beer does not come with twist off caps)

PDL - the elitist
10-21-2007, 11:44 PM   #238
Pentaxian

roadmap.

Now - let's get back to speculation - I still want a beer bottle opener on the next Pentax, will not buy one if it is not there. (Real beer does not come with twist off caps)

PDL - the elitist

Where is the road map? I can live without the bottle opener I'm still trying to figure out what all the buttons on th K10 do, and a bottle opener would distract me.

Seems to me that the road map should be delivered, and that this should be a priority.
10-22-2007, 12:22 AM   #239
Inactive Account

Sharp Sensor Speculation

There is one outsider: Sharp. Sharp is making the sensors for the Pentax Optio digicam's, they also deliver to Casio and many other makers. So, they have experience. Going up in size to APS-C would be perfectly possible for them I guess.
My guess has always been Samsung but I love this guess. I love Sharp products. Maybe APS-C is dead and they will release a smaller sensor, exchangeable lens camera and replace the K-Mount and an adapter for DFA or greater lenses would be the only ones to work. Won't that drive all the FF'ers insane? I would laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh.
Seriously, I hope they finally release the small camera that engineers here on this forum many months ago discussed to complement my pancakes. I used to be dead set against lithiums, being an AA fan, but my new iPod (with a Samsung D-to-A) has a 40 hour battery life. I didn't believe it, but I just tested it and it's true!
10-22-2007, 01:13 AM   #240
Inactive Account

Human eyeball sensor size

QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
Slim enough for me to put it well out of my mind and hope they just continue improving and expanding the non-FF system.
If God (or evolution) is used as a good designer to benchmark against, then the design goal for a sensor on an exchangeable lens camera will be as big as the back of a human eyeball, or maybe even an eagle's eyeball. Anything bigger than that reveals that technology is not yet as advanced as it could be. That's why I don't think FF makes any sense at all except to fill marketing demand that a large manufacturer with a large line of cameras can fill, but would be a niche, dead-end product and a regressive step that Pentax will avoid - even long-term, regardless of cost or selling price. I expect technology (ESPECIALLY silicon) to move towards smaller and lighter, not backwards to an old format. Pentax/Hoya wants to sell more glass, not have people use old lenses. They can't announce FF is dead because they still have alot of manufacturing equipment and designs in FF that people are buying so what capitalist is going to cut that business off?
If they ever want, or can afford to do a niche camera for the same market that buys Hummers to go to shopping, then the 'ace-in-the-hole' they have that will cater to the same demographic as FFer's is the 645D where they can compete on their terms, not C&N's. But, I would expect that a better way to spend R&D funds would be towards making cameras, lenses and sensors; and the resulting complete 'package' smaller, not bigger.
I really doubt that ancient (relatively) FF designs are going to out-perform any newly-design and manufactured lens in ANY future vapour-ware dream camera, even if it is FF. Any 'new' FF camera will come with its own set of new lenses. In the digital age, believing that 'good glass lasts a lifetime' is just folly. Sell your FF lenses now, because when (if, some would say) Pentax releases no new FF cameras, the market price for those old lenses is going to drop immediately. You have approx. 60 days... Or, if the cameras are amazing and still support K-Mount, then the demand and prices may temporarily go up, but buying any new lens because of FF capability is IMHO illogical.
When they released Windows 95 I thought it would be a flop because the MacOS was so much better. But, it was cheaper. Same with APS-C vs. FF. Because it's smaller, it will always be cheaper to make lenses - where the real money is.
This opinion is worth what you paid for it.

Last edited by Mr. The Guy; 10-22-2007 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Added one word