Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 06:42 AM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Oooh I suppose (sorry for the silly question) that you didn't forget to enable the thing in custom menus?
It makes no difference. No reason for this has been given.

03-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Strange. Never heard that before (puzzled).
03-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Having taken a few dozen test shots around the house in dim light with my Sigma 30mm at f/1.4, I have to say I'm *very* pleased with Firmware V1.03.
03-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Nicely done.
Now I demand FW 1.04 that introduces the neat new features from 645D fw1.02 and also adds automatic image rotation on review.
... and I 'demand' FW 1.05 that brings these nice 40 megapixel of the 645D, too.

I guess I do know now why I am no salesman... too hard to keep your customers happy

03-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
now we just need the tethering!
Try PK_Tether referenced elsewhere in the forum, it works.
03-15-2011, 08:04 AM   #21

Just wondering since I am now a new owner of a K-5 and a new Pentax owner....when uploading the firmware, am I having to upload each one of the updates...v1.01, v1.02, etc toget all the complete historical updates, or is just getting the most recent include all of them??

Thanks for the update!
03-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Install directly 1.03 - it will completely overwrite the previous firmware (i.e. no, they are not cumulative).

03-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurelia7 Quote
...I am now a new owner of a K-5 and a new Pentax owner....when uploading the firmware, am I having to upload each one of the updates...v1.01, v1.02,... or is just getting the most recent include all of them?
Here's another tip for a first-time firmware updater, at least one who's downloaded the Mac zip file: the .zip file unzips to a binary named "FWDC209B.BIN", but for the camera to find it, it needs to be all lowercase, "fwdc209b.bin", exactly as stated in the README file. So you'll need to fix the filename before you actually perform the update. (This has been a problem in previous firmware updates, too.)
03-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by infosyn Quote
Here's another tip for a first-time firmware updater, at least one who's downloaded the Mac zip file: the .zip file unzips to a binary named "FWDC209B.BIN", but for the camera to find it, it needs to be all lowercase, "fwdc209b.bin", exactly as stated in the README file. So you'll need to fix the filename before you actually perform the update. (This has been a problem in previous firmware updates, too.)
This is true on Mac and UNIX but Windows doesn't care, since there is no case sensitivity in filenames on Windows.
03-16-2011, 02:33 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Delgado Quote
It makes no difference. No reason for this has been given.
I can't understand this. My K-5 provides preview image rotation.
03-16-2011, 02:41 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
Try PK_Tether referenced elsewhere in the forum, it works.
Unfortunately, only for Windows, as David knows. Fortunately, Windows-only isn't a problem for Mac users if you're willing to run Windows in Boot Camp or a virtual machine. Unix users get left to their own devices (excepting, of course, Apple's version of Unix, called Mac OS X).
What would be good would be an app for the iPad (or for the Mac, now). People pay for those - not much, but still a reward for the dedicated coder.
Oh dear, we're a bit off-topic, unless Pentax decides an iPhone tether app is a good idea for the next round of software/firmware updates, (un)like they decided they needed an iPhone Optio app, which is only a marketing tool.
03-16-2011, 02:44 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by infosyn Quote
I am a Mac user and I never encountered this problem that you describe.
When I unzipped the file it was in all caps and I didn't need to change anything.
03-16-2011, 03:29 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I am a Mac user and I never encountered this problem that you describe.
When I unzipped the file it was in all caps and I didn't need to change anything.
He probably got his mac configured with case sensitive file system which creates a lot of problems including incompatibilities with Adobe softs (PS included).
03-16-2011, 07:27 AM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I can't understand this. My K-5 provides preview image rotation.
I've updated to FW 1.03. It still makes no difference, even though rotation is enabled in the Menus. Overall it doesn't matter to me - I just find it puzzling that it has been documented as a problem for some time without any acknowledgement. The problems that matter are being addressed (for the most part), so something gimmicky not working hardly seems worth me getting upset about.
03-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
This is true on Mac and UNIX but Windows doesn't care, since there is no case sensitivity in filenames on Windows.
Not quite true. While Windows will recognize ABC.TXT as the same as abc.txt, it will maintain upper lower case in file names. For example, if you create a file called AbC.tXt and copy it to a different folder, the upper/lower case letters will be the same.

This was done for Posix, the Unix application programming interface. AFAIK, it is still included in Windows 7, although it is not used a lot. A Posix-compliant program that opens a file WILL be subject to case sensitivity. IOW, if the file is named abc.txt and the program attempts to open ABC.TXT, the open will fail. For a program using the standard Windows API, the open would succeed.

But, since almost every program uses the Windows API and not POSIX, it is, for all intents and purposes, true that Windows is not case-sensitive for filenames.