Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2007, 03:42 PM   #16
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi Gruoso

When you say that.....

"you have other things like better social insurance"

Bearing in mind that this is primarily a photographic forum, I cannot resist briefly straightening-out your somewhat skewed misconceptions concerning the reality of our less-than-wonderful Health Service.
As things stand, our inept Government is currently pouring £Billions of hard-working tax-payers National Insurance contributions into a never-ending black-hole of a 'money-pit', with no improvement in sight. Don't even mention lengthy waiting-lists, simply in order to actually be admitted onto a ward in the first place ! Otherwise relatively healthy individuals are contracting potentially lethal infections whilst receiving care on the unhygenic wards. In fact literally thousands of patients have acquired 'MRSA' (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) and if further evidence was needed, a dear friend of mine picked it up whilst recouperating in hospital from a life-threatening traffic accident. More seriously 'Clostridium Difficile' is spreading out of control and patients are DYING as a result !
If you reckon I am exaggerating in ANY WAY, just Google the subject and you will probably be VERY shocked ! This pathetic state-of-affairs resembles third-world countries and yet the politicians keep banging-on about the fact that the U.K. is currently the world's 4th richest nation ! This is a TERRIBLE INDICTMENT on our society and one of which I am utterly ashamed. Take my advice and don't get ill whilst visiting Britain. I was a patient myself a few years ago and what I saw with my very own eyes would SHOCK YOU TO THE CORE ! Click on the link below to see what I've been talking about....

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Kent | C.difficile bosses 'should quit'

Best regards
Richard
The truth of the matter is that I am Spanish and I sort of know some of the problems of the system. I can easily understand your point and I believe it 100%. I think that, on paper, what I told was true but I know that from there to reality there is a big gap. It was not my intention to defend the goverments that misuse the taxes I just was trying to suggest that there was a reason behind them (and I think that the reason is good). I also agree in that this is a photography forum and I shouldnt have posted that. I didnot know that the situation in England was that bad neither. I apologize if somebody has felt offended in some way.

10-17-2007, 04:34 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
adn yes, it really makes me angry when I see those low USA prices and they make me even more angry when they add a rebate on top of that! Damn, K10D kit for something like $650... Damn, K10D kit still costs $1150 here locally... that's a plain rip-off...
Then buy a different brand to express your anger. (Or do the others do it as well?)
10-17-2007, 07:06 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Hi again Gruoso

Re your comment:

"I apologize if somebody has felt offended in some way."

I can assure you that there is no need whatsoever to apologise for anything, Gruoso. I was simply telling you the situation as it currently exists in many parts of the U.K. Obviously things are not wholly bad everywhere and the general standards of surgery are exceeding high in most instances. However what on earth is the point of carrying out such clinical operations, only to have this work fatally undermined by inadequate preventative measures on the recovery wards ! The lack of hygienic practise almost beggars belief. I know because I've seen it with my very own eyes !! Matrons need to reinstated urgently and given full powers to do whatever is necessary. If patients with MRSA or C Diff are discovered on a ward, they must be placed in isolation and the ward needs to be CLOSED DOWN IMMEDIATELY and thoroughly cleansed or fumigated before allowing other people back. It's sheer common sense to anyone with half-a-brain, but in my experience it NEVER happens ! If it DID, we wouldn't be experiencing these avoidable problems in the first place ! Other countries in the EEC deal successfully with these types of outbreak and we need to follow suit before becoming a total laughing stock.
On a slightly different matter, the specific weakened strain of Foot and Mouth disease which recently broke out in the UK almost certainly emanated from the main Government Research Laboratory in Surrey, which is supposedly charged with the responsibility for analysing strains of the virus itself ! If these apparent 'experts' can't even contain the bl***dy virus, God help the rest of us !!! An antiseptic trough should have been constructed at the entrance to the main laboratory complex when it was first built. Then every vehicle passing through this facility would have been cleansed, stopping the outbreak from ever spreading to the outside world. It's a genuinely pathetic situation and would be almost laughable, if it wasn't so serious. The farming community is already at rock bottom in this country as it is, without the very real likelihood of facing financial ruin or even bankruptcy.

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 10-18-2007 at 03:21 AM.
10-18-2007, 12:07 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Then buy a different brand to express your anger. (Or do the others do it as well?)
Well, other brands are no better. Have you seen RRP of Nikon D300? $1799 in USA and €1980 in Europe. That calculates into $1799 in USA and $2810 in Europe (if you prefer € -- 1260 in USA and €1980 in Europe). And I bet that USA RRP price will fall very soon, however in Europe they're going to stick to RRP for very long time...

BTW, here in Lithuania they just lowered a bit price of K10D, now body only costs $1070. Without VAT it is still $900... (K10D price in USA when K10D sales started, right?).

--
Edvinas

10-18-2007, 12:13 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Local Pentax response

Hi, I've send an e-mail to the local Pentax importing company.
Here is their reply:

Dag Bert,

Nee helaas, geen acties vanuit Pentax voor Nederland.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Carlo TERSTEEG
Sales & Support Assistant

Stationspark 430
3364 DA Sliedrecht
Tel.: 0184 433050
Fax: 0184 433059
carlo.tersteeg@debeukelaerbv

For the few amongst us who do not understand Dutch, it says that there will be no Pentax rebates here in Holland.
It confirms the Pentax European pricing policy as was to be expected.

- Bert
10-18-2007, 06:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
(snip) Take my advice and don't get ill whilst visiting Britain. (snip)

And, considering the cost of health care in America, many cannot afford to get ill there. I guess this clearly shows that the grass is NOT always greener on the other side. However, when all things were considered, I (as an American) made a choice to live in Europe. The staggering and seemingly endlessly growing level of violence and crime in the USA was a large factor influencing that decision, but certainly not the only one.

stewart
10-20-2007, 05:51 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Hi again Stewart

Re your comment:

"I (as an American) made a choice to live in Europe. The staggering and seemingly endlessly growing level of violence and crime in the USA was a large factor influencing that decision, but certainly not the only one".

Unfortunately it looks as though Britain is following in America's footsteps YET again because:

"10,990 firearms offences occur in England and Wales each year. Many are committed by teenagers furious over a perceived lack of 'respect' ".

Best regards
Richard
10-20-2007, 08:56 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
I guess that one of the main differences between both ways of living is that in Europe those things you mentioned are more expensive (at least in part) because of the taxes but in exchange you have other things like better social insurance.
Hi Gruoso
I can't speak about Europe but I can about Australia. If as you say our social insurance is better, it's financed by our much higher personal income tax 40% and 47% top rates (compared to your around 25% top rate); not from higher sales tax as you implied.

Camera/Electronics goods in Aust are subject to 10% GST, but (currency conversion adjusted) they are 40-50% more expensive than in the US. Someone somewhere in the distribution chain has a bad habit of adding 30+% to their margins

Last edited by Kguru; 10-20-2007 at 10:20 PM.