Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scole Quote
This is what happens when you lead up to your announcement by saying that it will be "revolutionary". That's a hard reality to live up to and most people aren't believing that it is revolutionary. The high pricepoint is also another factor in everyone's reaction.

Right or wrong, it is what it is.
QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
Don't make this personal, don't make this about Yvon. This is about a product that in the opinion of several people (myself included) does not live up to it's promises of grandeur.

If you wish to defend the man, defend his advertising, because nobody is attacking his late mother.
Very much like the Pentax Hype surrounding the release of the K20D.

03-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Many of you sound like a bunch of dicks. Let's laugh at someone who tried to solve a problem and brought a product to market. Someone who's contributed on the forum and has written good books on Pentax DSLRs. Whether or not one can fabricate something similar out of scrap metal isn't the point.
03-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
Many of you sound like a bunch of dicks. Let's laugh at someone who tried to solve a problem and brought a product to market. Someone who's contributed on the forum and has written good books on Pentax DSLRs. Whether or not one can fabricate something similar out of scrap metal isn't the point.
Right, it's not the point.

Time to close thread, mods.
03-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #49
Forum Member

I think the concept is very interesting, and it probably work. However, I think the price point is a bit high for an accessory like that.

03-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Like i said... golden rule... If you don't have something nice to say... why say anything?

.... Now if he were a Nikon user, I'd be all over him too lol
03-15-2011, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
Think about it this way.

Let's say Yvon came out without the prolonged pre-release advertising, and said "Hey, I'm working on a product right now that can solve some peoples problems - just need to add some final touches" and then simply announced it when it was complete - explaining why he created it, what it does and how people can benefit from it.

What would the reactions be?

"Oh, that's pretty good, I can see how it can solve those problems you mentioned"
"I like it, although it is a bit expensive. It would be something I would consider purchasing if it was cheaper"

BUT

The reality is. He posted a few blog posts stating that something big was coming and that it is a game-changer.

The use of such hyperbole has (rightfully) stolen the limelight for a product that solves problems that some people might encounter and might wish to be resolved.

Consequently, the general response is
"That's not revolutionary"
"How does this change anything for the Pentax brand?"

SO

If the marketing approach in the first place was to focus on the merits of the product rather than inconsequential hyperbole then things would probably be better.

In fact, it's probably not too late for Yvon to do this. Push the product for what it does and what it can bring to a person who uses it, and it will probably spread by word of mouth in a good light, rather than a poor/bad one.

The perception people have of this product has no real relation to whether or not the creator writes helpful books or helped on the forums. Anyone can be a good person but make a bad decision in something that will unfortunately result in a backlash.

Bad criticism should never be censored in favour of good criticism, otherwise people will never learn and improve - and this is something we should all know given the nature of photography.
03-15-2011, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

Yes but I think if someone here posted a picture and stated "its one of the best pictures I have ever taken, I think this changes how people feel about photography" and it turned it to just be a picture of a water droplet or something, I highly doubt anyone would critique the photo as much as you all have critiqued his design. He may feel the photo is revolutionary, but others don't.

I didnt think yvon boosted his product as much as others took the reigns and did it for him. "game changer" he may of said, but its everyone else who's imagination went wild, and then they were disappointed with reality.

Just reminds me of when your mom would hype up a christmas present, we would get all excited, and it would be a sweater. She didn't deceive us, she just had a different take on what a great present was.

To him (and others), it is a game changer. To some its nothing new.

Agree to disagree

03-15-2011, 06:07 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Beat to death... Thread Closed!
Closed Thread