Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #31
Veteran Member

One thing I never see discussed concerning underwater P&S, or P&S in general, is the quality of the glass. From years of experience with DSLRs, I've realized the importance of glass. Surely it also makes a difference in a P&S?
Even though I've been shooting for decades, I'm new to P&S particulars.
Panasonic, for example, uses Leica glass. What's up with that?

02-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Panasonic uses lenses they make by robotics that the quality was approved by leica for the usage (you'll notice not all Panasonic glass is leica glass.) I think it's probably due to the fact that they manufacture the low end leicas so leica can have a market presence and so they could have market presence before they developed their own digital cameras

most p/s glass isn't so great, but ti doesn't need to be given the target market and the sensor size

Underwater presents a whole range of weird issues (like making the focal area 25% closer for instance) p/s with AF certainly simplifies that problem though.

I don't think anyone in particular reviews p/s for lens quality unless it's a high end one priced in the slr range and more specialized (like the new Fuji X100 for instance which looks to have a very good lens or the Ricoh GXR models etc)

No point spending a lot of time on things like that when 98% of your market could care less simple is what they want and they take snapshots for memories not artistic reasons. It just puzzles those of us who agonize of minor trivia in the pursuit of the best we can do
02-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Thanks Eddie. That makes sense. I don't like it. But it makes sense.
02-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
Thanks Eddie. That makes sense. I don't like it. But it makes sense.
i don't like it much either, if i was going to buy a p/s it would be nice to be able to judge it properly
like all the old fixed lens rangefinder models that were great cameras for people who wanted a little more from their point and shoot

oh i just described the Fuji didn't I

02-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Guys, first of all, no issues from me with the K-7 placed outside for night timelpses - think battery (already half depleted) lasted a couple of hours. I got it next morning looking like this:

No issues with the body, although I did (very carefully) warm and thaw the 43mm. It was up north of Barrie, and a lot colder than the -10*deg C rating.

The second part related to diving is interesting. Not to rain on the new Pentax cam, but the availability of a OEM, reasonable cost, fixed port housing (~$500) was one of the reasons for me getting an E-PL1 (Which can also wirelessly control strobes and flashes (which Oly also makes housings for!)):

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BFWKuk-Kx4[/YT]

Now if Pentax Can do that with the upcoming EVIL, I will be on it in a heartbeat.

Last edited by Clarkey; 02-10-2011 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Link correction
02-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Guys, first of all, no issues from me with the K-7 placed outside for night timelpses - think battery (already half depleted) lasted a couple of hours. I got it next morning looking like this:

No issues with the body, although I did (very carefully) warm and thaw the 43mm. It was up north of Barrie, and a lot colder than the -10*deg C rating.

The second part related to diving is interesting. Not to rain on the new Pentax cam, but the availability of a OEM, reasonable cost, fixed port housing (~$500) was one of the reasons for me getting an E-PL1 (Which can also wirelessly control strobes and flashes (which Oly also makes housings for!)):

Now if Pentax Can do that with the upcoming EVIL, I will be on it in a heartbeat.
nice pic of the K7 it could be an Ad if pentax actually did them

If their Evil is as capable from a WR POV as my K10 and K7 (and i assume the K20 and K5) are then it'll be on my list for sure

the dive aspect is cool but i think if anyone does a true dive evil it will be nikon. the Nikonos history alone would sell it
02-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #37
Veteran Member

any pictures of the seals in these things? I have a Panasonic FT2 (which was a replacement for a FT1 that filled up with water) which got a few drops of pool water in the battery compartment (it's still working ATM) in it's 1st time getting wet. Have no confidence in it at all! Also have a Nikon film P&S called a ActionTouch that has proper O-rings in the battery comparment and on the film door, that's what I want to see in one of these before I buy another (don't reckon the Pannie will survive a proper dunking).

02-10-2011, 11:22 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Somebody should make a waterproof with RAW capability.
02-10-2011, 11:46 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As for pentax p&s, it is easy no know if the lens is a regarded as a good one (probably also means it was designed by Pentax and not a 3rd party) :
SMC on the barrel (yep, on P&S).
02-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Wow. And it functioned normally again I assume?

Impressive dive! She makes it look like nothing...
02-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #41
Veteran Member

That's an amazing picture of the K-7. But how dare you treat a Limited like that--I am happy to rescue that poor little lens from your maniacal clutches
02-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
That's an amazing picture of the K-7. But how dare you treat a Limited like that--I am happy to rescue that poor little lens from your maniacal clutches
if anything should take the abuse i would think a limited would
my old lenses seem to take abuse quite well and i always think of the fa limiteds as a return to good lens construction after years of plastic stuff
02-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Wow. And it functioned normally again I assume?

Impressive dive! She makes it look like nothing...
No issues. Charged battery again, and I'm a couple of thousand photos on from that point. The K-7 really is a tough little beast.
And yes she does. I can't even reliably dive four meters and hold my breath for 40 seconds at present.

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
if anything should take the abuse i would think a limited would
my old lenses seem to take abuse quite well and i always think of the fa limiteds as a return to good lens construction after years of plastic stuff
Yes, well I didn't quite know it was going to get that bad.....
You know, both the FA and DA limited lenses are just so decently constructed, and fairly simple optically, it is hard to think of a case where you could seriously ding them. Still, whenever I think they are really tough, I think of my M 50 F1.4 - now *that* is a serious lens.

I do wish they would weatherproof the DA limiteds.
02-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #44
Veteran Member

all my old lenses i think of as tough
smc super tak 55 f 1.8 is a bloody tank
02-12-2011, 04:59 AM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
One thing I never see discussed concerning underwater P&S, or P&S in general, is the quality of the glass. From years of experience with DSLRs, I've realized the importance of glass. Surely it also makes a difference in a P&S?
Even though I've been shooting for decades, I'm new to P&S particulars.
Panasonic, for example, uses Leica glass. What's up with that?
P&S manufacturers can afford to splurge on quality glass to regain some of the IQ lost by the physical size of sensor and lens. Think about the fluorite glass needed for a FF 300mm 2.8, and how much is needed for a 6x zoom on a P&S