Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2011, 05:36 AM   #1
Banned

Japan Photo Industry Affected by Earthquake and Tsunami

QuoteQuote:
Hoya Corporation, which owns Pentax, reports that several employees were slightly injured but none seriously. Some production facilities were damaged, although the company is still trying to assess. It isn't known how the camera and lens facilities have been effeccted but due to traffic problems and blackouts, production has been disrupted.

UPDATED: Japan Photo Industry Affected by Earthquake and Tsunami from Adorama Learning Center

03-17-2011, 05:50 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i had read about most of this on a blog a couple of days back. looks like Nikon and canon are the most severely affected (all the best Nikon FF are now out of production until a solution is found - Canon has shut a big L lens plant) Canon of course has multiple businesses so overall it will be ok. For Nikon this is one of the bigger profit generators. Pentax (hoya) apparently it has no photographic impact but the eyeglass and medical divisions are impacted
Too bad about the x100 plant that was poised to be huge this spring.
Panasonic its the p/s plant so volume will suffer
Sony the plants were not photographic but Blu ray and CD plants from what i had read
It's going to be a long road for all the industries to get back if they were based in the north
03-17-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What I have yet to read in these reports is how the producers of components are affected. E.g. the companies who make the LCD screens, the chips, etc. Pentax's plants may well by in Vietnam where they are physically unaffected, but if they can't get components, they can't produce anything...
03-17-2011, 06:27 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

apparently Toshiba had a chip plant shut. You are right though the components for the process could well be affected as well. Mind you many components are also now made in other countries (china makes a large number of parts for various camera manufacturers, for instance i believe the Canon camera bodies are made in china for almost all models. Nikon's plant in Sendai is quite old now having been the plant for their high end going well back into film days (and still makes the F6)

03-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

In business terms, my fear is that "most" of the components is not enough.

The Plantagenet dynasty's 330-year history ended at Bosworth Field for the want of a nail, or at least a horse.

OTOH, some say that Richard III wasn't all that pleasant a chap, anyway.
03-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Since most of the island of Honshu, which is Japan's largest and includes the main devastation zone as well as Tokyo is expected to experience rolling blackouts and travel disruption for the next while, I imagine that most electronics output from that country will have at least temporary periods of shortage.

Also, although the plants themselves may still be running, the companies will still be experience considerable disruptions as so much of their country's focus will be on helping the stricken populations and locations. i expect that we will see some new model rollouts delayed or even cancelled, as well as shortages of parts and some cameras. As Japan is the leading camera producing nation, the whole industry will be impacted.
03-19-2011, 07:55 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

the X100 plant closure has already affected price christ they are going for $2200+ on ebay. I want one, but i can wait for Fuji to get back on track, i'd rather see them get the cash than an opportunist (Mind you if I already had one I'd be sorely tempted to sell it at these prices)

fuji x100 items - Get great deals on Digital Cameras, Neck Strap items on eBay.com!
03-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the X100 plant closure has already affected price christ they are going for $2200+ on ebay. I want one, but i can wait for Fuji to get back on track, i'd rather see them get the cash than an opportunist (Mind you if I already had one I'd be sorely tempted to sell it at these prices)

fuji x100 items - Get great deals on Digital Cameras, Neck Strap items on eBay.com!
Why wait? Adorama has them in stock so anyone (in NA) who buys at an inflated Ebay price deserves to be parted with their money. Many of those on Ebay have no bids even at $1300 so I think some people panicked and got caught up in it and are probably sorry they bid so high.

X100, 16g card, extra battery, camera case, card case, and card reader.....$1253.09
IFJX100KA Fujifilm Finepix X100 Digital Camera Kit, with 8GB SD Memory Card, Spare NP-95 Lithium-Ion Type Battery, Camera Case, USB 2.0 SD Card Reader

03-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Adorama says not in stock yet for all of its X100 listings. Still, that doesn't change anything in terms of price-gougers on EBay. Anyone who simply must have an X100 now regardless of cost will get what he or she deserves.
03-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Adorama says not in stock yet for all of its X100 listings. Still, that doesn't change anything in terms of price-gougers on EBay. Anyone who simply must have an X100 now regardless of cost will get what he or she deserves.
Yup, in circumstances like this, no one can be gouged against their will. This is not emergency heart surgery.

Let's say that I paid USD $1,599 + $530 for K-5 plus 18-135 WR because I wanted them for Christmas. Supply was limited and demand (including mine) was high. Paid full MSRP. Plus state sales tax because it's required when using a local dealer.

Now I could negotiate a much better deal.

Did I get gouged?

Last edited by glanglois; 03-20-2011 at 05:40 PM.
03-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Production capacity in Japan for lithium ion batteries has been affected by the calamity. This will definitely affect mobile phones, cameras, tablets, laptops and I've been told the worldwide launch of the iPad2. So perhaps time to stock up on extra camera batteries and Eneloops.
03-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Eneloops last at least 2 years, no need to stock on this
03-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Very tragic things happened in Japan, but I hope they will soon recover. As I read in one article, just a few companies have been hit hard, but that doesn't make this less tragic.
03-22-2011, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #14
Inactive Account

Very tragic and sad for the people. My heart goes out to them..
But the reality is. This will be the opportunity to update the older plants and install state of the art machinery, And redesigning the ageing plans. The end result will be a stronger Japan. If I had to guess the heads of the companys are already planning a comeback. With new facilitys and new products of unequaled quality. With stream lined plants for greater profits.
Do I feel for the owners of the plants. NO

Do i feel for the people. YES and already donated.
03-22-2011, 04:57 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

You are right about the opportunity for the companies Gary. Though i would guess this means the final end for the Nikon F6 which was the last pro film SLR in production. I can't imagine them retooling for that.
It's the people who really need our help, and I too have donated.