Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What catches my eye here is the Omnia "Movie Pro" and "Movie Home" lenses.

Those are clearly from marketing research and very interesting concepts, especially a 16mm for indoor video of family scenes.

03-01-2011, 04:46 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
What catches my eye here is the Omnia "Movie Pro" and "Movie Home" lenses.

Those are clearly from marketing research and very interesting concepts, especially a 16mm for indoor video of family scenes.
Did I understand right that these zooms have been designed to keep their focus even when zooming in/out?

I thought it was very difficult design zooms this way (I forgot the technical name for it)...

They are being serious about it at least.

I think they might have a good shot at this market if they managed to get their camera/lenses side by side with the other guys in shops but, so far, they seem to have some difficulties with their distribution network.

Maybe they are waiting to have a decent range (end of 2011?) before pumping the volume up...
03-02-2011, 01:33 AM   #48
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Did I understand right that these zooms have been designed to keep their focus even when zooming in/out?

I thought it was very difficult design zooms this way (I forgot the technical name for it)...
It's called parfocal. Zooms not keeping focus when zooming are called varifocal. I have a Sigma 18-50/2.8 EX Macro which is parfocal but still pretty inexpensive. But I have no idea of the extra cost involved. I guess most people wouldn't want to spend extra $ on it, as it's even hard to find out from the specs which lenses have this feature.
03-02-2011, 02:31 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by retroflex Quote
It's called parfocal. Zooms not keeping focus when zooming are called varifocal. I have a Sigma 18-50/2.8 EX Macro which is parfocal but still pretty inexpensive. But I have no idea of the extra cost involved. I guess most people wouldn't want to spend extra $ on it, as it's even hard to find out from the specs which lenses have this feature.
Is that the same system as in for instance FA*80-200mm/f2.8 lens in wich the lens keeps it focus when refocussing/zooming?

03-02-2011, 11:52 PM   #50
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Is that the same system as in for instance FA*80-200mm/f2.8 lens in wich the lens keeps it focus when refocussing/zooming?
Not sure, but I guess so - there is probably only one way to implement it. Normally the lens(es) are moved while zooming, but parfocals must also compensate for the focus change by moving a lens closer or further away from another lens (or from the sensor). Not that I know much about optics, so this is purely guessing.