Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2008, 06:16 AM   #571
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
Hmm could someone send me a message if they know anything about some new cameras? As I'm thinking of upgrading soon and if pentax don't come out with a newer k20d I might switch to the canon 5dmk II but its alot of cash to spend and means new lens and everything :S
Hoya has been very strict with product leaks, so I don't think anyone here can help you out with info on new cameras. We can only speculate.

I'm not married to the Pentax brand, but as much as I would love to have a 5D Mark II, D700, or an A900, limited finances just won't allow me to get one of those plus an all-around-er lens (and no, I'm not parting with my Pentax stuff just to finance those higher-end buys).

That, and little things like $30 50/1.4's that meter fully on Pentax's newest DSLRs (others have found even better deals, for sure). My friend rocking a D40 has to save up still for a fast fifty that the camera could meter with for his body.

12-26-2008, 06:54 AM   #572
wll
Veteran Member

I'm Waiting !

I have a couple of DS's and two K10D's. I have used both for product shots and general photography, and think they are both great cameras.

I have ordered a 14-50 F2.8 and a 50-135 F2.8 and waiting for them to arrive. They will sit along side my many K mount lenses in my camera safe waiting to be called upon at a moments notice :-)

I was planning on purchasing a K20, but decided to wait till the next model comes out. Even though the sensor on the K20D is FAR superior to the K10D and it's low light ability FAR surpasses the K10D, I decided to hold off. I think the K30D (or whatever it's called) will be a dream come true. I'm betting it will be a very good low light performer with great dynamic range and faster auto focusing. If it has more fps thats a plus, but that is not real important to me as it is with other folks.

So I'll just sit on the sidelines and wait for an official Pentax statement .... the wait I don't think will be that far away.

wll
12-26-2008, 08:02 AM   #573
Veteran Member

Samsung's coming out w/ different 4/3 body & lenses

Samsung CEO announced a while back they are developing a different 4/3 type system and their own lenses for it. So I think thats what we'll see from them. Whether hoya-pentax catches this wave or not remains to be seen.

I added Canon 5D and assorted glass in 2008 when K20D issued at $1,299. I paid $450 more for my 5D brand new versus buying a freshly offered K20D. 5D2 is intersting and I've handled one with the new 24mm 1.4 II but instead I'll add a D700 and 14-24/2.8 by this fall.

Once you add another brand to your pentax bag, then adding a third camera maker doesn't seem so weird.

I really like my K20D but thesedays for me I'll own two and soon three brands as full frame dslrs become evermore affordable. Instead of a K30D or 5DMarkII I'd rather add a full frame nikon with its very reasonable 12mp sensor size.

I know many say $2699 is way to much money for 5D2 or any camera in these trying times. Some speculate canon sells very few of these bodies. If one visits B&H and then trys to sign up for their 5D2 waiting list you'll see the demand for this new issue full frame dslr has shut down the waiting list.

Canon | EOS 5D Mark II Digital Camera (Camera Body) | 2764B003

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Hoya has been very strict with product leaks, so I don't think anyone here can help you out with info on new cameras. We can only speculate.

I'm not married to the Pentax brand, but as much as I would love to have a 5D Mark II, D700, or an A900, limited finances just won't allow me to get one of those plus an all-around-er lens (and no, I'm not parting with my Pentax stuff just to finance those higher-end buys).

That, and little things like $30 50/1.4's that meter fully on Pentax's newest DSLRs (others have found even better deals, for sure). My friend rocking a D40 has to save up still for a fast fifty that the camera could meter with for his body.
12-26-2008, 09:17 AM   #574
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 247nino Quote
D3/D700 true... both great pieces, just not my type
sony... like I said, picked it up, didnt like it, put it back and now I have my opinion

fanboy, also true; but arent you? and if you aren't then why havent you sold your Pentax yet?

My main and only point, ====> give me $2000(to upgrade) + $700(for my K20) + buy my lenses for fair market value and then give me $2000 on top of that(to cover a similar rage of focal lengths and primes), so that I can choose between a D3/700 or 5Dmk2...

I'm done here, my professional opinion isnt worth much to you and I dont have a problem with that.

-Nino
(Pentax Fanboy)
Unfortunately, I haven't bought my pentax yet. Actually, I suppose I'll be selling my old K1000 to help finance a K20D, so no, I haven't sold my pentax yet. I spent a couple hours yesterday shooting with my trusty Olympus E-330, which will also be sold (at a bargain) along with my 4/3 lenses (close to retail). I've always been fond of pentax (my first camera, after all) but I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy. If the recent E-30 announcement were weathersealed and lower-priced, I'd probably be sticking with Olympus, as I already have some decent glass. I'm glad I looked again at pentax, though, I really do think the K20D is the best value on the market and I tend to prefer primes.

Your opinion I consider to be as valuable as anyone elses, I just happen to disagree with some of it. I think we can certainly agree to disagree in an agreeable manner, right?

12-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #575
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Your opinion I consider to be as valuable as anyone elses, I just happen to disagree with some of it. I think we can certainly agree to disagree in an agreeable manner, right?
No problem with that at all.

this back and forth with you has urged me to consider the 2 other systems, again, because I've done it before. Frankly, I'd love to have newer faster gear, but the other options just arent going to be worth my upgrade. I will stay with Pentax because its weather sealed. At one of my gigs this year, Champagne drenched my K20D, I was not upset, but I did laugh and everyone was impressed at my weather sealed body. I will stay because I love the lenses that fit; all the millions of them and a lot of the new ones, and yes especially the primes.
12-26-2008, 01:14 PM   #576

Nino,

What type of flash bracket setup do you have for the LED assist light? And how exactly is your setup put together? They sell those LED lights at my supermarket for cheap so I'm already on it. Now I'm looking for ideas.

I actually saw it at the supermarket last week, checked it out, and inwardly laughed at it because it was so cheap that I thought it was useless. But you learn something new every day.
12-26-2008, 02:03 PM   #577
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suppose it makes some sense if Samsung goes looking for its own not-directly-competing-with-Pentax niche. Their own clones of Pentax models seemed pretty redundant.

12-26-2008, 02:15 PM   #578
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 247nino Quote
I will stay with Pentax because its weather sealed. At one of my gigs this year, Champagne drenched my K20D, I was not upset, but I did laugh and everyone was impressed at my weather sealed body. I will stay because I love the lenses that fit; all the millions of them and a lot of the new ones, and yes especially the primes.
This is actually one of those things where I thought it was utterly foolish of other makers to not spring for the o-rings... even an 'amateur' camera... one of the good reasons to *use* an amateur camera can be that there's less sweat factor about it, but you can't affor to fry a 'mere' six or eight hundred dollars in consumer electronics any more than twelve, ..never mind seventeen.
12-26-2008, 05:48 PM   #579
Veteran Member

Weather sealing is really the big thing for me here as well, as otherwise I can make quite good images with my old gear (though you can bet I'll appreciate that K20D sensor). I just wish there were some more affordable, smaller weathersealed lenses. Or even a few more with rubber o-rings around the mount like the 17-70. I suspect if they put out sealed versions of the kit lenses they could do it without adding to much to the cost, though my ideal would be a sealed DA 40. I mean, it's one thing to be able to carry it anywhere because it's compact, but if you have to worry about the rain the convenience still isn't totally there.
12-26-2008, 05:58 PM   #580
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Unfortunately, I haven't bought my pentax yet. Actually, I suppose I'll be selling my old K1000 to help finance a K20D, so no, I haven't sold my pentax yet. I spent a couple hours yesterday shooting with my trusty Olympus E-330, which will also be sold (at a bargain) along with my 4/3 lenses (close to retail). I've always been fond of pentax (my first camera, after all) but I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy. If the recent E-30 announcement were weathersealed and lower-priced, I'd probably be sticking with Olympus, as I already have some decent glass. I'm glad I looked again at pentax, though, I really do think the K20D is the best value on the market and I tend to prefer primes.

I was also hoping that the E-30 would be weather-sealed, so that makes two of us here. Had that come to pass, that E-30 (let's assume it's priced somewhere close to the street price of the K20D or maybe the 40D) plus the very decently-priced 14-54 lens would make a cost-effective, sealed DSLR kit (with pretty decent range and relatively fast apertures). Sadly, Olympus chose to still charge a premium for weather-sealing, and I'm not about to drop ~$1500 for the E-3.

On the flip side, I'm still waiting for Pentax to fix their DA* 16-50 production issues. The 50-135 looks good from all accounts (and without the issues, to boot), but the range I usually work on is that 16-50 range.

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Samsung CEO announced a while back they are developing a different 4/3 type system and their own lenses for it. So I think thats what we'll see from them. Whether hoya-pentax catches this wave or not remains to be seen.

I added Canon 5D and assorted glass in 2008 when K20D issued at $1,299. I paid $450 more for my 5D brand new versus buying a freshly offered K20D. 5D2 is intersting and I've handled one with the new 24mm 1.4 II but instead I'll add a D700 and 14-24/2.8 by this fall.

Once you add another brand to your pentax bag, then adding a third camera maker doesn't seem so weird.

I really like my K20D but thesedays for me I'll own two and soon three brands as full frame dslrs become evermore affordable. Instead of a K30D or 5DMarkII I'd rather add a full frame nikon with its very reasonable 12mp sensor size.

I know many say $2699 is way to much money for 5D2 or any camera in these trying times. Some speculate canon sells very few of these bodies. If one visits B&H and then trys to sign up for their 5D2 waiting list you'll see the demand for this new issue full frame dslr has shut down the waiting list.
Canon | EOS 5D Mark II Digital Camera (Camera Body) | 2764B003
Well, with the many pros using Canon, there's no doubt that there would be great initial demand for the 5D Mk II. I really don't think it's weird to have multiple systems, only expensive. I'm actually thinking of diversifying and trying out rangefinders via those numerous Russian Leica clones, but I'm still hesitant about the penalties rangefinders inherently possess. My main concern is parallax error, polarizing and ND filters, plus possible VF misalignment you wouldn't realize until after developing a roll of film. I guess I'm just very used to SLRs.

My first DSLR was a 300D. Though I sold it to finance the purchase of another brand, I learned a lot with that camera, even though I only paired it with the much-panned kit lens (being a student back then, I had no money for other lenses).

In a couple of years when Nikon might already be marketing a D1000 (or something), I might try out a used D700, but only if Pentax still haven't released a 135 format DSLR. Even with cheaper bodies, the lenses still presents a financial bottleneck for me.
12-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #581
Veteran Member

You might want to recheck the Oly E3 price, its been dropping

Oly E3 is down $150 in past month in usa market.

Now $1249. Maybe its becoming more affordable in your area too?

Olympus | E-3 SLR Digital Camera (Camera Body) | 262010 | B&H

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I was also hoping that the E-30 would be weather-sealed, so that makes two of us here. Had that come to pass, that E-30 (let's assume it's priced somewhere close to the street price of the K20D or maybe the 40D) plus the very decently-priced 14-54 lens would make a cost-effective, sealed DSLR kit (with pretty decent range and relatively fast apertures). Sadly, Olympus chose to still charge a premium for weather-sealing, and I'm not about to drop ~$1500 for the E-3.

On the flip side, I'm still waiting for Pentax to fix their DA* 16-50 production issues. The 50-135 looks good from all accounts (and without the issues, to boot), but the range I usually work on is that 16-50 range.

Well, with the many pros using Canon, there's no doubt that there would be great initial demand for the 5D Mk II. I really don't think it's weird to have multiple systems, only expensive. I'm actually thinking of diversifying and trying out rangefinders via those numerous Russian Leica clones, but I'm still hesitant about the penalties rangefinders inherently possess. My main concern is parallax error, polarizing and ND filters, plus possible VF misalignment you wouldn't realize until after developing a roll of film. I guess I'm just very used to SLRs.

My first DSLR was a 300D. Though I sold it to finance the purchase of another brand, I learned a lot with that camera, even though I only paired it with the much-panned kit lens (being a student back then, I had no money for other lenses).

In a couple of years when Nikon might already be marketing a D1000 (or something), I might try out a used D700, but only if Pentax still haven't released a 135 format DSLR. Even with cheaper bodies, the lenses still presents a financial bottleneck for me.
12-26-2008, 06:53 PM   #582
Veteran Member

If the E-30 stays at the announced price for a while the E-3 should cost less than the E-30 in a matter of months. How ironic.
12-26-2008, 07:05 PM   #583
Veteran Member

with FF becoming more common, I don't see 4/3 being a long-term option except for *maybe* the micro4/3. The Zuiko lenses are very nice, but it is a crowded field. Hard to justify going with a smaller sensor than APS unless you're getting something in return. The Panny G1 realizes some of that, the Olys not so much.
12-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #584
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
with FF becoming more common, I don't see 4/3 being a long-term option except for *maybe* the micro4/3. The Zuiko lenses are very nice, but it is a crowded field. Hard to justify going with a smaller sensor than APS unless you're getting something in return. The Panny G1 realizes some of that, the Olys not so much.
I think people are going to be very surprised when they see how popular Micro 4/3rds will be. The original 35mm camera was developed to be small, light, and unobtrusive. In spite of the advanced amateur's love for big, powerful cameras, there's always going to be a *very* large market for easy to carry yet high quality cameras.
12-26-2008, 07:51 PM   #585
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
I think people are going to be very surprised when they see how popular Micro 4/3rds will be. The original 35mm camera was developed to be small, light, and unobtrusive. In spite of the advanced amateur's love for big, powerful cameras, there's always going to be a *very* large market for easy to carry yet high quality cameras.
I agree, but Oly's 4/3 cameras are not small and light. The G1 is closer to the mark. The problem then becomes the lenses. There are adapters for Leica M glass, and that solved the IQ and small/light issue, but not the cost unless you already own the lenses. It is interesting that while Leica and Panasonic have collaborated on 4/3 and P&S, there are no Leica lenses out (or rumored) for micro 4/3.

The other thing is that small sensor cameras are getting so good (my Leica Dlux4 makes amazing images - 24/f2!) the advantage to going 4/3 sensor isn't as obvious. Add in the Sigma APS sensor P&S and you've got a very complicated landscape.

One reason I like Pentax is that the K20d is a pretty reasonable camera to carry around with a prime on the front. Now, if Pentax is working on a micro 4/3 body that could use existing primes that might be interesting. But I'd be surprised if that were the case. Seems they're going to stick with Samsung and APS and maybe resurrect the 645D. But I'm not holding my breath on any of it. I just would like the 15ltd to hit the streets...