Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #496
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ok, Ok...Everyone Relax. Pentax do have some design flaws, I agree. I would love it if their AF was a bit more accurate. I said a bit. I get somewhat nervous when I shoot in my scary low light set ups and feel compelled to double focus to be sure things are in focus, which I never even considered having to do with Canon. However, I will stick around for a couple of reasons. One is the glass and two is the belief that Pentax may just come out with a landmark camera body to compete with the other Big Three. I sincerely am very pleased with the output of the K20D and could keep on shooting with it for a while. I have been approached to consider going to another brand and said that I don't plan on changing right now. I did however leave the door open in the possible negative eventuality that when Pentax bring out their Pro version that it is "Lavender" plastic and includes two extra sets of shells in "Barbie Pink" and "Linsay Lohan Lime Green". That's when I'll move on.

Ben

12-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #497
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
1988:

Pentax 67 - top camera of fashion photographers WORLDWIDE, and one of the top 3 for landscape and archetectural photographers. Also used widely by portrait and studio professionals, and is acknowledged to be one of the finest cameras and lens systems in the world, and completely unique in format and handling.

Pentax 645 - one of the top 3 cameras worldwide for portrait and studio photography, right up there with Hasselblad and Mamiya and possibly Contax. Acknowledged to be one of the finest camera systems in the world.

Pentax 35mm - LX starting to get long in the tooth, but still widely regarded as a great pro camera, but Pentax also stuns the world with the announcement of the world's first autofocus lens. Also, the K1000 is still the top seller worldwide as the entry level camera of choice, and is used throughout the world as a photo student's learning tool.
You've got some selective memory there. Although Pentax did OK with medium format, Mamiya, Hasselblad and Bronica might take issue with your proclaimation of Pentax dominance there. I saw lots of wedding photographers using MF, but not one had a Pentax. For 35mm, I bought an LX when I was a young college guy, and I was *still* the only Pentax owner that I ever saw. When I worked at the college newspaper, everyone was shooting Nikon. In short, Pentax has been proclaimed as being in various stages of death for as long as I remember!
12-22-2008, 12:56 PM   #498
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because, of course, all great camera systems of the past dropped, fully realized, out of the sky at discount prices....
12-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #499

"PENTAX IS DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Is it the time of year, the weather, ...

Cambo feels he doesn't get respect because of his equipment, he's right, but its not because of his camera brand. There is no point in trying to make him feel better, you'll just come up short. It's no small wonder he feels the way he does, Pentax pays little heed to the lonely cry of those that want it bigger.

Pentax even seems more likely to be listening to those that have too much. Pentax seems determined to trim inches, offering smaller and smaller, and in a bold move, put their smallest in true to form, white. It doesn't even have a grip and is daintily held in the hand with finesse. I suppose that's why people think of it as being targeted for women. I'm pretty sure the tool is targeted for women, but I'm sure some men will find it a pleasure to have in their hands as well.

Last edited by poco; 12-22-2008 at 01:23 PM.
12-22-2008, 01:03 PM   #500
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by poco Quote
Is it the time of year, the weather, ...

Cambo feels he doesn't get respect because of his equipment, he's right, but its not because of his camera brand. There is no point in trying to make him feel better, you'll just come up short. It's no small wonder he feels the way he does, Pentax pays little heed to the lonely cry of those that want it bigger.

Pentax even seems more likely to be listening to those that have too much. Pentax seems determined to trim inches, offering smaller and smaller, and in a bold move, put their smallest in true to form, white. The K-M doesn't even have a grip. It is daintily held in the hand with finesse. I suppose that's why people think of it as being targeted for women. I'm pretty sure the tool is targeted for women, but I'm sure some men will find it a pleasure to have in their hands as well.
I can assure you, it is a lovely camera, that fits well ion my hands, though I do have small 'feminine' hands...
12-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #501
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
You've got some selective memory there. Although Pentax did OK with medium format, Mamiya, Hasselblad and Bronica might take issue with your proclaimation of Pentax dominance there. I saw lots of wedding photographers using MF, but not one had a Pentax. For 35mm, I bought an LX when I was a young college guy, and I was *still* the only Pentax owner that I ever saw. When I worked at the college newspaper, everyone was shooting Nikon. In short, Pentax has been proclaimed as being in various stages of death for as long as I remember!
This is getting a bit tedious but Pentax DOMINATED the fashion and outdoor/landscape market for medium format....
12-22-2008, 02:11 PM   #502
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Ben, since I already know about the January announcement, can you tell me what's next? You know, about that thing I promise not to tell anyone
(Now people will start thinking if I really know something. Or maybe not )
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Why green? Is there any meaning to this color?
Let me think...I know! You saw the green K-m prototype!
But I like the electric blue one better...

Btw, you can call me Alex if you don't like my nickname. I have some issues myself using 'Kunzite' after I found it's a pink stone, well, lesson learned - always look at the details even if they don't seems so important for the moment.
Too late to change it, though...
I work w/ jewelers. Any stone name is cool. I just thought "Hiddenite" fit your cryptic (hidden) "I know about the January announcement"

12-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #503
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
This is getting a bit tedious but Pentax DOMINATED the fashion and outdoor/landscape market for medium format....
TRUE...I had a pair of 6-7's. Built like a tank and those LENSES!
12-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #504
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
I work w/ jewelers. Any stone name is cool. I just thought "Hiddenite" fit your cryptic (hidden) "I know about the January announcement"
Hehe... in fact I think it's a little childish, and why on Earth it had to be a pink stone? But yes, it does sound cool

Not sure about a digital 6x7 but I'd love a digital 645 (I wouldn't afford one, though...). The huge viewfinder, that boxy shape that attract attention "look, he's a pro, he knows what he's doing!" - even if my pictures will turn out to be crap...
12-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #505
Inactive Account

OK, hands up now: if Pentax builds a pro camera for $3-4,000.00, how many of us will buy one? I WILL!!!! If it's any freaking good. I've been waiting and hoping and WISHING for one since 1995! Most of the pros, in the meantime, have GIVEN UP! THEY'VE GONE - YOU'VE LOST THEM.
I'll join you on that one.

When Pentax brought out the K10 and the K20 in quite close succession... (i was still using an IstDs) I was hoping that they would have followed up with a full frame camera. I couldn't hold off any longer tho, and at the price that the K20 dropped too (along with £100 cashback!!) it was unwise to wait any longer.

I just hope that Pentax will join the full frame market soon.
12-22-2008, 05:51 PM   #506
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Noncompusmentis Quote

*After* making a fast 85. Ok, really, I can wait.

Edit: Oh, wait a minute, there's that 77. Proceed.
12-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #507
Veteran Member

Some responses...

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Ok, Ok...Everyone Relax. Pentax do have some design flaws, I agree. I would love it if their AF was a bit more accurate. I said a bit. I get somewhat nervous when I shoot in my scary low light set ups and feel compelled to double focus to be sure things are in focus, which I never even considered having to do with Canon. However, I will stick around for a couple of reasons. One is the glass and two is the belief that Pentax may just come out with a landmark camera body to compete with the other Big Three. I sincerely am very pleased with the output of the K20D and could keep on shooting with it for a while. I have been approached to consider going to another brand and said that I don't plan on changing right now. I did however leave the door open in the possible negative eventuality that when Pentax bring out their Pro version that it is "Lavender" plastic and includes two extra sets of shells in "Barbie Pink" and "Linsay Lohan Lime Green". That's when I'll move on.
Ben
In dim light, they hunt and peck like a 60-year-old learning to email for the first time, with two fingers or less - vrrrmmmm.....vrrrrmmmmm....vrrrrmmmmmm, back and forth... it's painful to watch. Ever tried a really high-end Canon - Holy ******* **** they are FAST - just nuts - you wouldn't think it's possible. And the focussing can keep up with the frame rate magnificently. And silently. B-R-R-A-T-T-T-T-T. 9 frames a second, refocussing between each if the need be.

As far as the fashion colours, they're not far off from that now, matey. Your wish of a pink camera, that is. At least the pink will go with the black focus ring and camera trim a little better...

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
Sorry, but you're dreaming. See below...

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Thank you, fellow curmudgeon. I am but a humble curmudgeonette in the presence of your magnificent, masterful curmudgeonry, your imperial curmudgeoness.

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
TRUE...I had a pair of 6-7's. Built like a tank and those LENSES!
Yup. And that mirror going 'Ker-LAK!' like the recoil from a 12 guage shotgun blast. Magnificent machine. All in the dim dark past, I'm afraid. The company is teetering on the brink of total demise, totally lost in a vast blank mindless void, a marketing wasteland, and they come out with 'The White ******* Plastic Gawd**** Camera Bail-out Plan'...yeah, that'll work. People will REALLY want to buy your other cameras after seeing that litte baby...

QuoteOriginally posted by Noncompusmentis Quote

When Pentax brought out the K10 and the K20 in quite close succession... (i was still using an IstDs) I was hoping that they would have followed up with a full frame camera. I couldn't hold off any longer tho, and at the price that the K20 dropped too (along with £100 cashback!!) it was unwise to wait any longer.

I have held off on EVERY camera for a long time, including the *ist D (they can't even coime up with a decent NAME these days), thinking they must be going to get serious soon, surely to gawd. Five years later, here we are, twiddling our thumbs. I haven't even bought a K20D yet, thinking 'it's just around the corner...'. I can't make up my mind whether to buy one of those or just bail out and sell everything, like I've been thinking for the last 10 ******* YEARS. The ONLY thing keeping me here is my magnificent collection of glass.

Face it... their cameras suck. I'm sorry. They do NOT do their lenses justice. It's like we're dealing with two different companies - the lens company, which is magnificent, world class, a leader in their field, and then there's the camera company, a distant also-ran, which is run by either a bunch of morons or a bunch of dope smoking drunks or something...it's just ******* wierd.

Sincerely,
Cameron
Really ******* fed up....

White plastic ******* cameras....******* LUNATICS.....

Last edited by Cambo; 12-22-2008 at 06:37 PM.
12-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #508

Cambo...So I guess you need to chill the **** out. Go to the ******* Nikonians forum which should serve you well...******* do something besides blow your *******piehole here. You have nothing positive to ******* say you ******* idiot*
12-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #509
Veteran Member

Cambo, you're still ranting about the white camera. Hmm, as you list your occupation as a graphic designer, I'm surprised you're still not open enough to accept such a colour for such a product...

If you're disappointed and unhappy that Pentax has little more to offer, then why not do the right thing and make the switch to some other brand rather than hold out and complaining about it. I'm sure some other brand have the right tools for you. Better to be happy rather than prolong your misery.
12-22-2008, 06:47 PM   #510

OK, I'm guilty of stooping to your level in my above post, but somebody needs to let you know what an idiot you are in your own language so you can comprehend....OK? ok...

Being a graphic designer or artist or ****** of some sort, it seems you are only interested in matching colors, as you stated in the poll thread you started a few days back. Pentax is blazing their own trail and its like the end of the world for you...aaagggghhhhh...

Its just a hunk of synthetic materials that produces photos....If you dont likey, go elsewhere cowboy. I think Fuji would seem to fit you--outdated and full of promise but no future...