Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2011, 05:27 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jmbradd Quote
lets look at one key factor

My hope would be bluetooth module for the hotshoe that plugs into the pc control port and pairs with an android phone for remote tethering but I don't even know if thats possible. Nevertheless, would be fun to mess around with! Don't have a k-5 or k-7 so I don't know what other connection interfaces are available but tethering to my phone would be very cool!
Give Yvon a break or everybody will be very disappointed. AFAIK, he's a one person company and we shouldn't expect him to deliver things needing corporate muscle

02-16-2011, 06:29 AM   #92
Forum Member

Refocus Technology

A couple of years ago a writer in the Photographic industry made some predictions for the year ahead, one of which was that a Pentax would be the first DSLR to incorporate Stanford University's Refocus technology. The prediction was somewhat off given that a couple of years have passed without Pentax adopting it. That said, the technology is still under development by Refocus Imaging Inc, and that seems more of a revolution in the true sense of the word to me than any amount of GPS gimmicks.

This is not a prediction (I have no inside information). Just an observation in relation to the word "revolution."

Refocus Imaging
02-16-2011, 07:05 AM   #93
Pentaxian

Well I gave it also a thought today. Mentioning that it is for K-7/K-5 means to me that it has to do with grip. There is as mentioned no software involved. There is no connection from grip to body other then giving energy and the buttons to function the camera. So if you design a new grip (not so hard since it is done bij chinese shops al the time) with new functions they have to do that as stand-alone functions.

So here is the grip from K20D and that functions as an imagetank old skool style.

Making it new style imagetank you need to put in a battery, that gives energy to the body, but mainly also supply's the grip for energy. It needs at least 250 GB storage (anything less is a waist of money since we can put in 64 GB SDXC cards), but making it 1 TB would be preferred. So in one door the battery leving as much space as possible for the rest. It needs a cardreader build in, and a connection to a computer like mini USB and I hope mini HDMI also. You need a small screen, like the topscreen of the camera wich gives just information about space and number of files. It needs a processor and maybe even a fast one, fast enough to use it for playback, including movie true HDMI.

Is there more? Well Nikon had this nice thing:

So maybe even in grip built in beamer.

Is there more?
Well 3G would be cool so you coult send your file to your news paper, magazine or grandmother while still standing somewhere working with your camera gear.

Wow I'm getting excited, is there still a function to build in that would make this the coolest thing ever in DSLR history?

I don't think it will be cheap, but as long as it gives you something you can really use...
02-16-2011, 07:10 AM   #94
Veteran Member

PENTAX DSLRs: Continuation...Something new is coming and it's getting around the corner. Pentax will be the first to get it.

No software, adaptable to other brands. Therefore, not a grip, not a hyper remote, not GPS.

02-16-2011, 07:29 AM   #95
Pentaxian

People have been asking for a phone camera with IQ as good as a DSLR, so they're going to do the next best thing: strap a phone to your DSLR. With duct tape certified for Pentax.
02-16-2011, 07:31 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Delgado Quote
A couple of years ago a writer in the Photographic industry made some predictions for the year ahead, one of which was that a Pentax would be the first DSLR to incorporate Stanford University's Refocus technology
Don't be trapped by US American marketing mechanics or the word "Stanford". Refocus Imaging Inc. is designed as a hook for US seed investors and that's it.

Actually, refocus is a common offering in the machine tool market, with companies like German Raytrix ruling the field leaving little room for others not owning the patents for anything beyond the original Plenoptics principle.
-> Refocus - Raytrix GmbH

Raytrix has a more serious description of the technology too, i.e., what it can do and what it cannot do due to the fundamental laws of physics.
Esp., cf. p.27 of http://www.raytrix.de/tl_files/downloads/Raytrix_Intro_LightField_100124_web.pdf

The idea dates back to 1908 (the original Plenoptics principle) and is ridiculously overblown by US media. It will never satisfy the need of enthusiast photographers. However, I see a certain potential to make mobile phones fill the gap towards DSLRs using the technology. So, the technology will arrive in the consumer market. But not as you think and it won't be revolutionary. Here is a news message about a company inventing on the approach for mobile phone I already illustrated years ago: http://pelicanimaging.com. I think the work of Pelican is very interesting indeed.

Raytrix actually cites a 1996 Stanford paper by Levoy and Hanrahan which in turn admits to not invent the idea (btw, Levoy is on the Advisory board for Pelican, not Refocus...). And in the paper linked above, Raytrix mentions the work of Ren-Yi Ng (founder of Refocus Imaging) at Stanford and classifies it as an implementation of the 1908 Plenoptics standard light field camera.

I kindly invite you to read more on the issue and report back on your findings.

Last edited by falconeye; 02-16-2011 at 08:07 AM.
02-16-2011, 07:33 AM   #97
Veteran Member

I'm now thinking more along the lines of a special strap and/or eveready case. In the past, almost everyone with a film SLR had an eveready case. Make one with handy pockets (for extra memory cards) and there you have it
02-16-2011, 08:00 AM   #98
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's a company that makes view cameras, that narrows the likely possibilities, I'd think. I'd start thinking clever bracketry, tilt-shift adapters, maybe a good focusing hood for the LCD?

02-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
If it's a company that makes view cameras, that narrows the likely possibilities, I'd think. I'd start thinking clever bracketry, tilt-shift adapters, maybe a good focusing hood for the LCD?
I like your thinking, and my guess goes along the same lines.
If I disregard the thought that it's specific to K5/K7, then I would guess that it's tilt shift adapter or a view camera attachment for k mount. I'm not very original But I think either device could be a lot of fun and practical.

For a one man show, it looks like Yvon is doing a good marketing job At least to us here in PF anyway.
02-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #100
wll
Veteran Member

I would love a high quality tilt-shift adapter, made here in the USA at a price you could afford !

wll
02-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I'm now thinking more along the lines of a special strap and/or eveready case.
Interesting thought. SLR cases are in desperate need of a revolution. At all sizes they all somehow seem to be at least two of: overpadded, top-heavy, ugly, and cumbersome. Not unlike cases capable of carrying a laptop.
02-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #102
Veteran Member

Compound hood? I never saw one for reflex cameras.
02-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
I would love a high quality tilt-shift adapter, made here in the USA at a price you could afford !

wll
Perhaps one that uses P67 lenses? Plenty of those around, I think?
02-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Ditto if it was made here in Europe.
02-16-2011, 11:16 AM   #105

This whole ordeal has "meltdown" written all over it. I hope A) He actually makes it to launch, and B) it's worthwhile. He really has captured the attention (and imagination) of the Pentax community with this campaign. Other developers/manufacturers should pay attention to this.
Closed Thread