Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
(P.S. any pics to share?)
I find the screen gets really slow... than auto focus kinda goes... but like was said above the batteries work well...

02-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #17
Pentaxian

That's pretty impressive. Must be the weather sealing? I've seen digital SLR's wither in minutes in that kind of weather. Of course, even film cameras that can operate w/o a battery aren't much better because the film tends to crumble even with a very gentle turn of the lever...

(P.S. any pics to share?)

-33C (plus some wind chill but at this temperature it's hard to tell this was the 2 hour outing

Even bloody colder the same spot at night ( I lasted about 25 minutes the camera was fine)

02-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Eddie that last one feels cold!
02-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I can testify it was pretty bitter

02-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Nice stuff, guys! I can imagine that the AF would slow down. Gods know I do....

@Eddie, is that way out on the western edge of Centre Isle?
02-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Nice stuff, guys! I can imagine that the AF would slow down. Gods know I do....

@Eddie, is that way out on the western edge of Centre Isle?
Nope Cherry beach, I take the dog there for his walks. until the pan am games ruins it this is the best spot in the city to get away. it's like going to the cottage

No issues with AF getting slow today and i was out a little more than an hour on the way home

the shots above were with an M 28 f3.5 so no worries about AF there
02-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
no worries about AF there
to be fair I was using sigma with hsm... and it could have been the lose of feeling in my finger that I use for autofocus....
02-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Nope Cherry beach, I take the dog there for his walks. until the pan am games ruins it this is the best spot in the city to get away. it's like going to the cottage

No issues with AF getting slow today and i was out a little more than an hour on the way home

the shots above were with an M 28 f3.5 so no worries about AF there
That area will be on my new cycle commute to work. I'm in a new place in the Beaches (don't care what they voted on calling it) and looking forward to the trip.

02-10-2011, 05:51 AM   #24
Pentaxian

That area will be on my new cycle commute to work. I'm in a new place in the Beaches (don't care what they voted on calling it) and looking forward to the trip.
you'll be passing by me regularly then, i'm in what real estate agents call Leslieville. Cherry beach is a regular haunt for walking the dog. Ceilie cottage a regular haunt for a decent pint
02-10-2011, 07:19 AM   #25
Veteran Member

you'll be passing by me regularly then, i'm in what real estate agents call Leslieville. Cherry beach is a regular haunt for walking the dog. Ceilie cottage a regular haunt for a decent pint
Yup, passed through that area this morning on the 502. I was a bit surprised to see "Leslieville" on the maps when I got back, and to see how the neighbourhood's changed of late. I'm keen to get my PC back together and start producing some images again. The film is piling up.

BTW, I don't know if you shoot film at all but if you know where I could find some Ilford HP5 for less than $8 a roll I'd be grateful to learn of it. It's twice what I was paying in Tokyo....
02-10-2011, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Yup, passed through that area this morning on the 502. I was a bit surprised to see "Leslieville" on the maps when I got back, and to see how the neighbourhood's changed of late. I'm keen to get my PC back together and start producing some images again. The film is piling up.

BTW, I don't know if you shoot film at all but if you know where I could find some Ilford HP5 for less than $8 a roll I'd be grateful to learn of it. It's twice what I was paying in Tokyo....
no such thing as cheap film in Toronto, i order mine from freestyle photo in the US. even when there was a premium on the dollar it was cheaper
For labs Pikto in the Distillery is good but not cheap. if you are shooting any 35mm colour the Shoppers at king and yonge processes and scans for $3 a roll best deal in the city and they do a decent job unlike many mini labs (they do a pretty booming business from what i can tell)
02-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Great shots Eddie, but back to the new W, because I'm interested.
I bought a W80 last summer (the first P&S I've owned in four decades of shooting) and was so impressed with the quality of images, that now I'm payng attenton to the P&S market. My thoughts:
I found the 12 MP of the W80 good enough for cover reproduction, so 14 MP sounds like overkill and mostly a marketing ploy. Like another poster, I wonder about cramming so many pixels onto such a small sensor, and unless the sensor is bigger, 14 MP doesn't do anything for me, and in fact makes me cautious. Does it have a better lens to handle higher resolution?
Seldom is lens quality discussed with such cameras, and since becoming interested in this market, I've become interested in Panasonic, because of the Leica lenses. My bottom line is IQ.
I understand why they included a locking carabeener (sp?), especially since Outside Magazine named the W90 camera of the year, but I only use Ws for underwater and would remove it. I suspect the 14 MP and carabeener are aimed away from my interests and toward a Tim Allen type market: more power, ugh, ugh, ugh.
Sure love the looks of this thing, though. Most attractive design I've seen.
It's early, but I find no mention of the things I don't like about the W series: shutter lag, small sensor and LCD size. I see that the LCD is the same size, with possible improvements in illumination. Battery life in the W80 is a problem, but if the new 1 features the same battery, it probably isn't better. On the other hand, I already have spare batteries.
The GPS feature seems a bit silly to me, unless you also can use it like a regular GPS to relocate positions. I'm old, but I don't suffer from memory loss yet. In all my years, I've never not remembered where I took a shot. I read somewhere, however, that it will be available without GPS for about $50 less.
Finally the price turns me off. The suggest retail price I found was about $400. For just a little more, I can get a really good Sealife camera designed specifically for underwater.
Now, I realize I'm not the typical customer, but these are my thoughts and questions.
02-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Ron if i lived somewhere underwater photography had more than a 2 month window and something other than murky lake water to shoot in I'd be in your boat and interested in this. Always wanted a nikonos when i was younger and used to go diving but they were crazy expensive in relation to my income at the time
02-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I poke around at some underwater websites, Eddie, and find what they spend amazing: $3,000 to $4,000 just for a housing. That doesn't include the camera, the dive gear and all the other things. Way out of my league. I don't dive, but found the Optio adaquate to get publishable underwater shots in fresh water for very little cost. Besides that, it's a lot of fun. So when a new underwater P&S comes along, I'm interested.
02-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
I poke around at some underwater websites, Eddie, and find what they spend amazing: $3,000 to $4,000 just for a housing. That doesn't include the camera, the dive gear and all the other things. Way out of my league. I don't dive, but found the Optio adaquate to get publishable underwater shots in fresh water for very little cost. Besides that, it's a lot of fun. So when a new underwater P&S comes along, I'm interested.

I remember you mentioning you'd sold a few on another thread.
Yep dive housings get pretty crazy (they have to be good to much greater depths and are sold in such small numbers they are pretty much a custom item) I think now days more pro divers shoot video as well as it is easier to sell on
The Nikonos is still the best conceived underwater camera i've ever seen. If Nikon reintroduced the Nikonos V with no changes it would still sell despite being a film camera and limited therefore in the number of shots. if they would revamp it into a Nikonos VI Digital for instance I think they could sell a boatload to people still using the old ones. the lenses are already designed no cost involved from that end beyond perhaps a rear coating. It would need to be FF though, but i bet they could put ti out there for 3-4 grand and sell a ton. Sea and Sea made a lot of Nikonos accessories at one point

I would be a damn neat concept for their pending pro Evil Ii think