Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Recsea / Seatool, PENTAX K-5 Underwater Housing will be a reality..

Great NEWS Pentax Fans.. Just got an E-mail from the great guys from Reef Photo & Video... Recsea / seatool are working on a PENTAX K-5 Housing for release this March... NOW sit down after that excitement! Price will be target around $3400 USD.. But I have seen a Recsea / Seatool Housing in action, they are one of the best Quality Housing I have seen (bomb proof).. Like the KX / KM housing they make, it will allow for the pop up flash to be used for optical triggering strobes like the Inon Z-240. All the Ports made for the KX housing will work. With lens options being DA 10-17mm Fisheye, DA 18-55mm, DFA 50mm Macro and DFA 100mm macro. If you have the dollars you can have a top notch Professional Underwater Housing for PENTAX With the Diveross housing the budget option for the K-5.. Ikelite have only indicated that they are considering a housing for the K-5, but are not currently working on one.. Investing in Recsea Ports seems wise as they are the only ones with custom made housing for Pentax DSLR's ATM... KM \ KX and with the soon to Market K-7 \ K-5 housing..

02-07-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Excellent news though it is so expensive to me. Still very good news.
02-08-2011, 05:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
for that price does it come with a K-5?
02-08-2011, 05:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the info. I did not realise there was a housing available for the K-X. I may have to buy one.... That is one of the reasons I bought an E-PL1 (OEM housing).

02-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Underwater housings are insanely expensive, even for point and shoot cameras. As much as I'd like to dive with one, I don't think I'd risk a K-5 in the water. Someone on one of the scuba boards had either a Recsea or Fix housing flood and kill his Canon S95. That was painful as it is, so I can't imagine that happening with a K-5.
02-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #6

Buy insurance before you dive a housing. I know someone who has lost 4 DSLR's and gotten them replaced each time. for the cost of a housing, though, insurance aught to be included.
02-09-2011, 05:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
Underwater housings are insanely expensive, even for point and shoot cameras. As much as I'd like to dive with one, I don't think I'd risk a K-5 in the water. Someone on one of the scuba boards had either a Recsea or Fix housing flood and kill his Canon S95. That was painful as it is, so I can't imagine that happening with a K-5.
Ah, but better to have a WR body and lens and be able to save your camera if you have a o-ring fail slightly (my worst experience). Try that with a rebel.

02-09-2011, 06:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

A WR camera wil not be save under water . Pressure will force water inside the camera and lens
02-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Exactly. If the housing floods at 120 ft, you're not going to shoot to the top to save the camera.
02-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Always insure - it's a bargain.

That price is ridiculous (as are more and more UW housings nowadays). I remember diving with an Oly 3040 and a US$200 housing - more than 70 dives down to 60M and never a problem. If you have insurance it's not an issue, if you don't then a cheaper housing will do - if it leaks then get a new K5, much cheaper than the housing !
02-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
Banned

For that money they better make on for the 645D, so expensive you better take a good camera with you.
02-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
A WR camera wil not be save under water . Pressure will force water inside the camera and lens
QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
Exactly. If the housing floods at 120 ft, you're not going to shoot to the top to save the camera.
You're right if it floods, but if water seeps in, in my experience, the WR is going to make a difference. Likewise with the fogging when you go through the thermocline.
02-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
You're right if it floods, but if water seeps in, in my experience, the WR is going to make a difference. Likewise with the fogging when you go through the thermocline.
Maybe not recommended for quality lenses but I always used a little soap or washing up liquid on all glass / plastic (including the housing of course). Make sure it's all cleaned off and include lots of little silicone desiccant packets around the camera - after that I've never had a problem with condensation whilst diving, thermoclines or not.
02-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Maybe not recommended for quality lenses but I always used a little soap or washing up liquid on all glass / plastic (including the housing of course). Make sure it's all cleaned off and include lots of little silicone desiccant packets around the camera - after that I've never had a problem with condensation whilst diving, thermoclines or not.
+10 on the silicone packs. I raid my wife's shoe boxes.
02-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
+10 on the silicone packs. I raid my wife's shoe boxes.
I better not let my wife read this post!!! I don't need her to have an excuse to buy more shoes