Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2011, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maxdao Quote
$150? I'll wait till our Chinese friends copy that thing and put it to gadgetinfinity for $11.99 Then we can buy it to play with it
If I could, I would have given you negative rep.

03-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
My current solution has just been to ruthlessly abuse my lens hoods and scratch the shit out of the bottom of my cameras. But even though I'm about to spend more than $150 replacing all the lens hoods that I've broken, I still don't see that as anything I would ever use. I"m sure it would be useful to some. But for me, even leaving a manfrotto baseplate on my camera bothers me. When it's around my neck, I hate feeling it dig into my chest, or the way it feels in my hand when I shoot verticals. Having something that large on the bottom of my camera would drive me absolutely bonkers.
Interesting. I've never negatively noticed my manfrotto plate while generally handling the cameras.

I also turn my hand with the cam to shoot verticals as I dont' have a grip attached any more.

I guess if it bothers you then fair doos
03-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
One more note:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

Best Regards my Pentax friends,
Yvon Bourque

Well you just alienated a whole bunch of possible customers. Well done.
03-13-2011, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a quick question. Im not taking sides by any means. Im not sayin its worth the money, or not...

I just want to know why everyone seems to be mad at the guy? It seems like he just had an idea, produced it, and tried to market it?

... I just feel bad for him... seems like all he was trying to do was come up with an original idea, and everyone is jumping down his throat for it.

Just think about if it were you who were doing this? what would you rather hear? "Haha, id never pay that for over priced scrap metal" or "Sounds like a nice concept, maybe a little over priced, but I wish you luck" -- Golden Rule. --

To Yvon, for what its worth, i think its a great idea, a little over priced maybe, but a great idea, I wish you luck. And if you consider the email i sent you the other day, I would love to do a review of this product once its in production...

03-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #35

This is what happens when you lead up to your announcement by saying that it will be "revolutionary". That's a hard reality to live up to and most people aren't believing that it is revolutionary. The high pricepoint is also another factor in everyone's reaction.

Right or wrong, it is what it is.
03-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #36
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This thread says much about quality of people around here. What a bunch of tactless riff-raff.
03-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
This thread says much about quality of people around here. What a bunch of tactless riff-raff.
Oooo the snobbery. Enjoy being superior.
03-14-2011, 04:09 AM   #38
Veteran Member

"Something new is coming. DSLRs will never be the same..."
These are the words you should not write. It's just a lie.

03-14-2011, 04:37 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
"Something new is coming. DSLRs will never be the same..."
These are the words you should not write. It's just a lie.

Hear hear! I fully agree. Yvon has self-inflicted a lot of harm by hyping up the expectations to that effect.

"Pentax K-5/ K-7 will get it first, but Nikon, Canon, Sony and Olympus will get it next." was just as misleading and he has set himself up for exactly this response no more, no less. After all, this is one size for all DSLR's right? No problem for a Canon or an Olympus, right? So why hype about the K-5/K-7 "getting it first".

Although at first glance the idea looks interesting but on a deeper look there are as many downsides as upsides to this gadget. Many were noted like the fact it negates the use of a grip for vertical shooting, the price which IMHO is ridiculous etc.

Another issue might be the little screw-in legs coming off and getting lost but the biggie to me is zooming: with most of my lenses, I hold the camera with my right hand while the left reaches underneath the camera for the zoomring with my fingers on the zoomring and the camera stabilized by the fleshy part of the hand, near the wrist - a natural beanbag if you will.

This will become entitely impossible and i can't really see how you'd be able to manipulate the zoomlens AND keep a stabile grip on the camera to avoid shake. What would you do? Reach OVER the camera and grip the zoomring from above?

No, sorry, no dice! This was an intentionally misleading hype from the get-go and Yvon's response is below par.
03-14-2011, 06:25 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Don't be too harsh on Yvon. Note that he didn't create the hype as such, he just wrote an overly enthousiast series of posts on his blog.

It is a great idea behind this product, but the initial price is too much indeed. I'm sure this price is intended to cover the start up costs, but perhaps it's not such a good idea to try to run break even from the start, thus hindering the chances of the product selling well because of a too high price?

As with several first generation products it does seem to suffer some design flaws (hindering hand movement when left mounted, no vertical orientation stabilisation, uncomfortable vertical grip when hand held, weight, only for cameras with grip mounted, ...), and it doesn't seem to offer that much added value instead. But I'm sure Yvon will benefit from feedback from the first users and next generations might yield versions that may be more versatile and more compact?

Until a more mature thought out product hits the shelves I'm sticking to my trusted bean bag that will match any irregular surface.

But I'm keeping an eye on Yvon's work in any case!! I have a feeling something may develop out of this that may be of use to me too.

Wim
03-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #41
Site Supporter

Thanks Yvon for your contributions to the Pentax experience. For all the talking that is done on the forum about what's good and bad about Pentax, I greatly respect that you are actually out creating things that can be used by photographers (whether its the books, focusing chart, or the stabilizer.) Of course people will decide to either like or not like any product (and everybody is completely entitled to their opinion) but I admire your entrepreneurial spirit.

I wish you the best of luck with all your current and future products!
03-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
I just want to know why everyone seems to be mad at the guy? It seems like he just had an idea, produced it, and tried to market it?
It's in how you go about telling others of your work. Your product will need to be able to meet or exceed your words, otherwise there will be backlash of people calling you out.

1. Hyping the product without releasing anything about what it does to quell rabid speculation.
2. Releasing something that does not change the basic functionality of the camera, yet call it a game changer.
3. Trying to defend yourself by saying you offer free stuff to thousands of people. That has nothing to do with your new product you are trying to sell. Your product should be able to stand on its own without trying to convince people it is good.

Don't get me wrong though. It looks like a quality piece of kit, I'm just talking about marketing.

I guess in this case though, bad marketing is good marketing. If he had only just released info about the bracket on his site (eg. a press release with pictures and such), would it have generated as much talk about it? Probably not...

QuoteOriginally posted by scole Quote
This is what happens when you lead up to your announcement by saying that it will be "revolutionary". That's a hard reality to live up to and most people aren't believing that it is revolutionary. The high pricepoint is also another factor in everyone's reaction.
I don't think the price was the issue, but i do agree with you in the words used for marketing.

QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
"Something new is coming. DSLRs will never be the same..."These are the words you should not write. It's just a lie.
Exactly...
03-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #43
Site Supporter

Yeah, I thought it was a bit harsh...

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's hilarious! There's a reason tele's have tripod mounts
QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
Adam
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That's hilarious! There's a reason tele's have tripod mounts

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/136428-digital-slr-cam...#ixzz1GKtAHyAo

Adam, as administrator and webmaster of this site, I never would have thought you would make such comment. Shame on you. Success comes and success goes. If you get too big for your britches, you success might be taken away from you. As the head of PentaxForums.com, you should be neutral.

I'm sorry to realise that you are judgemental. And to think that I even am your site supporter.
It's a handy little gizmo, with a handgrip, which I have sorely missed since my PZ-1 days. My only complaint might be the added weight, and from the looks of it, they could make it thinner. But it seems to be a beautifully made product, and I hope as a fellow Pentaxian that he does well with it.

Would have thought Adam would be a little more supportive especially in light of the product maker's recent personal tragedy.

Not nice.

Cameron
03-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #44
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Hear hear! I fully agree. Yvon has self-inflicted a lot of harm by hyping up the expectations to that effect.
Without hyperbole, there'd be no advertising

We are Pentaxians, all to well aware of that effect.

Cut the guy some slack. You don't have to buy it.
03-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Would have thought Adam would be a little more supportive especially in light of the product maker's recent personal tragedy.
Don't make this personal, don't make this about Yvon. This is about a product that in the opinion of several people (myself included) does not live up to it's promises of grandeur.

If you wish to defend the man, defend his advertising, because nobody is attacking his late mother.
Closed Thread