Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DSLR stabilzer

Well, it's finally out:

PENTAX DSLRs

I gotta say, I'm completely underwhelmed by this. It doesn't work well without the grip?
And $150??

A gorillapod does the same thing, and is vastly more configurable. So does a beanbag with tripod mount. My b-grip has an attachment that pops out and keeps the camera lens from tipping over. It's cool that it is aluminum and you don't have to remove it when putting the camera on a tripod, but with all the hype, I expected something truly revolutionary. This is not it, IMO.

03-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That's hilarious! There's a reason tele's have tripod mounts

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Wow. Noting revolutionary here at all but I thought that maybe I could see a few people finding a use for it ............. until I seen the price. LOL
03-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I actually like it. I think it's great in the sense that you can eliminate the need for a tripod in most situations and it is one less thing to carry on you! No need to disassemble it after use, no need to pull out a bag or have a makeshift bean bag. Just put it in bag when you're done. I like it, a bubble level is a nice touch too!

03-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
Forum Member

It's not a bad idea and I'm sure it will work for some folks if they don't mind the price.
I won't buy one though, and more importantly even though I have the tools I probably won't make one for myself!

Vic.
03-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #6

Original Poster
How does this eliminate a tripod in most situations? The whole idea of a tripod is that it's at eye-level and can be set up anywhere.
03-11-2011, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Winning!

03-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #8

That's an idea, but not worth the hype or $149.00. Move that decimal point to the left.
03-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I think its a good idea and look forward to buying one.

When the Chinese Ebay sellers start knocking them out at 19.99 each (incl postage).
03-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #10

Wow...wasn't worth all the excitment. Actually doesn't seem very useful at all. When using a long telelens you're not gonna want it hanging from your body like that anyway, you want the body hanging on to your lens.

With smaller (tele)lenses a gorillapod does the same job and is a lot more versatile! The small adjustable legs seem to be way to small to adjust it to even slightly uneven surfaces. The argument of the ability to leave it on at all times, is a bit silly I think. I mean it seems to be quite a chunky device that easily gets in the way when trying to put your camera in a bag for instance. That seems pretty difficult with the thing sticking out.

It would've been more useful if the stabilizer sort of folded out from underneath the body. Adding just a thin 3 to 4mm layer to the body with the ability to pop out a handy stabilizer when for example storing your camera when not in use, because I do agree that it is not very nice to store it while leaning heavily on the lens, causing stress on the barrel etc.

But even then... 150$!!! I mean I understand that it's aluminum and that the small quantities don't make it cheap. But for the foldable version I would pay 25$ max and would prefer paying 10$ for a rugged plastic version. Hell I can make a simple version myself out of aluminum for 25$. Take a piece, drill a hole, done.

Well anyway, good job on the marketing hype! Hope the hype helps him to sell the thing, because you sure need a lot of people looking at this to sell even 1. Good thing his costs probably aren't that high since they are made per piece I guess.
03-11-2011, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Adam
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/136428-digital-slr-cam...#ixzz1GKtAHyAo

Adam, as administrator and webmaster of this site, I never would have thought you would make such comment. Shame on you. Success comes and success goes. If you get too big for your britches, you success might be taken away from you. As the head of PentaxForums.com, you should be neutral.

I'm sorry to realise that you are judgemental. And to think that I even am your site supporter.
03-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I think its a good idea and look forward to buying one.

When the Chinese Ebay sellers start knocking them out at 19.99 each (incl postage).
Nicely put Mike.... Should have put a few more line returns in between though
03-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
Adam
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/136428-digital-slr-cam...#ixzz1GKtAHyAo

Adam, as administrator and webmaster of this site, I never would have thought you would make such comment. Shame on you. Success comes and success goes. If you get too big for your britches, you success might be taken away from you. As the head of PentaxForums.com, you should be neutral.

I'm sorry to realise that you are judgemental. And to think that I even am your site supporter.

Disagree.

Adam speaks for Adam. The forum is just a forum, a container and facility for discussion, and as such isn't an entity that can actually hold a view.

I run my own forum and I'm very vocal in my own opinion on it. People who frequent my forum know they can vehemently disagree with me without fear of being discrimanated against moderation wise. I would expect and respect the same here.
03-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

And regarding the underwhelming product ..... I keep a manfrotto RC2 QR plate permanently on all my cams. I use them as a base protector as I am always placing the camera on a solid surface to take long exposures ( even upto 10 seconds )without camera shake.
03-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #15
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
Winning!
haha +1
Closed Thread