Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Entry level pricing better than ever

Since I make my living as a marketer, it is always fun to see what another industry is doing in trying to increase market share. According to several reports the real battlefield is for the digicam owner that is stepping up to their first DSLR. Besides looking for lower noise I would suspect they put a great deal of weight on some sort of shake reduction and a super zoom lens. With that in mind I've been tracking prices to see how this market segment is shaping up. I would think the aggressive retailer would run some specials on entry level bodies combined with a super zoom lens for the holidays. Here is what the pricing is today using B & H web site.

Pentax K100D super w/Tamron 18-250 $870
Canon XT w/Sigma 18-200 stabilized lens $996
Pentax K10D w/Tamron 18-250 $1,100
Olympus E-510 w/18-180 $1,120
Canon XTI w/Sigma 18-200 stabilized lens $1,142
Nikon D40 w/18-200 VR $1,196
Nikon D40X w/18-200 $1,343

Of course these include the rebate and sadly this is just US pricing. The super zoom digicam owner is probably a little more savvy than the average buyer and might be willing to look at something other than the big two. A lot of them are Panny and Fuji owners so maybe buying into Pentax is not as big a negative as it is for most. The reason i used the Tamron lens instead of the new Pentax is that the Tamron is available now and we don't know how long it will take for the Pentax one to show up.

It will be interesting to see if the retailers put together kits like these. If they do Pentax could be a big winner in the holiday sweepstakes.

Regards,

Ken

Last edited by regken; 10-20-2007 at 06:16 AM.
10-20-2007, 06:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting and as a retail salesman I have some input on this topic, plus a lot of the pro dealers are having discussions on this very topic in the private pro forums.

The Pentax system is currently the best selling system at our store because our salesmen, another wonderful gentleman and myself, are avid Pentax users and can communicate well with our shoppers.

Scenario from last night will help shed some light on what I'm talking about. I had a couple come in look for a great camera to take family portraits, pictures of their dogs and their kids playing sports. They wanted the best from everything they said and I handed them a Canon 40D with a 70-300mm IS and they were blown away by the speed and everything and the husband was hooked. The wife asked if there was anything else that would be good for this and of course I told here there was but they'd loose a few things, but gain a lot more. I handed them a Pentax K10D with a DA* 50-135mm and they played around with it and they looked confused. Both cameras appeared to be of equal capacity and the husband noticed that the focus was pretty much the same but he liked the Pentax feel and so I explained to him for the difference between the two systems I handed him. Canon would be faster of course but a loss in value because I just handed him a nearly equally priced system setup but with superb optics from the Pentax that would make an excellent portrait lens as well as sports lens from the sidelines. They then asked what would make a great group family/landscape lens and I told them that either of the kit lenses would be great at that, but the Pentax kit has better colour rendtion and IQ and it does so no lie there but the husband wanted something better. I responded with the Pentax 16-45mm 4 and the Canon 17-40mm 4 L, which are acclaimed lense from both camps showed him comparison shots I took from a model shoot with both lenses and of course the Pentax IQ was better in all of our opinions. I tallyed up the prices for both systems and of course Pentax was hands down $500 cheaper with much better optics and the couple agreed and walked out the door with a K10D, battery grip, spare battery, a DA* 50-135mm 2.8, a DA 16-45mm F4, an MRock sling bag and a lot of joy.

These people never shot with film SLR's, their previous camera was an Olympus point and shoot digital. The huge discussion on the pro forums is what people are looking for in a new camera and here is the jist of it.

Value for there money!

Pentax has the greatest value for your hard earned cash ratio then any brand period. We as retailers use that knowledge and it's a massive selling point and that is why our tiny little store has sold well over 150 K10D's since the fiscal starting year which is March. Canon can't keep up with our orders right now, but we've outsold 40d's since launch by this exact number 47 to 18. Our store mananger thought the K10d's wouldn't sell after the 40D launch, but he was very very wrong.

Our little store will make sure Pentax has waves across the camera industry one sale after another and it's not like we sabotage Canon because we still are the largest pro Canon dealer in the area and our sales this year crush last years, it's just that Canons marketing and garbage cameras are ruining them. When the 20D came out people flocked to the camera and gobbled it up, less so for the 30D, and only a tiny number gobbled up the 40D, which our Canon rep has assured us will pick up in the holiday season (he's full of it). The K10D has sold strong since release last year and it's initial sales rivaled the big boys compared to other camera brands in our region, but even it's current sales are strong and Pentax is finally shipping these bodies in decent quantites now.

By fiscal years end (March of next year) Pentax will have made a huge leap in camera sales if things keep going and it's not just based on price but by intelligent salesmen and great value for there consumers money, which is why Nikon and Olympus are a blip on the new user radar.

Hmm, can you sell me a system that uses a tiny sensor full of noise and an awful menu system? Even better a mount that excepts only a couple of lenses and for a few bucks more I could have a camera thats fully weather sealed, has dust reduction, and superior optics for the price? Thats the reason why Best Buy stinks at sales cause very few of there employees know the intricacies of the feature sets per system and what sells. New users don't care about advertising anymore, they have the internet at the palm of their hands and will end up knowing more than the box store employees most of the time and the key feature is the price vs what I get ratio.
10-20-2007, 07:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote

I tallyed up the prices for both systems and of course Pentax was hands down $500 cheaper with much better optics and the couple agreed and walked out the door with a K10D, battery grip, spare battery, a DA* 50-135mm 2.8, a DA 16-45mm F4, an MRock sling bag and a lot of joy.

New users don't care about advertising anymore, they have the internet at the palm of their hands and will end up knowing more than the box store employees most of the time and the key feature is the price vs what I get ratio.
So the first time buyer chooses the K10D over the Canon 40D. That would indicate the downscale buyer looking at the Nikon D40 and Canon XT will choose a Pentax most of the time?
I would think that as we say here in Maine that"s a no Brainah.

regards,
Ken
10-20-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

no brainah mate

10-20-2007, 08:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Codiac, this is a very interesting story.

That said I think this is only valid dor buyer which are aware of the Internet use for buying stuff. I'm teacher in an area which is socially not favorised (is that correct English?) and beleive me: those kids think that Internet = MSN + Google. They'd never eventhink about looking for prices on the Net.
10-21-2007, 08:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

So what is your "tiny little store", if you don't mind me asking? I'm in IL now and then, so I thought I'd ask...

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Interesting and as a retail salesman I have some input on this topic, plus a lot of the pro dealers are having discussions on this very topic in the private pro forums.

The Pentax system is currently the best selling system at our store because our salesmen, another wonderful gentleman and myself, are avid Pentax users and can communicate well with our shoppers.

Scenario from last night will help shed some light on what I'm talking about. I had a couple come in look for a great camera to take family portraits, pictures of their dogs and their kids playing sports. They wanted the best from everything they said and I handed them a Canon 40D with a 70-300mm IS and they were blown away by the speed and everything and the husband was hooked. The wife asked if there was anything else that would be good for this and of course I told here there was but they'd loose a few things, but gain a lot more. I handed them a Pentax K10D with a DA* 50-135mm and they played around with it and they looked confused. Both cameras appeared to be of equal capacity and the husband noticed that the focus was pretty much the same but he liked the Pentax feel and so I explained to him for the difference between the two systems I handed him. Canon would be faster of course but a loss in value because I just handed him a nearly equally priced system setup but with superb optics from the Pentax that would make an excellent portrait lens as well as sports lens from the sidelines. They then asked what would make a great group family/landscape lens and I told them that either of the kit lenses would be great at that, but the Pentax kit has better colour rendtion and IQ and it does so no lie there but the husband wanted something better. I responded with the Pentax 16-45mm 4 and the Canon 17-40mm 4 L, which are acclaimed lense from both camps showed him comparison shots I took from a model shoot with both lenses and of course the Pentax IQ was better in all of our opinions. I tallyed up the prices for both systems and of course Pentax was hands down $500 cheaper with much better optics and the couple agreed and walked out the door with a K10D, battery grip, spare battery, a DA* 50-135mm 2.8, a DA 16-45mm F4, an MRock sling bag and a lot of joy.

These people never shot with film SLR's, their previous camera was an Olympus point and shoot digital. The huge discussion on the pro forums is what people are looking for in a new camera and here is the jist of it.

Value for there money!

Pentax has the greatest value for your hard earned cash ratio then any brand period. We as retailers use that knowledge and it's a massive selling point and that is why our tiny little store has sold well over 150 K10D's since the fiscal starting year which is March. Canon can't keep up with our orders right now, but we've outsold 40d's since launch by this exact number 47 to 18. Our store mananger thought the K10d's wouldn't sell after the 40D launch, but he was very very wrong.

Our little store will make sure Pentax has waves across the camera industry one sale after another and it's not like we sabotage Canon because we still are the largest pro Canon dealer in the area and our sales this year crush last years, it's just that Canons marketing and garbage cameras are ruining them. When the 20D came out people flocked to the camera and gobbled it up, less so for the 30D, and only a tiny number gobbled up the 40D, which our Canon rep has assured us will pick up in the holiday season (he's full of it). The K10D has sold strong since release last year and it's initial sales rivaled the big boys compared to other camera brands in our region, but even it's current sales are strong and Pentax is finally shipping these bodies in decent quantites now.

By fiscal years end (March of next year) Pentax will have made a huge leap in camera sales if things keep going and it's not just based on price but by intelligent salesmen and great value for there consumers money, which is why Nikon and Olympus are a blip on the new user radar.

Hmm, can you sell me a system that uses a tiny sensor full of noise and an awful menu system? Even better a mount that excepts only a couple of lenses and for a few bucks more I could have a camera thats fully weather sealed, has dust reduction, and superior optics for the price? Thats the reason why Best Buy stinks at sales cause very few of there employees know the intricacies of the feature sets per system and what sells. New users don't care about advertising anymore, they have the internet at the palm of their hands and will end up knowing more than the box store employees most of the time and the key feature is the price vs what I get ratio.