Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 03:41 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I really doubt that this type of software is made in-house by Pentax R&D department.
Yep, as if the guys making the firmware on a completely different arch (Fujitsu cpu) and probably in assembler was wasting time on an iPhone app for iOS.

Well, laughable (the idea the engineers doing the iphone App).

03-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if they must have an iphone/android app, would be smarter to go for: dof calculator, sun angle/height calculator (for landscape photographers), lighting setup calculator (?) for studio shooters. eyes on the ball. just my two cents
03-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
if they must have an iphone/android app, would be smarter to go for: dof calculator, sun angle/height calculator (for landscape photographers), lighting setup calculator (?) for studio shooters. eyes on the ball. just my two cents
Agreed but... this is already available. Lens/bodies database though (like a mobile KMP) would be very cool
03-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Well, now that those software engineers are freed up from working on iPhone apps, they can get to the front focus problem. I'm sure they are the same engineering team.
Though I have no idea about Pentax's development org, I can guarantee you they are not the same engineering team. I am in this industry and there are literally thousands of different streams in software industry. Though to non-software folks it all looks the same, it isn't.

This app is most likely from some small-time app-development company with bunch of young engineers. Definitely not from Pentax itself.

03-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm

Just the other day I was thinking of trying my hands on iPhone app development. How hard can it be? :-)

Submit your best ideas to me, and I'll consider writing an app for it. Don't ask for the impossible though.

DOF calculator, EV calculator sounds nice, but I thought there were already apps to do that?
03-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

"Well, now that those software engineers are freed up from working on iPhone apps, they can get to the front focus problem. I'm sure they are the same engineering team."

I was being sarcastic.

I sometimes forget to add the winky smiley face.

For what its worth I am a designer that works as part of a team in a manufacturing facility. We make boats used by military, coastguard, and law enforcement.

Although I know nothing about camera building, I am very familiar with production of custom items, and the resulting problems. As well as how teams are orgainised to get something built/made/produced. At no time would I have ever considered that the team that writes focusing software would have anything to do with the team that wrote the cell phone ap. I would'nt even expect them to be part of the same company.

Although it is concevable that the ap was writen by someone in the Pentax team as a diversion during their "down" time. The engineers I know always have side projects going that they spend their off hours messing about with.

Anyhow, sarcasm, dificult to convay over the interwebs.
03-16-2011, 02:47 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Hmm

Just the other day I was thinking of trying my hands on iPhone app development. How hard can it be? :-)

Submit your best ideas to me, and I'll consider writing an app for it. Don't ask for the impossible though.

DOF calculator, EV calculator sounds nice, but I thought there were already apps to do that?
There's definitely a DOF calculator (or two or more, one of which I have on my iPhone) - not sure about EV.
Also, if I recall correctly, there's at least one (paid) iPhone app for tethering Canon and/or Nikon cameras, so why not one for Pentax?
03-16-2011, 03:17 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Because Pentax cameras do no support (officially) tethering ?

03-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I ended up writing EV and DOF calculators as Google Docs spreadsheets - that way I can access them from any web browser, not just iPhone.

There's a really cool "DOF simulator" that graphically shows the effect of DOF on 3D wireframe diagrams - unfortunately won't run on iPhone because it's written in Java.

Still considering whether i should try doing some iPhone development - apparently i need to pay Apple $99 to join the iOS development program - not sure I want to do that.