Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2007, 05:41 AM   #286
Inactive Account

Eh? Live-view in the viewfinder? What purpose would that serve Surely you'd lose the benefits of having a 'normal' viewfinder, and also not have the benefits of live-view on an LCD (shooting with the camera away from your face)...

"Live view in the viewfinder" sounds more like the crappy electronic viewfinders on cheaper fixed-lens cameras.

Sounds like a completely unfounded rumour to me, unless Pentax have suddenly gone completely mad

11-09-2007, 06:03 AM   #287
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
If the latest rumors are true, then Pentax comes with lifeview in the viewfinder.
I don't think that they're planning a electronic viewfinder. Rather, there's a mini sensor tucked into in the viewfinder area (with the metering and AF sensors, or more likely, replacing those) which then can be used to provide live-view on the LCD.

Or at least, that's how I interpret the rumor -- not saying that's what they're doing.
11-09-2007, 06:29 AM   #288
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
Eh? Live-view in the viewfinder? What purpose would that serve
I can think of a few: no more chimping, live histogram in the VF. And it doesn't have to replace the optical VF all the time. I think it's an intriguing possibility. I know I often miss the "image review in the VF" capability of my previous camera, a Fujifilm S5100.

But I agree that the optical VF should not be fully replaced by an electronic one.

Last edited by RBellavance; 11-09-2007 at 07:07 AM.
11-09-2007, 06:33 AM   #289
Veteran Member

Eh? Live-view in the viewfinder?
Haha, yeah. Of course the K10D already has "live view" in the viewfinder.
They all have. Hahaha.

11-09-2007, 07:20 AM   #290
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This appeared on a German forum:
QuoteQuote:
the focusing screen is provided with an EL display that can be formed thin, and since an object image picked up by an image pickup device is also displayed on the focusing screen by the EL display, an optical image of an object formed on the focusing screen and a live digital image of the same object displayed by the EL display can be selectively viewed through the viewfinder. According to this structure, the photographer can take a picture of an object while viewing a live digital image of the object through the viewfinder in an SLR digital camera while the viewfinder does not have to be provided with any switching mechanism such as that taught in the first publication for switching between the optical image and the live digital image, which facilitates the image switching operation and prevents the structure of the camera from becoming complicated.
11-09-2007, 07:30 AM   #291
Pentaxian

Link please ? (if possible of course)
11-09-2007, 10:02 AM   #292
Busiko

Eh? Live-view in the viewfinder? What purpose would that serve Surely you'd lose the benefits of having a 'normal' viewfinder, and also not have the benefits of live-view on an LCD (shooting with the camera away from your face)...

"Live view in the viewfinder" sounds more like the crappy electronic viewfinders on cheaper fixed-lens cameras.

Sounds like a completely unfounded rumour to me, unless Pentax have suddenly gone completely mad
With the new Pentax, when you attach a IS lens the mirror automatically flips up to allow for liveview both or either in the viwefinder or on the back LCD.

11-09-2007, 10:20 AM   #293
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
This appeared on a German forum:
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Link please ? (if possible of course)
A possible source for all this discussion can be found here. You can use the files on the link below. Note that each PDF file is a page of the DOC. You'll have to jump from one to another. Text starts at pdfdoc18.* If you are at ease with Flowcharts they are very clear.

Index of /NewPentax
11-09-2007, 10:50 AM   #294
Veteran Member

Kind of like the new NokiN? Is the D300 a hint at what Pentax will have?

Nikon D300 Hands-On Preview: 9. Displays: Digital Photography Review
11-09-2007, 12:16 PM   #295
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
A possible source for all this discussion can be found here. You can use the files on the link below. Note that each PDF file is a page of the DOC. You'll have to jump from one to another. Text starts at pdfdoc18.* If you are at ease with Flowcharts they are very clear.

Index of /NewPentax
VERY interesting stuff!

If I understand this right, the system will have life view on the LCD and also through the viewfinder, switching between the optical view and a display which is combined with the focus screen?
You will see either the optical image or the digital image, depending upon the mirror position?

It also looks like Pentax will also jump on the IS lens bandwagon.

I'll stay with my K10D for a while, unless it also supports ISO 6400 with low noise ...

- Bert
11-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #296
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
VERY interesting stuff!

If I understand this right, the system will have life view on the LCD and also through the viewfinder, switching between the optical view and a display which is combined with the focus screen?
You will see either the optical image or the digital image, depending upon the mirror position?

It also looks like Pentax will also jump on the IS lens bandwagon.

I'll stay with my K10D for a while, unless it also supports ISO 6400 with low noise ...

- Bert
Yes and Yes. That is also my interpretation. And SR is dropped. I can't see any reference on it in those papers. SR being dropped may mean larger sensor size. SR system would become bulkier with larger frame size.
11-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #297
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Haha, yeah. Of course the K10D already has "live view" in the viewfinder.
They all have. Hahaha.
My K10D besides "liveview" has "leaning view" that's why it is on her way to Germany(too far away) for repair. I miss it already.
11-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #298
Pentaxian

I'd see Pentax using IS lenses for bigger sensors (and 645) but staying with SR for APS-C.

Why not ...
11-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #299
Busiko

I'd see Pentax using IS lenses for bigger sensors (and 645) but staying with SR for APS-C.

Why not ...
Agreed....
11-09-2007, 04:50 PM   #300
Veteran Member

Why not ...
And removing in-body SR would mean they lose one of their marketing advantages to the "big two" - being that all the lenses that fit are stablized by the in-camera SR. I don't think that would be a good direction to go for them. (unless they're only concerned with their profitsss, which would not be good in my opinion.)