Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My wife love it for sure.. she love that little bear..

03-05-2011, 12:23 AM   #17
Veteran Member

wow seriously... pentax's marketing team must really be doing anything to sell what is already a great camera... I would hate for a great piece of hardware have to sell on its technical merits alone... that would be... crazy! Ahh well people pay for senseless trash all the time I guess.
03-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hanging my head in shame....
03-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Most old fogies are too conservative in color preference so it is not surprising that most oldtimers would find any color aside from boring black abhorrent. Fortunately Pentax is wise enough to know they cannot rely upon a shrinking pool of aging conservative oldtimers to buy their cameras as this demographic either don't have the propensity nor purchasing power to spend or if they do have the money, would have probably jumped ship to another brand. So I see the trend for colored limited editions to be a good thing to expand brand awareness to a different, younger demographic. Unfortunately there will be a segment of Pentax users who will never understand this.

03-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #20
Veteran Member

There is a difference in selling non-standard colors or designs.. its another to keep coming out with limited versions of pop stars and cartoons... Will Pentax Canada release a Hockey Night In Canada K-r? How about the USA... they could have a .357 magnum version or a MLB Limited version that would be all white with red stitching. There are some that would look pretty slick, and I'm all for it. I just think some of these are not so aesthetically appealing.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Sometimes I wonder what kind of brand Pentax is...
QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
Pentax definitely knows how to market in Japan. Americans don't get this stuff.
QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
A distinctly Japanese one.
My thoughts exactly. Yes population density says they can hit a big market by seeing what is "big in Japan" but does this mean that Pentax's global marketing gets $0 towards anything other than advertisement... if any at all? I would probably order a special edition K-5 or K-r(for a 2nd body) if they had something slick and relevant in north america, or worldwide.. but WTF is a little brown bear? Even having a 4 year old that means I've seen my share of treehouse, PBSkids, CBCKids etc... I've never even heard of this one.. nor the Pop star they modeled the pink/camo etc one after.
I guess the rest of the world gets to choose between black or silver :/
03-06-2011, 04:55 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Most old fogies are too conservative in color preference so it is not surprising that most oldtimers would find any color aside from boring black abhorrent. .
I'm so old I can remember when black cameras were rare!
03-06-2011, 09:05 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
My thoughts exactly. Yes population density says they can hit a big market by seeing what is "big in Japan" but does this mean that Pentax's global marketing gets $0 towards anything other than advertisement... if any at all? I would probably order a special edition K-5 or K-r(for a 2nd body) if they had something slick and relevant in north america, or worldwide.. but WTF is a little brown bear?
Well WTF is a north american kids program to the Japanese? Most people under thirty-five in Japan haven't seen Star Wars. The only cross-overs are things like "Thomas the Tank Engine" and "Disney" .. is that what you want to see?

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The latest limited edition offering from Pentax is the Rilakkuma Limited Edition K-r. Color is the two tone brown K-r of the Japanese cute little lazy bear: Rilakkuma. A limited run of 1000 copies.
I guess we know what's next 8^D

doraemon - Google Search

04-07-2011, 06:30 AM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Well WTF is a north american kids program to the Japanese? Most people under thirty-five in Japan haven't seen Star Wars. The only cross-overs are things like "Thomas the Tank Engine" and "Disney" .. is that what you want to see?

I guess we know what's next 8^D

doraemon - Google Search
Whoah. I would buy a 'Thomas' edition K-r right away, no hesitation. Hopefully with a limited edition 15mm f4 - 'Fat Controller' special..
04-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Hahah this one awfully reminded me of Pedobear too. =))

But anyway, yeah if Pentax is going to push through with this kind of marketing, why just Japan? Why not the whole world? For sure, there must be something that's internationally famous they can paint a K-r with..... XD
04-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mplatt1903 Quote
Whoah. I would buy a 'Thomas' edition K-r right away, no hesitation. Hopefully with a limited edition 15mm f4 - 'Fat Controller' special..
Thomas edition camera = nightmarish idea, in my household. My two year old already begs to hold the "cramera" as-is. If it was Thomas-themed, I'd never be able to pry it back out of his hands!
04-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I gotta hand it to Pentax for wanting to put DSLR's in the hands of the masses and marketing to their home audience but doing this stuff doesn't help them out as a global company.

In fact, I'd say it's one of the main reasons why people say "Oh I'm sorry" when you tell them you shoot Pentax.

Then again I love my white K-X. And I love blowing people away with the images I get out of it.
04-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I have a Rilakkuma case for my iPhone just to stand out. My GF has a Rilakkuma wash cloth and various stationery. She was very amused by this camera. I couldn't tell if she was serious when she said she wants it ...
04-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gtxtom Quote
I couldn't tell if she was serious when she said she wants it ...
Only one way to find out for sure.

/good luck if you get it wrong! ;-)
04-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Thomas edition camera = nightmarish idea, in my household. My two year old already begs to hold the "cramera" as-is. If it was Thomas-themed, I'd never be able to pry it back out of his hands!
I'd be in the same boat. Our living room floor is constantly strewen with Brio/Thomas trains.
04-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
I'd be in the same boat. Our living room floor is constantly strewen with Brio/Thomas trains.
But if you saw a Thomas edition Kr how tempted would you really be.. go on, admit it