Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
So you have already tested the new glass?
No, my point was, if you have to stop down further to get the same quality, meh.

The Sigma 50mm is better than the 55mm Pentax in almost every way and it is $200.00 cheaper.
I find that the Pentax is better in almost every way than the Sigma, maybe your results differ.

and performance of 31mm at F/18 is not anything to get excited about.
Again, to To paraphrase farfisa from a 85/1.4 thread: If the Sigma 35/1.4 is as good as the FA31, I'll buy two and wear them on my nipples.

This isn't to say I don't love Sigma lenses. If they're superior and offer me options I don't have with Pentax, I'll jump all over them... well so to speak.

I <3 my 100-300/4, my 8-16, my 4.5mm, my 180mm macro, and my 50-500. They are awesome glass, and fill in voids I cant fill with Pentax at all or with the same quality.

I have high hopes; but Sigma still has some room to go. They can produce amazing glass, and do with their pro-sumer models, but their more consumer grade lenses tend to be just ok.

03-15-2011, 11:42 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
50-135 so-so until f/4? Rotfl.
03-16-2011, 03:52 AM   #63
Inactive Account

120-300 2.8 - That is one sweeeet lens!.....If I was a wildlife shooter I would be all over this one. Its not a bad price considering the length and speed but not a good price for me...
03-16-2011, 04:04 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As a long time Canon user I avoided Sigma like the plague.
One thing to note is that Sigma reverse-engineers the lens-camera protocols for each mount, and from what I know, there are still a few issues with Sigma's reverse engineering of the Canon EF/EF-S protocol, which is why Canon bodies and Sigma lenses don't always work well together in terms of AF issues (I browse over at POTN quite a bit). This is in addition to the possible QC issues from Sigma themselves, which I believe Sigma are working on to improve.

One of my Nikon shooting friends noticed when he was researching the Sigma 50/1.4 is that the very very vast majority of issues (AF calibration, AF not working, sporadic AF, etc) with the lens was from people shooting Canon; there weren't many complaints from those shooting Nikon or Pentax, besides the occasional AF calibration issue. He's been happy with his copy, as have I with mine in K-mount.

03-16-2011, 06:28 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
One thing to note is that Sigma reverse-engineers the lens-camera protocols for each mount, and from what I know, there are still a few issues with Sigma's reverse engineering of the Canon EF/EF-S protocol, which is why Canon bodies and Sigma lenses don't always work well together in terms of AF issues (I browse over at POTN quite a bit). This is in addition to the possible QC issues from Sigma themselves, which I believe Sigma are working on to improve.
Indeed, confirmed by my reseller who simply refuse to carry on Sigma lenses ever again.
Btw, why Pentax will never help significantly Sigma. Why would they help guys reverse engineering their mount instead of paying the license. That's be very stupid.
03-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
No, my point was, if you have to stop down further to get the same quality, meh.
You seem to be automatically assuming that you will. The last couple of EX grade lenses Sigma has designed they have optimized for sharpness at wider apertures.

I find that the Pentax is better in almost every way than the Sigma, maybe your results differ.
I tried 2 Pentax 55mm DA* lenses before going with the Sigma. I really wanted the WR and the smaller size, but sharpness and the HSM gave the advantage to Sigma. After F/4 there was no noticeable differences between them, but from F/1.4 to F/4.0 The Sigma was a better lens.

Again, to To paraphrase farfisa from a 85/1.4 thread: If the Sigma 35/1.4 is as good as the FA31, I'll buy two and wear them on my nipples.
Again you seem to be assuming that the Sigma lens will not be as sharp. The Sigma might not be as sharp at F/5.6, but I would expect that at F/1.4-f/4 the Sigma will be sharper and have better bokeh. I know the AF will be faster and quieter.

I have high hopes; but Sigma still has some room to go. They can produce amazing glass, and do with their pro-sumer models, but their more consumer grade lenses tend to be just ok.
There is no doubt Sigma has room to improve, so does Pentax. Actually every manufacturer has room to improve and they all have cheap consumer grade lenses.

Sigma is not thinking about Pentax when it makes lens decisions. Sigma is looking at the Canon "L" and Nikon pro-grade and thinking they can produce comparable glass for 30% less cost. Pentax users are going to benefit from more options.
03-17-2011, 05:22 PM   #67
Veteran Member

I wonder if Sigma will make weathersealed TCs to match? It would make sense to come up with those eventually.

03-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Quality? Sigma?
Well I have 3 Sigma lenses ... 30mm/1.4, 17-70mm and 135-400mm. And they are damn fine lenses!!
03-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #69
Veteran Member

My results do differ. I love my pentax lenses, but my sigma lenses are just as good.
03-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
My results do differ. I love my pentax lenses, but my sigma lenses are just as good.
This is in specific reference to the DA* 55 vs the Sigma 50.

I've been really unimpressed with the out of focus highlights on the Sigma, and the Pentax doesn't have the same issue. YRMV.
03-20-2011, 01:21 AM   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by Philippos Quote
It is not a matter of demand. As I mentioned somewhere else, Pentax will provide technology and make the SD-1 bodies for Sigma (a customised K7/K5), and Sigma will make it's entire line available for the PK-mount.
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
It won't happen.
Wanna Bet ???
03-20-2011, 02:47 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wanna Bet ???
The SD1 body doesn't even remotely look like a "customized K7" as can be seen on all the previews around the web... are you sur you want to bet on Pentax producing it?

Sigma SD1 : premières impressions

http://www.clubic.com/photo/photokina/actualite-367970-sigma-sd1-reflex-rena...foveon-x3.html
03-20-2011, 07:02 AM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wanna Bet ???
I'm willing to bet a Slurpee on that this exchange isn't happening.
03-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #74
Pentaxian

Wanna Bet ???
Yep
03-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #75
Rin
Forum Member

This is in specific reference to the DA* 55 vs the Sigma 50.

I've been really unimpressed with the out of focus highlights on the Sigma, and the Pentax doesn't have the same issue. YRMV.
Normally sigma has some decent lens and some bad ones, but the Sigma 50mm is really one of the best 50mm's in this pricerange this day in my opinion. i wish there was a weather sealed version of this lens.