Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
NEW Pentax Optio S1

Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

QuoteQuote:
PENTAX Imaging Company announced the PENTAX Optio S1 digital compact camera with advanced, easy-to-use features and an eye-catching, gem-like finish. Available in striking Chrome or a glossy Black or Green, the Optio S1 is a fashionable and elegant digital camera with an ultralight body featuring:
• A high resolution 14 megapixel sensor for exceptional image detail.
• Wide angle 5X optical zoom lens (28-140mm) for flexible image framing.
• Ample 2.7 inch LCD for easy capture and playback of images and video.
• Sensor-shift PENTAX Shake Reduction (SR) system for sharp low light and telephoto images.
• Widescreen 720p HD video capture.
• Powerful PENTAX Auto Picture mode for set-it-and-forget-it shooting convenience.
• Fast Face Detection, Smile Capture, and Blink Detection for perfect portraits.
• High Dynamic Range (HDR) mode for outstanding detail in wide exposure images (new to PENTAX digital compact cameras).
• PENTAX infrared remote control (remote purchased separately).

..Looks great, but am I the only one who thinks it looks like a Powershot?

03-02-2011, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Reminds me of the liquid metal T-1000 Terminator in Terminator 2.

03-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
That looks 'shopped! I can tell by some of the pixels.
03-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's nice to see Pentax putting image stabilization in the P&S and also the HDR mode. But I don't see any details on sensor size or lens aperture. I get the impression that the target demographic doesn't care about such things. The press release had a lot of information on the colors and finish of the camera as well as the laser etching. So I think this is a camera for those that like to have a pretty camera.

03-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
It's nice to see Pentax putting image stabilization in the P&S and also the HDR mode. But I don't see any details on sensor size or lens aperture. I get the impression that the target demographic doesn't care about such things. The press release had a lot of information on the colors and finish of the camera as well as the laser etching. So I think this is a camera for those that like to have a pretty camera.
A 28-140 equivalent, aperture 3.9-5.7. Yet another underwhelming P&S from Pentax, IMO...
03-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
A 28-140 equivalent, aperture 3.9-5.7. Yet another underwhelming P&S from Pentax, IMO...
Mmm considering it has an OK range, is quite slim and has true hardware SR, I don't see the problem. Nothing for us, sure, but not stupid either.
03-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #7

Original Poster
Pretty cheap, too. Adorama is listing it at a clean $199 here. Not sure if that's official or just a placeholder, but seems like a good deal once it gets some discounts. (and as long as the IQ is good, of course)
Edit: Just found the right page for it on the Pentax Web Store. $199 there, too. I think I prefer the RZ10, however.

03-06-2011, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Why make 1000 different crap cameras? Noone buys pentax compacts, because everybody know they're budget. They should make something like Panasonic LX3 and 5, but better. I rather get a phone camera than one of pentax compacts. And who really wants 14 mp on a compact? Look at a 14 mp compact camera image in 1:1 and see how little IQ you get for the money. Pentax should make phone cameras for htc or something instead.

Imagine how much more popular this camera would have been if it was f1,8-2,8 or something. And a bigger about 10mp sensor with usable iso 400.
03-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
Why make 1000 different crap cameras? Noone buys pentax compacts, because everybody know they're budget. They should make something like Panasonic LX3 and 5, but better. I rather get a phone camera than one of pentax compacts. And who really wants 14 mp on a compact? Look at a 14 mp compact camera image in 1:1 and see how little IQ you get for the money. Pentax should make phone cameras for htc or something instead.

Imagine how much more popular this camera would have been if it was f1,8-2,8 or something. And a bigger about 10mp sensor with usable iso 400.
You see the same complaints about Nikon's recent reliance on volume sales. I agree with you about the whole class of camera ever since they passed the 6MP point - when people ask me to recommend a point and shoot I can't come up with anything.
03-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

People in Sweden has started buying better compacts. The toplist on one of the bigger sites has two high end canons in the top 1. s95 and 2. g12, behind are a mix of cheap and good cameras like ixus 130 and nikon p7000. I think people want quality, not crap like this.

A year ago the list of the same site was full of cameras like cheap ixus and such.
03-07-2011, 04:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
People in Sweden has started buying better compacts. The toplist on one of the bigger sites has two high end canons in the top 1. s95 and 2. g12, behind are a mix of cheap and good cameras like ixus 130 and nikon p7000. I think people want quality, not crap like this.

A year ago the list of the same site was full of cameras like cheap ixus and such.
I'd guess that the compact P&S sector is being driven upmarket because of the increasing prowess of camera phones.
03-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

maybe. and the prices are getting lower.
02-17-2014, 01:40 AM   #13

Well, I am looking to buy either Pentax Optio I-10 but I read some mixed suggestions that Olympus FE-47 is also a good camera. Can anyone suggest me whether i should go with Pentax or Olympus model camera? Thank you
02-17-2014, 02:25 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Rathod Quote
Well, I am looking to buy either Pentax Optio I-10 but I read some mixed suggestions that Olympus FE-47 is also a good camera. Can anyone suggest me whether i should go with Pentax or Olympus model camera? Thank you
You'd probably be better off getting a more current model. The I-10 looks cool but current compacts have much higher specs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-17-2014, 02:49 AM   #15
Banned

I think fake, but who knows. The compacts would be getting the Ricoh label.

Edit:
O wow a very old thread.