Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #316
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
The message about the forthcoming firmware fix relates back to Pentax Europe which the Greece distributor called (if info at DPR is correct). Let's see...
Well, FW v1.3 is here. Any chance you will do a re-test with the new FW update installed? I'm very anxious to get my hands on a K-5 again.

03-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #317
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
Well, FW v1.3 is here. Any chance you will do a re-test with the new FW update installed? I'm very anxious to get my hands on a K-5 again.
FWIW, v1.3 works great!
03-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #318
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
FWIW, v1.3 works great!
I'm excited to hear that. A few more good reports like that and I;m going to take another chance with the K-5.

03-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #319
Veteran Member

I'm excited to hear that. A few more good reports like that and I;m going to take another chance with the K-5.

I'll probably do a little more extensive testing tonight if I have some more free time, but I would certainly say the initial results are encouraging.

03-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #320
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I'll probably do a little more extensive testing tonight if I have some more free time, but I would certainly say the initial results are encouraging.
Very encouraging.

Maybe someone should open a "FW 1.3 Test Results" thread to consolidate all of the reports into one easy to find and follow place. Since I don't currently have a K-5, I feel a little hesitant to start it myself.
03-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #321
Pentaxian

Firmware related post could go to the "New Firmware 1.03" thread.

Results of (preferably systematic) testing could/should still be posted here (Falk, please override my suggestions as you see fit).

Keeping my fingers crossed that the fix will be satisfactory. This will leave only the flash exposure problem as a remaining issue. I personally don't care about the latter. Real strobists shoot in manual mode anyhow.

P.S.: Thanks for version 1.1 of the report, Falk. A nice improvement and thanks for the acknowledgment.
03-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #322
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
This will leave only the flash exposure problem as a remaining issue. I personally don't care about the latter. Real strobists shoot in manual mode anyhow.
I had 3 copies of the K-5 before throwing in the towel for the FF problem. The flash exposure issue was one that I could never reproduce. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, just that I couldn't make it happen.

03-09-2011, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #323
Veteran Member

Sorry - this is a repost from the firmware thread - I probably should have posted here:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I discovered the fix is not perfect, and there is still FF in some situations.

I have just taken a number of shots, all on the FA43, f1.9, ISO100

Low level daylight, t=5s (EV -0.47): fine
Dimmed halogen light, t=10s (EV -1.47): fine
Dimmed halogen light, t=4s (EV -0.15): slight FF
Dimmed halogen light, t=1.3s (EV 1.47): slight FF
Dimmed halogen light, t=0.6s (EV2.59): fine
Halogen light (max brightness), t=1/4s (EV 3.85): fine

The degree of FF is less than before, but the camera is still not perfectly focused.

Further addendum

Prior to Firmware 1.03, I was getting better results by disabling AF fine adjustment, and worse results if I enable AF adjustment but set global and lens specific adjustment setting to 0.

With Firmware 1.03, it seems there is no difference in behaviour if I enable or disable AF fine adjustment.

So this would imply if there was an issue with enabling AF fine adjustment, it is now fixed.

Can anyone else confirm? Falk?
03-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #324
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote

The degree of FF is less than before, but the camera is still not perfectly focused.
Thanks for the info!

I see similar results with mine and 1.03. My test is a little different - my office is long an narrow. There's a fluorescent tube down at the other end that gets me around 1/8 @1600. With 1.02, my ultrawides were unusable - @ 10mm it would focus at 1.5 feet when the sensor said it was locked on the window 15 feet away. With 1.03, it's still not perfect, as you say, but it's within the useful focus range of the wide angle, where it wasn't before. And my FA 35 f2 (my goto lens) FF'd by three feet before, now is dead on under those same circumstances. I'll take spotty performance over no performance any day... I'd call it a big improvement with my Pentax and Sigma lenses.
03-10-2011, 05:39 AM   #325
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Okay, in the quick tests I've done, the problem seems greatly reduced, down to light levels where I frankly would not expect any AF cam to lock unto something.
I'll have to wait tonight to reproduce my 100% FF test (that"s sunny south of France for ya, hard to find a dark place!)...

But right now, it focused accurately on a face in a EV -0.12 light, which is way below what it was capable of before, where it often failed at Ev 4-5 already!

Will have to send my K5 back for the stains, now that I know the FF prob was software only...
03-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #326
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
oh great and powerful falk..... when do you think you'll be able to post your analysis of the 1.03 firmware update and it's pragmatic and real world results?????
thanks, from all of us
dave m
03-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #327
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As I see it, I condemmned myself to spend part of next weekend to check 1.03 out.

I plan to redo the FA 31 f/1.8 1m test with enough points in the chart to see an effect. And to qualify it. Where I am right now and for the weekend, I won't have slower than f/2.8.

That may be good enough for a first comment. But it may need more to figure out what Pentax actually changed. I'll keep an eye on my WB setting too

Note:
I won't be able to visit the half dozen threads about 1.03 which popped up today
03-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #328
Veteran Member

As I see it, I condemmned myself to spend part of next weekend to check 1.03 out.

I plan to redo the FA 31 f/1.8 1m test with enough points in the chart to see an effect. And to qualify it. Where I am right now and for the weekend, I won't have slower than f/2.8.

That may be good enough for a first comment. But it may need more to figure out what Pentax actually changed. I'll keep an eye on my WB setting too

Note:
I won't be able to visit the half dozen threads about 1.03 which popped up today
Thank you, Falk. I really appreciate the effort you have put into this issue.

My big problem now is deciding whether to pull the trigger now or wait for your results. Ready-Fire-Aim
03-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #329
Veteran Member

Note:
We need a new forum: Falk Lumo Reports. Saves your valuable time.

Thanks for everything you bring here.
03-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #330
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I have just taken a number of shots, all on the FA43, f1.9, ISO100
You should have clarified (as you did in another post) that you allowed the AF assist to come on in some occasions.

I plan to redo the FA 31 f/1.8 1m test with enough points in the chart to see an effect.
Great, looking forward to your findings.
Do you think it might perhaps be good to get some data with the old firmware regarding the potential peak of defocus around EV 8? Remember that you posted that you had no data for tungsten around EV6 to EV8?

Not trying to generate more work for you but it might be interesting to check what the state with respect that issue is. Potentially studio shooters experiencing FF problems might have just used slow lenses, but as your data was compatible with a potential EV6-EV8 problem and your slowest lens seems to have been a f/4, it might be worth checking out.

Your report doesn't seem to allow checking whether the EV8 hump is produced by your slowest lens only, but even if that were the case, the EV value seems to be too high to be explained by the colorimetric sensor failure theory.

P.S.: Someone send me a K-5 so that I can help with the testing.