Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2008, 05:18 AM   #556
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Forecast calls for a foot of snow tomorrow, so Christmas day in the mountains of Montana will be great and the images our family shoots will be lots of fun and shot with several Pentax bodies--both film and digital. I promise to take more sledding photos than boring--"here's our tree" photos (though we hiked into the hill beside our house to find our tree--$5 U.S. Forest Service Christmas Tree Permit--no kidding). And I promise not to waste energy taking horrible pet photos--though my 13 year old will "flash shoot" the dog 'til it gets sunburned. Enjoy the holiday season!
Fabulous! I envy you. No snow here. Just wet and dark. So I'm mainly shooting relatives

12-25-2008, 05:33 AM   #557
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Yes, indeed interesting.
247nino, could you please post some photos you have taken in this way?
Ahh, sorry, was still two pages up the thread.
Best looking plumber I have ever seen
12-25-2008, 10:19 AM   #558
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 247nino Quote

Well I am not the one with the D700 or the 5Dmk2 but if I pay around $2700, my image quality better be lightyears away from a $750 Pentax at 1.5x crop...
thats my point really, that IQ from the D700 is comparable to an almost 1 year old non full frame. And Sony... lets not talk about that A900 flop... have you even played with that camera for yourself; fail.

I think the only part where you and I disagree is that the only IQ smoking the K20D's right now is the D3. Pentax is consistent and I think the other 2 brands are as well. Nikon has great IQ and tonality. Canon can be sharp but has software and AF problems(ask 40D, 1Dmk3 users). And Pentax...

I'm still confused as to why you say "only" the D3 when the D700 IQ is identical.

The other camera makers make cameras which are also quite capable photographic machines, and often morseo than anything offered by pentax, at an appropriately higher price. For the record, as far as "smoking" the K20D... try playing with some ISO 200 RAW files from the A900. Amazing detail and Dynamic range. I get the impression that your insistence on dismissing other brand's products as near-worthless is more in the realm of fanboyism than real observation.
12-25-2008, 03:22 PM   #559
Veteran Member

Hmm could someone send me a message if they know anything about some new cameras? As I'm thinking of upgrading soon and if pentax don't come out with a newer k20d I might switch to the canon 5dmk II but its alot of cash to spend and means new lens and everything :S

12-25-2008, 03:58 PM   #560
Pentaxian

We all know new cameras are expected next year - and I expect a significant step up from K20D. What kind of cameras, however... I can only guess.
But if you can, maybe you should wait a little - in the mean time, Canon could fix the black dot issue (not that's such a big issue).
12-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #561
Veteran Member

are they expected though? The k20d hasn't been out a year yet and the norm seems to be every 2 years.
12-25-2008, 04:49 PM   #562
Pentaxian

1.5 years between K10D and K20D That would put it's replacement in autumn (around September? There is no Photokina next year).
If the rumors I've heard are correct, we'll see something interesting well before that. It might be what you want, or it might be not - so it all depends if you want to and can wait a little bit.
Ah, PMA could also be interesting

12-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #563
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
1.5 years between K10D and K20D That would put it's replacement in autumn (around September? There is no Photokina next year).
If the rumors I've heard are correct, we'll see something interesting well before that. It might be what you want, or it might be not - so it all depends if you want to and can wait a little bit.
Ah, PMA could also be interesting
im betting PMA will be, I cant really be disappointed though, unless they release an even smaller form factor SLR or one the same size as the K-m with more features... I cant wait to see the 55mm * lens though. it just may be the first DA lens I spend money on (not counting the kit lens.)
12-25-2008, 04:54 PM   #564
Veteran Member

Ah I hate waiting...think I'll treat myself to the da 35mm although I'd prefer the sdm and watertightness of the sdm 50mm but its not here yet and I bet it'll be rediculosly expensive for what it is?
12-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #565
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
Ah I hate waiting...think I'll treat myself to the da 35mm although I'd prefer the sdm and watertightness of the sdm 50mm but its not here yet and I bet it'll be rediculosly expensive for what it is?
considering it was meant to be on par with the ever fabled A* 85mm 1.4, and a lot of R&D apparently went into it, I can only assume it will be quite expensive. if I do decide to grab it I may have to sell some lenses to do so. on a good note though, I think if nothing else in the near future, this lens will make a lot of canon and nikon users take a second look at Pentax.
12-25-2008, 05:07 PM   #566
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
im betting PMA will be, I cant really be disappointed though, unless they release an even smaller form factor SLR or one the same size as the K-m with more features... I cant wait to see the 55mm * lens though. it just may be the first DA lens I spend money on (not counting the kit lens.)
I won't bet against you on this
Myself, I don't want to put much hopes - on timing or the camera itself. Delays can always occur, and Pentax has a history of making near perfect cameras
Don't expect much, be pleasantly surprised later
12-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #567
Veteran Member

Pentax already announced price for 55mm 1.4 SDM: $799

I read the price somewhere credible, its $799 to start and has no screw drive for autofocus so no af function on film bodies & non sdm dslrs.

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
12-25-2008, 07:40 PM   #568
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Fabulous! I envy you. No snow here. Just wet and dark. So I'm mainly shooting relatives
run out of relatives yet.......
12-26-2008, 01:19 AM   #569
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I'm still confused as to why you say "only" the D3 when the D700 IQ is identical.

The other camera makers make cameras which are also quite capable photographic machines, and often morseo than anything offered by pentax, at an appropriately higher price. For the record, as far as "smoking" the K20D... try playing with some ISO 200 RAW files from the A900. Amazing detail and Dynamic range. I get the impression that your insistence on dismissing other brand's products as near-worthless is more in the realm of fanboyism than real observation.

D3/D700 true... both great pieces, just not my type
sony... like I said, picked it up, didnt like it, put it back and now I have my opinion

fanboy, also true; but arent you? and if you aren't then why havent you sold your Pentax yet?

My main and only point, ====> give me $2000(to upgrade) + $700(for my K20) + buy my lenses for fair market value and then give me $2000 on top of that(to cover a similar rage of focal lengths and primes), so that I can choose between a D3/700 or 5Dmk2...

I'm done here, my professional opinion isnt worth much to you and I dont have a problem with that.

-Nino
(Pentax Fanboy)
12-26-2008, 04:41 AM   #570

QuoteOriginally posted by 247nino Quote
Unfortunately it can't be turned down, so far I've shot nightlife using this and on a couple of photo shoots, I am usually strobing/ using a flash so it usually gets overpowered and doesnt give any color cast. These are perfect for me and I get enough light even if my subjects are up to 15 feet away, the help the K10/20 focus quite fast.
Very interesting! What type of flash bracket setup do you use? This would be PERFECT for me and it seems like a lot of other Pentax shooters. Great find!

I'm thinking about using it with the Demb Bracket or perhaps something even cheaper. Basically, I thinking of a setup where the LED is on the hotshoe and the strobe on the bracket. What's easy for you to use?