Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #181
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Checked it Back to The K10D

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Appearently, a version 1.03 is imminent, promised to fix the AF low light issue. This is news from after this thread started. You'll find clues within it.

I cannot check right now. Are you sure you looked up the AF spec rather than the metering spec? I asl because I remember the metering spec contains a reference to the lens which is logical too.
Yes,

The K10D and K20D both say EV -1 to 18 ISO 100 f1.4. The K5 does not mention f1.4 in the AF spec, only ISO 100, but all call this a brightness range, which I would normally think of as LV, not EV. LV does not make sense as it does not tell you much about how much light hit the AF system.

All of the service references I could find specify the AF adjustment process in LV, not EV, but that is because they use a calibrated light source that has to be set to make the test.

Anyway, as we all have seen over the years, what I call PEnglish or Pentax English often makes many things less than crystal clear.

So, given the ISO and f stop used on the older camera specs, at EV 0, f1.4, ISO 100, the shutter speed had to be 4 seconds.

Don't get me wrong, I tested my K5s with the FA50 f1.4 and did not see a huge difference from other lenses, but I only own fixed aperture lenses and only one slower than f2.8.

Ray

02-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote

So posters who claim to notice problems at EV4 are probably right.
My K-5 starts to FF just below EV4. Nothing 'probably' about it. It's a 'definitely'.
02-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #183
Veteran Member

Appearently, a version 1.03 is imminent, promised to fix the AF low light issue. This is news from after this thread started. You'll find clues within it.
Well, I'll believe it when I see it. The FW fix has been imminent for a month or so now.

I'm getting ready to buy a second K-5 body now, but won't until a fix is forthcoming.
02-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #184
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ursamajor Quote
I heard that the firmware will be available on 1st april.

Nope......sorry......

02-28-2011, 01:51 AM   #185
Banned

Appearently, a version 1.03 is imminent, promised to fix the AF low light issue.
Imminent? It's so from december...
02-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank You Falk

I would like to express my appreciation to Falk for all his effort studying the FF problem.

Many of us have done tests and easily confirmed the issue and conditions at which it happens. The only problem with that is that the problem had not been quantified and compared against specifications. This is important because the only way an engineer at Pentax can effectively determine whether a problem is a real one or just unreasonable user expectations.

I read and understood Falk's report and am glad the FF issue has been quantified, supporting the need for this to be addressed.
02-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #187
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
I would like to express my appreciation to Falk for all his effort studying the FF problem.

Many of us have done tests and easily confirmed the issue and conditions at which it happens. The only problem with that is that the problem had not been quantified and compared against specifications. This is important because the only way an engineer at Pentax can effectively determine whether a problem is a real one or just unreasonable user expectations.

I read and understood Falk's report and am glad the FF issue has been quantified, supporting the need for this to be addressed.
Well written of you, an exellent post!

02-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #188
Pentaxian

Question for falconeye on his FF report.
Quote:
QuoteQuote:
The effect is real and can negatively impact the daily work of a photographer. On the other hand, it is possible to run into a low light tungsten situation without the problem.
No doubt a great effort and lots of time devoted to this, and thanks for that.. but could this statement not have also been written as

"The effect is real but may not negatively impact the daily work of a photographer. It is possible to run into a low light tungsten situation without the problem."

ANd to put this into context of what percentage of the average photographers work this might affect? As I just posted in another thread, the effect on me of this problem is zero. I work mostly outdoors, almost always in available light. I suspect that this is a relatively isolated problem that affects very few professional photographers and even fewer amateurs. But hey, I'm not the expert.

I'm always leery of technical reports of limited focus and relatively obscure problems being taken way out of context by undiscerning users.

Just askin
02-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Question for falconeye on his FF report.
Quote:

No doubt a great effort and lots of time devoted to this, and thanks for that.. but could this statement not have also been written as

QuoteQuote:
The effect is real and can negatively impact the daily work of a photographer. On the other hand, it is possible to run into a low light tungsten situation without the problem.
"The effect is real but may not negatively impact the daily work of a photographer. It is possible to run into a low light tungsten situation without the problem."
Why? Falc's statement doesn't say it will definitely ( or always ) affect the work of a photographer, it just says it can. And indeed it can

I don't understand your reasoning?

QuoteQuote:
ANd to put this into context of what percentage of the average photographers work this might affect? As I just posted in another thread, the effect on me of this problem is zero. I work mostly outdoors, almost always in available light. I suspect that this is a relatively isolated problem that affects very few professional photographers and even fewer amateurs. But hey, I'm not the expert.

I'm always leery of technical reports of limited focus and relatively obscure problems being taken way out of context by undiscerning users.

Just askin

FWIW, I also work mostly outdoors, almost always in available light, and this front focus issue is a big problem for me.

And from what I've seen the FF issue certainly isn't relatively isolated.

I didn't have the sensor stain problem, but I wouldn't dare claim that the issue was relatively obscure or worse imply that those with the problem were undiscerning.

I also take issue with your claim it would affect 'fewer amateurs'. What rationale dictates that Amateurs take fewer photographs in lower light?

Surely if the problem doesn't affect you then why are you trying to minimise it for the rest of us? btw - have you actually compared the performance of your K-5's Phase and Contrast AF systems at EV2 ?

Last edited by Smeggypants; 02-28-2011 at 11:02 AM.
02-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #190
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
According to page 358 of the manual, the metering spec is "EV0 to 22 (ISO 100 50mm f1.4)"
According to page 358 of the manual, the exposure compensation spec is "EV0 to 22 (ISO 100 50mm f1.4)"
02-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #191

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

Just askin
Fine it doesn't affect your photography, but don't disregard a fairly major issue because of that.

My £100 P&S camera can take photos inside with ease. My £1,000 camera can't because it front focuses in low light - thats a fairly major problem.

Please don't put down a problem just because you never see it in your type of photography.
02-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by explosive Quote
Please don't put down a problem just because you never see it in your type of photography.
I think that's right. This issue has not interfered with my photography or enthusiasm for the K-5 (yet--it might down the road) but I'm all in favor of its being resolved.
02-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #193

Oh it hasn't interfered with my enthusiasm for my K5 dadipentak. Its disappointed me when shooting inside and low light. Now I just wait patiently for the so called fix....
02-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #194
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The F-I-X...

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
According to page 358 of the manual, the exposure compensation spec is "EV0 to 22 (ISO 100 50mm f1.4)"
Easy... Simply move the goal post!

Admit there's a typo in the manual, adjust the spec, and BINGO... no problem!!

Cheers... M
02-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #195
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Easy... Simply move the goal post!

Admit there's a typo in the manual, adjust the spec, and BINGO... no problem!!

Cheers... M
Reminds me of "How many Microsoft Engineers does it take to change a light bulb?" "Zero, since Bill Gates will define darkness as a new standard".