Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax Pro Services Program

According to Ned Bunnell, our NEW President of Pentax Imaging, a new Pentax Pro Services Program will be announced in the PhotoPlus Expo in NY this week.

dpreview Pentax DSLR forum

10-18-2007, 12:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Congrats to him.

This is a very good thing IMO, Ned has always been very helpful and seems to indeed hear what people tell him about what customers want.

Well done, Ned !
10-18-2007, 12:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

i smashed my k10d in half (prism housing broke off...still attached to the bottom of the flash) two weeks ago

i sent it in
they fixed it as a courtesy and its already back in the mail

it surprised the hell out of me.
i bought another k10d as soon as i sent the first one in because i had some weddings to shoot.
then i waited two weeks to call and check the status and see if the warrantee covered it...basically i was going to ask how much it cost me to smash it.

but instead of hearing that ill have a bill, i heard that it is in the mail, i should have it in a couple of days.

2 week turnaround for a RIPPED UP camera? fixed as a courtesy?

i know pentax has a reputation for good service...but it is a reputation for slow service too.

maybe this news of a pro division means the start of some better repair service...

i definately got some good service
10-18-2007, 01:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
i smashed my k10d in half (prism housing broke off...still attached to the bottom of the flash) two weeks ago

i sent it in
they fixed it as a courtesy and its already back in the mail

it surprised the hell out of me.
i bought another k10d as soon as i sent the first one in because i had some weddings to shoot.
then i waited two weeks to call and check the status and see if the warrantee covered it...basically i was going to ask how much it cost me to smash it.

but instead of hearing that ill have a bill, i heard that it is in the mail, i should have it in a couple of days.

2 week turnaround for a RIPPED UP camera? fixed as a courtesy?

i know pentax has a reputation for good service...but it is a reputation for slow service too.

maybe this news of a pro division means the start of some better repair service...

i definately got some good service
Thats very cool service!!!

(my first digital camera was kodak dc3200 with a whole 1mp and 2x digital zoom, I got it on special at AU$500 (had been $700+) anyway I had it about 2 1/2 years (and passed on it to my kids) when the battery cover broke. I emailed Kodak saying it was out of warranty but was it possible to get another cover from somewhere, they sent me one from the US within about 2 weeks for free. Was always very impressed - 4 kids and my mum all have kodak p&s's now).

Phil

10-18-2007, 06:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Actually in the last 6 months they added semi-pro service which I announced a while back. Basically for $40 they will get your camera back to you in less than 8 days but Pro service is even more tremendous than that. I'm glad they want to make things official, it's a real pleasure working with them.
10-18-2007, 08:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes Pentax service has been known to be slow, but if you actualy talk with some one there their usualy good about a less than 1 month turnaround. Also they do many things they do not charge for often.
I too have been suprised sometimes what has come back repaired for free.
10-18-2007, 08:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

My brother's ist-D had the common bad RTF flash circuit (flash won't work, battery indicated ampty when trying to use it).
Very annonying so the camera went to RMA at Pentax Belgium. The camera was out of warranty.

It came back with new flash circuit, cleaned inside and sensor as well.

Total... 0€

Very nice from them althgough that is indeed a known problem of the ist-D. But they could have charged for it.

10-18-2007, 07:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Is this the mobile pro service cart???? Do they make housecalls???
Kind of like the geek squad. Let's see..... pixelpeep squad? naaa

sorry, borrowed image from here:
Pentax outside PhotoPlus Expo in NYC...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
10-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
My brother's ist-D had the common bad RTF flash circuit (flash won't work, battery indicated ampty when trying to use it).
Very annonying so the camera went to RMA at Pentax Belgium. The camera was out of warranty.

It came back with new flash circuit, cleaned inside and sensor as well.

Total... 0€

Very nice from them althgough that is indeed a known problem of the ist-D. But they could have charged for it.
Was it within two years of it's purchase? EU regulations require manufacturers to fix production faults within two years from purchase, even in the case when manufacturer warranty is shorter.
10-19-2007, 02:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Was it within two years of it's purchase? EU regulations require manufacturers to fix production faults within two years from purchase, even in the case when manufacturer warranty is shorter.
No no it was way later. I think it was about 6 months ago or something like that. Wayyy later than 2 years after purchase.
10-19-2007, 08:46 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Pentax USA, in my experience, has been great about repairing their top-of-the-line stuff gratis. They replaced the lens mount/standard of my MZ-S when it was obviously bent out of whack out of the warranty period - I think I got it back in two or three weeks, no questions asked.
No, there must be more to this Pro Service plan. Would love to hear more.
10-25-2007, 09:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

What happened to the announcement of the Pentax Pro Service? Maybe I just missed it. Would like to know the details of the program and how you qualify for it.
Kent
08-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

old thread but had to answer last Q

PENTAX ANNOUNCES PRO PROGRAM: BENEFITS INCLUDE EQUIPMENT LOANS AND EXPEDITED REPAIRS
January 31, 2008

PENTAX ANNOUNCES PRO PROGRAM:

BENEFITS INCLUDE EQUIPMENT LOANS AND EXPEDITED REPAIRS

GOLDEN, CO. (January 31, 2008)…PENTAX Imaging Company has announced a PENTAX Professional Services program (PPS) to support professional photographers with several services and benefits. Designed exclusively to support PENTAX products for the working pro, membership is complimentary and limited to working professional photographers.

Known for superior photography products including the K series of digital SLR camera bodies that are compatible with every PENTAX lens ever made, PENTAX systems allow lens interchangeability for a multitude of photographic options. PENTAX will continue to release new and exciting lenses including super fast, special purpose, impressive zoom ranges, and telephoto lenses that will incorporate the new SDM (Supersonic Drive Motor) technology for ultra fast and quiet auto-focusing.

Benefits to members of the new PPS program include:

· 72 hour rush turnaround on most PENTAX digital SLR repairs. (Repair charges may be incurred depending on existing or extended warranty programs.)

· Short-term equipment loans that allow photographers to evaluate equipment prior to an actual purchase and/or borrow unique or limited availability lenses for one-time shoots.

· Direct access to dedicated customer service representatives in PENTAX headquarters to answer technical questions, arrange product loans, or monitor equipment through the repair process to make sure the repair process is timely.

PPS membership is limited to PENTAX professional photographers who derive 51 percent or more of their annual income from photography. Membership may be obtained by completing a PENTAX Professional Service program application. Interested photographers are asked to complete the application, provide an original signature and mail it to the address listed on the form (fax or e-mail copies of this application will not be accepted). PENTAX will notify new members about acceptance within 2-3 weeks. At the time of acceptance, PENTAX will provide more information about rush repair servicing, short-term product loans, and a list of the contact information for PPS customer service representatives who will be able to assist with any aspect of the PPS program, products and services.

For more information about the PENTAX Professional Services program including an application, e-mail customer.followup@pentax.com or call 1-800-877-0155 (press “0” and ask to speak to PENTAX Professional Services).

PENTAX Imaging Company is an innovative leader in the production of digital SLR and compact cameras, lenses, flash units, binoculars, scopes, eyepieces and mobile printers and scanners. For more than 80 years, PENTAX technology has developed durable, reliable products that meet the needs of consumers and businesses. With headquarters in Golden, Colorado, PENTAX Imaging Company is a division of PENTAX of America, Inc.
08-24-2008, 06:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I am an official PPS member, and frankly I have yet to use anything really. Though I will be sending a flash in for a few repairs (minor) but other than that I can’t use much of the services.
Currently they are looking into and trying to get more equipment to loan, I have talked with them about having something that pros would really need 300/2.8 and 600/4
They currently have everything that is in current production, The body loan may come in handy if I need to send my K20D in for a fix, but I already have 2 K10's a K20 2 istD and 2 DS's. Most pros have a bunch of bodies and lenses.
The only other loan I could poss use right now is maybe the 12-24 or the 300 F4 (for something compact/light) or a loan of a lens if for repair.
Its still a very new program and I have hopes for it, however if you are a pro and hoping for something like NPS (nikon pro) right off the bat, you will be sorely disappointed.
08-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #15

PPS

I've never had to have my stuff sent off to Pentax to be fixed since being a member of PPS. I have used the free loaner program they offer. Got my hands on a K20 when they first came out and a couple of lens. It was great! Joe from Pentax formally called me everythime I placed a request in and told me it was in the mail. Awesome idea!!

To get into the program, you have to prove that you are a pro. I listed my website, Cayman Imaging | 303.396.8034, sent in business cards and examples of my work. I was one of the first to get into the program, so it took a little over a month to get accepted.

I think they realize there are pros out here that do use Pentax and they want to build upon that so that as they slowly become a player again, the pros will be there to support them.