Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh hey: Tumax flash with wireless P-TTL

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Check out the DPT586AFZ / DPT588AFZ, which they say does wireless TTL. Anyone spotted this in a rebranded sold-in-the-US incarnation yet?

02-09-2011, 06:24 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Guessing this is a Dörr DAF42 rebrand?
ArticleGroup

I bought one of these recently and it does not work as a slave since it triggers on the P-TTL pre-flash. For manual lenses it works though, as the camera won't pre-flash then.
02-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by retroflex Quote
Guessing this is a Dörr DAF42 rebrand?
ArticleGroup

I bought one of these recently and it does not work as a slave since it triggers on the P-TTL pre-flash. For manual lenses it works though, as the camera won't pre-flash then.

Yes, Dörr appears to be reselling the Tumax/Icorp flashes. The DAF-42, though, appears to be a variant of the DPT386AFZ. That flash has a "dumb slave" mode as you describe. The new model DPT586AFZ / DPT588AFZ apparently has actually reverse-engineered wireless P-TTL protocol support.

And, apparently it has a "built-in reprogram socket" [sic], which takes care of one of my main concerns with these flashes. (See this recent thread.)
02-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Yes, Dörr appears to be reselling the Tumax/Icorp flashes. The DAF-42, though, appears to be a variant of the DPT386AFZ. That flash has a "dumb slave" mode as you describe. The new model DPT586AFZ / DPT588AFZ apparently has actually reverse-engineered wireless P-TTL protocol support.

And, apparently it has a "built-in reprogram socket" [sic], which takes care of one of my main concerns with these flashes. (See this recent thread.)
That's great, thanks for the info. Don't know of the price of this flash in other areas, but in Sweden the Dörr DAF-42 gives you very much back for the buck, if you don't have the need for wireless that is. It works very good on camera and costs ~ half of Sigma/Metz flashes and a third of Pentax 540 (comparing tilt+swivel flashes). Can really recommend it!

03-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Check out the DPT586AFZ / DPT588AFZ, which they say does wireless TTL. Anyone spotted this in a rebranded sold-in-the-US incarnation yet?
I bought one for my PENTAX K20D. It's offered in the US under the brand names of Rokinon and Digital Concepts, with the model no. D980AF-P TTL AF with a power zoom flash (internal zoom motor) allows camera to control distance, range and intensity of flash. AF Dedicated Power Zoom Flash w/Swivel & LCD Readout(also offered for canon and nikon with a diffferent applicable hotshoe mount adapted). Paid about a third and it did the job quite well...recommend it!
03-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 2OLD2WAIT Quote
I bought one for my PENTAX K20D. It's offered in the US under the brand names of Rokinon and Digital Concepts, with the model no. D980AF-P TTL AF with a power zoom flash (internal zoom motor) allows camera to control distance, range and intensity of flash. AF Dedicated Power Zoom Flash w/Swivel & LCD Readout(also offered for canon and nikon with a diffferent applicable hotshoe mount adapted). Paid about a third and it did the job quite well...recommend it!
Are you sure? That looks like an incarnation of the non-wireless DPT383AFZ model.
04-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Matt, Vivitar now has them and I saw an ad for it in Shutterbug.
It is called the Vivitar DF-483.
B&H seem to be advertising it.
I is advertised as "Pro DSLR AF Flash.
Guide number: 50m at 105mm
Auto-focus TTL metering
Illuminated LCD display
High Speed Synchronization
Red eye reduction
Nikon and Canon only...as usual.
$199.95

Links:
Amazon.com: Vivitar PRO Flash VIV-DF-483-CAN for Canon SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Vivitar PRO Flash VIV-DF-483-NIK for Nikon SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Vivitar DF-483 Wireless TTL LCD Flash for Canon | eBay

04-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Matt, Vivitar now has them and I saw an ad for it in Shutterbug.
[...]
Nikon and Canon only...as usual.
Cool, thanks. I think the Pentax version will probably arrive eventually.

I wonder what's up with the discrepancy between Tumax's 58x number and Sakar/Vitvitar's 48x. It may mean something, and it may not.