Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #1

Looks like we are finally getting a GPS add-on for our cameras

Impress Watch (In Japanese)

I wonder what the price point and availability will be? It'll be cool to have images location tagged.

02-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can buy a 3rd party add on for about $70, unless it actually puts the information into the exif without processing in other software, it's already available.

JOBO SONY SHOE ADAPT FOR PHOTO GPS GPSZ01 - Henry's best camera store in Canada
02-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Probably this one you talk but $150
JOBO PHOTO GPS (GEO-IMAGING) - Henry's best camera store in Canada

the photo you show is any adapter forsony
02-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I was sure they had one for about $70, oh well. The thing is using APerture I just place my images on the "places" map and it fills in the GPS data. I have images on google earth done this way. I can match the times on my GPS log to the time in the exif from my hand held GPS, which I take with me most of the time in any case.

02-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jayp Quote
Impress Watch (In Japanese)

I wonder what the price point and availability will be? It'll be cool to have images location tagged.
This is awesome.

Day 1 purchase for me. Hopefully it'll work with my K200D...otherwise I might have to upgrade!
02-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I was sure they had one for about $70, oh well. The thing is using APerture I just place my images on the "places" map and it fills in the GPS data. I have images on google earth done this way. I can match the times on my GPS log to the time in the exif from my hand held GPS, which I take with me most of the time in any case.
The Gisteq PhotoTrackr Mini goes for about $60.

GiSTEQ PhotoTrackr Mini DPL900 C7-02DPL900 B&H Photo Video
02-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Probably this one you talk but $150
JOBO PHOTO GPS (GEO-IMAGING) - Henry's best camera store in Canada

the photo you show is any adapter forsony
The problem with using this or any other GPS unit on the hotshoe, is that Pentax cameras don't fire the hotshoe, if the shutter speed is set above 1/180. This has been the subject of seemingly endless discussion in many threads about Pentax and flash systems.

02-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can somebody tell me why this is terribly important??
02-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
You will be depressed after seeing in your photostock that you actually never go anywhere interesting.

You can make a funny holiday bustour photostring, but to me it is of no importance.
02-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

i see no value to it. In Flickr i will geo tag when i'm so inclined placing images o a map. otherwise i know where they were taken so it's not an issue
i haven't got a gps unit either though (i can read a map and unlike nowmhead am rarely someplace where it would be useful (to find my way out of where i am for instance)
02-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

could be handy when mapping some habitats and working with GIS
02-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Its not important to me. I have a K10D and I've never missed it.

However, if you read this and other forums for very long, you will see the subject come up. For some people, it seems to be a matter of life or death.

Smartphones, which have builtin GPS, can cause problems because of that. I read recently, that one of the hosts of "Myth Busters" posted a photo of his home on his facebook page or blog. He apparently didn't realize that his iPhone included the latitude/longitude in the EXIF data. Now, all his fans know exactly where he lives. Just one more way that smartphones make life easier... for identify thieves and stalkers.
02-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

For many there is a significant business case for having a gps coordinates embedded in every photograph., insurance adjusters, police investigations, engineers, public health officials, foresters etc need to identify the exact location of photographs for investigative reports, recording of evidence etc.

For the average Joe perhaps there is no need or they can add the co-ordinance later. however if I am on a long hike and taking lots of photographs of birds and other wildlife along the way it would sure be nice to be able to identify the exact location of each photograph.

There are varying products out there that can be modified to work with Pentax cameras, some are complex as they require special software and merging the exact time a photograph is taken with a gps track taken from a handheld gps etc., but lets see if the one being developed by Pentax will work simply and flawlessly. If it does, it opens up a new area of camera sales for the company. For me that is good.

Last edited by bobell69; 02-10-2011 at 09:26 AM. Reason: correcting some spelling.
02-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

IMHO, a hotshoe-mounted GPS logger is a useless gadget.

With the possible exception where the device includes a compass and records direction information as well. But the latter could be done (and written to exif) by the camera anyway w/o any need to receice GPS.

I geotag ALL my images.

I have a stellar GPS logger sitting in a pocket of my photo bag (I upgraded from SIRF-III to a Wintec WBT-202 which never disappointed me and always knows precise position. Even within most buildings. It autoswitches off to save energy (it has a motion sensor to switch on) and can stay in my photobag for days until I synchronize my SD card with my computer. At the same time, I would plug and charge the logger (appears as an USB drive containing the track file) and exchange the cameras battery.

In order to actually geotag my images I use GeoSetter (on PC) or PhotoLinker (on Mac). Both update the image files exactly as the camera would do. It's as simple as "open image folder and track file and go". Then I import to LR. I'll have a blog article soon for anybody migrating his geotagging workflow from a PC to a Mac.

No way I would use a hot-show mounted logger: To clumsy (ugly to the point of ridiculous, easily breaks, doesn't fit my photo bag, blocks my flash) and unreliable (probably sub-par GPS receiver, probably misses fix when a photo is taken as it cannot always stay on) and can't be used to geotag photos (from a second camera I carry with me) and is incomplete (doesn't write the location names aka reverse geocoding). The iPhone geotags its images and try it: positions aren't reliable.

So, a hotshow GPS logger is a gadget for people who don't need the feature.

Last edited by falconeye; 02-10-2011 at 10:10 AM.
02-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Because some people like to remember *where* they took their pictures? Not just when or how?

To each their own.