Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-29-2007, 05:29 PM   #406

Are you suggesting that the K10 I bought on the weekend wasn't a good idea and that I should return it and wait until January?

11-29-2007, 06:36 PM   #407
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
KxxD countdown T-56 days

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Thank you, appreciated..and yes I am bursting at the seams. When I say that what is coming is ground breaking for Pentax, that is my assessment based on the knowledge I have been privy to. Of course that is a subjective perception based on my own needs as a professional. Remember that I am shooting in studio and have very specific needs. This new Pentax falls directly in to that category.

In fact the new Pentax will be ground breaking in terms of the competitors as well. Remember about six months or so ago, many spoke of the demise of Pentax..I knew that to be totally fallacious. I am proud to be sponsored by Pentax and will say that they have been a wonderful partner indeed.

Best Wishes

Ben
So all you need to do is hold to the NDA for another 56 days. Wonder how long before details start leaking out of Malta or Russia ( past sources of leaks)? I ordered my K10D about 30 days before official announcement on the strength of leaks at that time. I don't "Need" the new body because I'm still trying to learn the K10D but am sure if the hints offered by the "In the know" people are right I'll figure out how to rationalize my way into one. Hope I can hold out until the price starts to drop a little.

Let's hope they manage to get it in the stores by springtime.

regards,

Ken
11-29-2007, 09:42 PM   #408
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote

A few more "slips" wouldn't hurt, I guess?
Actually that's up to Pentax themselves to make that call. Preannuncemnts cut bothways.

1) they can build enthusium for the new product.
2) they can kills sales of existing product.

If they have not existing product such as in the lens line where there is a lens roadmap
with no release dates hanging around, promises to produce product where there is none
is not harmful, but in the case of camera bodies where you have a successful product you
are only helping your competitors know what they are competing with, and shutting down your own sales to those who 'decide to wait'.
11-30-2007, 01:09 AM   #409
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k10newby Quote
Are you suggesting that the K10 I bought on the weekend wasn't a good idea and that I should return it and wait until January?
It depends, if you wan the latest and the greatest, maybe. But then if the new cameras will be nanounced january 24th, they could vailable onbly 2-3 months later. From now it makes 4-5 months. Long isn't it ?

On another Point of view, even now, the K10D is a VERY good deal, so much you can't be wrong really

11-30-2007, 03:09 AM   #410
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k10newby Quote
The k10D is a great camera that sells at a great price.
I expect the new model to sell at a higher price, more close to the competition (EOS 40D, Sony A700, Nikon D300).
12-04-2007, 05:22 AM   #411
Veteran Member

K10D will last at least 1 more year

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
The k10D is a great camera that sells at a great price.
I expect the new model to sell at a higher price, more close to the competition (EOS 40D, Sony A700, Nikon D300).
From a marketing point of view the pricing seems to be a little tight. Using B & H pricing after rebates for the body only the lineup today is:
K100D $370
K10D $600

That is a very narrow spread if you stick a K200D in the middle. The only logical thing to do would be to eliminate the rebate on the K10D when the new models are available. That would make the lineup something like:
K100D $370
K200D $500
K10D $700
K20D $1,100-$1,200

So if you are thinking about getting the K10D it might be wise to buy before the present rebate runs out. I could see the K20D dropping to the $900-$950 range within 8 to 10 months. This spread would allow Pentax to continue manufacturing all the models for at least another year.

Being a real optimist, I'm hoping a K2D with the same footprint as the K10D will be out next year. Now that Pentax has a source for sensors other than Sony I'm hoping it is an APS-H and can rival a FF sensor in IQ. Price? $1,500.
Regards,

Ken
12-06-2007, 02:28 AM   #412
Inactive Account

I visited a local Perth camera store today and was looking at the K10D, sales guy started talking to me and said they had just had a Pentax day last week with the Pentax rep out etc etc. I asked him if the Pentax rep mentioned the new bodies, he was taken aback and asked "What new bodies!" I started to explain about the rumours and he smiled and said ahhh just a rumour.

I said it is a pretty strong rumour and told him about Pentax forums - he was most interested and looked up on the internet and I pointed out this thread. He was most excited and immediately phoned CRKennedy (the Pentax distributor).

The distributor stated they had heard the rumour of new bodies but it is a hoax and they have official confirmation from Pentax that no new bodies will be released in 2008 - but they did confirm that there will be new lenses released next year.

So it seems in Australia at least the official word is no new Pentax bodies.

12-06-2007, 02:38 AM   #413
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Of course they wanna sell current bodies ...
12-06-2007, 04:41 AM   #414
Inactive Account

I seriously hope that there are new bodies announced in January - I would love to go back to the shop and say I told you so. And how much was it again you want for the K10D body?

But the distributor (CRK) was adamant that there are definitely no new bodies for Pentax planned for 2008 release. Any Aussies on here have a contact in CRK that can at least refute this claim?

Personally I believe Pentax have to announce new bodies in January (whether they have them or not) or else they will be absolutely hammered in the market place.

Unless they plan to start selling the K10D for about the same price as a current K100D and hope the extra volume leads to lens sales, their cash flows will dry up rapidly.

Looks like I might have to look at Nikon when the DS bites the dust - very sad
12-06-2007, 08:45 AM   #415

SO if pentax does announce new bodies in January, when can we expect the cameras to be released? I have a K100D now, and have been thinking of selling the body with a few manual and kmount lenses I have and upgrading to the K10D.

Then I kind of feel that the price that the K10 is going for right now, i wouldn't be bad to buy now either way. It would still make a great 2nd body once the new model is released. Only thing is convincing this theory to the lady.
12-06-2007, 09:58 AM   #416
JMS

QuoteOriginally posted by Flaco Quote
SO if pentax does announce new bodies in January, when can we expect the cameras to be released? I have a K100D now, and have been thinking of selling the body with a few manual and kmount lenses I have and upgrading to the K10D.

Then I kind of feel that the price that the K10 is going for right now, i wouldn't be bad to buy now either way. It would still make a great 2nd body once the new model is released. Only thing is convincing this theory to the lady.
The rumour is that announcements will be January 24th.
12-06-2007, 12:20 PM   #417
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
I seriously hope that there are new bodies announced in January - I would love to go back to the shop and say I told you so. And how much was it again you want for the K10D body?

But the distributor (CRK) was adamant that there are definitely no new bodies for Pentax planned for 2008 release. Any Aussies on here have a contact in CRK that can at least refute this claim?

Personally I believe Pentax have to announce new bodies in January (whether they have them or not) or else they will be absolutely hammered in the market place.

Unless they plan to start selling the K10D for about the same price as a current K100D and hope the extra volume leads to lens sales, their cash flows will dry up rapidly.

Looks like I might have to look at Nikon when the DS bites the dust - very sad
Don't worry..It's all Good. It seems that the guy at the store has a good sense of humor.

Ben
12-06-2007, 03:46 PM   #418
Veteran Member

Did he ring with you there Falcons? I talk to the guys at CRK occasionally, but have no need to for a while. Next time I am I'll pay it a mention.
12-07-2007, 04:17 AM   #419
Inactive Account

Yes. He phoned CRK right in front of me and the CRK guy said it is a hoax and they have official confirmation from Pentax that there will be no new bodies for 2008.

Perhaps they mean they wont be releasing them in OZ - I don't know.

But if Benjikan says there will be new bodies I will trust his word on it.
12-07-2007, 07:48 AM   #420

Usually Pentax headquarters don't inform anyone until thelast moment: not even worldwide corporation branches [!], maybe retailers not too.

So maybe CRK and Benjikan are both right.