Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #196
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
What has been hacked in this case is the receiver's mailbox, not the sender's one. Not hacked in the usual way (so, no worry here). But the receiver left to much traces in the internet who he knows. Social networks are the typical trap.
I don't believe that is the case. I have had very limited dealings with Yvon, whereas there are tons of others in my mailbox who would rate more attention. Therefore I'm more inclined to believe his box was hacked instead of mine. As for social networking, I do have a facebook page that I visit almost once a year whether I need to or not... ...unless you refering to his social networking sites.

Last edited by Tom S.; 02-22-2011 at 11:02 AM.
02-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #197
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I don't believe that is the case. I have had very limited dealings with Yvon, whereas there are tons of others in my mailbox who would rate more attention. Therefore I'm more inclined to believe his box was hacked instead of mine. As for social networking, I do have a facebook page that I visit almost once a year whether I need to or not... ...unless you refering to his social networking sites.
No mailbox is hacked in the proper sense of the word. Spammers build up graphs from whatever information they can get. Yvon is involved in this as much as you are. It can be enough to comment on a blog. In the one million spam mails I've archived to date, I find amazing faked sender addresses meaning spammers use several hops in their graphs to make sure you are convinced nobody could fake it. It's just statistical analysis. And it starts at the social network sites (and intercepted mails if you had the wrong guy on cc).
02-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #198
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
No mailbox is hacked in the proper sense of the word. Spammers build up graphs from whatever information they can get. Yvon is involved in this as much as you are. It can be enough to comment on a blog. In the one million spam mails I've archived to date, I find amazing faked sender addresses meaning spammers use several hops in their graphs to make sure you are convinced nobody could fake it. It's just statistical analysis. And it starts at the social network sites (and intercepted mails if you had the wrong guy on cc).
A Lumo Labs analysis of AF and a statistical review of one million spam emails. My goodness. There must be some automation involved in the email analysis, Falk, or you are in fact a Time Lord.

Hang on to that sonic screwdriver, my friend; Pentax apparently needs your help again.
02-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #199

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus people!

What's the latest status of this launch? Did the guy really say a relative has died - thus delaying the launch indefinitely? Very untimely.....

02-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by writeb Quote
What's the latest status of this launch? Did the guy really say a relative has died - thus delaying the launch indefinitely? Very untimely.....
Sadly, yes.

PENTAX DSLRs: When it rains, sometimes it pours. Dear Pentax friends...

QuoteOriginally posted by writeb Quote
Focus people!
Right, um, back to guessing the thingamajig.. it's an anodized steel pinhole lens made for the K mount.
02-22-2011, 08:17 PM   #201
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Sadly, yes.

PENTAX DSLRs: When it rains, sometimes it pours. Dear Pentax friends...

Right, um, back to guessing the thingamajig.. it's an anodized steel pinhole lens made for the K mount.
In that case, I extend my sympathies to him and his family. Losing a loved one is never easy.
02-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #202
jjw3

*removed by poster*

Last edited by jjw3; 02-25-2011 at 01:43 PM.
02-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #203
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jjw3 Quote
Of course very sad that his mother died. On the other hand it almost seems to coincidental. I know...the thought is a bit far-fetched, faking a relatives death in order to postpone the launch of a product....But is there anyone here that actually knows who this guy really is?

- He first promises a product launch, then tells us the launch will be delayed because his mother died (very reasonable and acceptable).
- Yet then he tells us that he will either bring the item and post some kind of picture/movie of the thing and if not possible divulge what it is (say in text?)
- Then all of a sudden he does have time/energy to alter the complete post, yet he doesn't have time/energy to type 3 lines revealing the product?

Now isn't that a bit weird? I could totally understand him telling about his mother passing away and postponing any news/writing/etc. for a week or longer. But if he is posting things anyway, then why not reveal the thing?
I mean I want to believe him and wish him all the best, but it's just weird.
Christ give the guy a break have you ever dealt with the death of a parent, it's not like you are spending time thinking of other things. personally i think he erred saying he would get the info out this week, he should have just explained and said he'd be back in a week. We have no reason to suspect he is anything other than genuine. we also can't expect a small start up reliant on one or 2 people to be able to respond the way a large corporation can. Personally I think his marketing was excellent so far certainly getting lots of attention. I think the flaw was beginning to market before he had the final product in hand. he could have had it ready to go tested and ready to ship and then used the same tactic and not had the same issues this delay is presenting
when you are starting up you live and learn.

Revisit the post by the way he has updated it, i feel for him it's a tough time for anyone

"(Sunday Night). I am flying from Los Angeles to Montreal tomorrow (Wednesday Morning 6:00 A.M.) to be with my brother and sisters in this difficult time. I will do the best I can to introduce the new DSLR item promised last week. (I think I may have bitten more than I can chew!) I have the item with me and I am bringing my laptop with me. Hopefully I will have some time to rest at night and post (some news) what I promised. If I can’t bring the item with me, I will divulge what it is and why it will be so useful to photographers, and especially for Pentax K-7/K-5 users for now. Let's do that early next week. I will be flying back Monday. I'm so sorry, I thought I was going to be stronger, but it really hit me hard today. She has been my guiding light."

02-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #204
Pentaxian

Having been through this twice in the past year, once just two weeks ago, I understand the position too well.

I, too, voiced thoughts about continuing some urgent work during odd moments that I thought I'd need the distraction. I was wrong - my family needed my time more than my employer or my bank. And my need for a distraction was not important.

We will hear when the time is best. Until then, Yvon, my very best wishes during the difficult times.
02-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #205
jjw3

Don't get me wrong here, he has all the right for a break and should take as long as needed.

It is just that the way it is presented now isn't very handy. It makes you wonder, even though these circumstances normally wouldn't make you wonder at all.
02-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Having been through this twice in the past year, once just two weeks ago
Oh, no! I'm very sorry to hear it.

It seems to have been "a hard winter". The mother of the aunt I was staying with died in early January of cancer that came on so swiftly she'd been well enough to go swimming during a trip to Florida in October. Blindsided everyone, of course.

It is just that the way it is presented now isn't very handy. It makes you wonder, even though these circumstances normally wouldn't make you wonder at all.
That's the way things go, isn't it. In my case, the death in the family happened just as I arrived to freeload at that house for four weeks while I relocated from Tokyo. 8(

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Until then, Yvon, my very best wishes during the difficult times.
Amen.
02-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #207
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes times can be difficult - lets allow him to get back on his feet.
02-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #208
Forum Member

I wish him all the best. This I guess is the danger of a one man company though, no one else to do the job when things go awry.

Vic.
02-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #209
Veteran Member

Of course very sad that his mother died. On the other hand it almost seems to coincidental. I know...the thought is a bit far-fetched, faking a relatives death in order to postpone the launch of a product....But is there anyone here that actually knows who this guy really is?
I've seen him quite frequently around various Pentax forums in the past years and of course his Pentax books are well known...

So for me he is legit...
02-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #210
Pentaxian

Ned says he is legit.
Closed Thread