Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2007, 07:45 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Let's speculate a bit more: next cameras

If I read well enough there more than one camera coming soon. As I suspect we should not expect 3 of'em and that those are most probably replacement to K10D and K100D (that's the most conservative assumption we can make IMO).

What do you think will come into those cameras. I mean be realistic. I don't wanna know what you want, we all already expressed that I think but we could really see in them.

Let's write
  • "K20D" (or whatever name):
  1. this
  2. this
  3. and that
  • "K200D" (or whatever name):
  1. this
  2. this
  3. and that

C'mon... who begins?

Richard, Benjikan and all who know at least something substencial I am sorry but you are not allowed to play that game

10-23-2007, 08:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No full-frame sensor from Pentax for a long while so, just remove that hope right now. Not in a digital/35mm format at least.

The only chance for a larger sensor from Pentax is in the 645D.
10-23-2007, 09:22 AM   #3
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
No full-frame sensor from Pentax for a long while so, just remove that hope right now. Not in a digital/35mm format at least.

The only chance for a larger sensor from Pentax is in the 645D.
relax, that was not the question. the question was what you relistically think will be in the next bodies, you are saying something about FF, you mean you think FF will be in the coming bodies?  cool, that would be great 
10-23-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That was not the question indeed so I will show the example...

K20D:
  • 12Mpix Kodak/Fuji sensor (APS-C or near)
  • 4 fps
  • Integrated flash which allow more flexibility for wireless and can do HSS
  • 1/4000s shutter, 1/200 X-synch or more (electronic shutter?)
  • no VPN ;-)
  • Really usefull battery indicator
  • SR of course (better one)

K200D:
  • 10Mpix sensor (Sony?)
  • 2fps
  • K100D shutter (1/4000, 1/180 X-sync)
  • VPN?
  • Optional Battery grip/vertical release
  • Bigger buffer than K100D
  • SR too of course (better one)
  • Li-ion batteries

Seems reasonable IMO.

10-23-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
That was not the question indeed so I will show the example...

K20D:
  • 14Mpix Pentax designed cmos sensor manufactured by ? (APS-C or very slightly bigger)
  • 4.5 fps
  • Integrated flash which allow more flexibility for wireless and can do HSS
  • 1/8000s shutter, 1/250 X-synch or I am going to Tokyo to beat the crap outta 'em (no current cmos sensor has electronic shutter? then this one wont have it either)
  • VPN as usual if you take an iso 1600 shot in total darkness and push it 2 stops in pp ;-)
  • Really not that usefull battery indicator
  • SR of course (but not a better one)

K200D:
  • 10Mpix sensor (Sony!?)
  • 3fps
  • K100D shutter (1/4000, 1/180 X-sync)
  • VPN!
  • No optional Battery grip/vertical release
  • Bigger buffer than K100D
  • SR too of course (the better one thats in the k10d now)
  • A better Li-ion battery solution that will make a lot of people who love aa powered slow lo-voltage af systems cry

Seems reasonable IMO.
but then again with the current rumors taken into account, its really impossible to say how the k10d replacement will turn out. I really have no idea. I just know a lot of things I would want but at this stage I dont think I would be able to say anything for sure. if the rumors abouta different sensor than sony had not been around then i would expect something between the d300 and a700 with sr and weather sealing and some other tweaks. but now anything can happen.....
10-23-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, I might as well join in the fun of idle speculation...

I will remind you that I have not ever signed an NDA with Pentax or any of its partners

K1000D (the photography class model - a K1000/MZ-5 for the 21st century)
  • 10mp APS-C
  • No top LCD
  • Lightweight plastic body
  • shutter speed knob on top of body and single control wheel for aperture, or dual control wheels
  • No knob for choosing "program" etc. - simply move the control wheels or shutter knob to go to AV/TV/metered manual
  • No built-in flash

K100D Super* (because you can never have enough suffixes or unpronouncable elements in your names - this one at least is pronounce "superstar")
  • Bump sensor to 10mp

K10D Super*
  • Bump to 12+ mp

K2D
  • full frame
  • pentaprism

Everything else is academic -- a little faster frame rate, a little bigger buffer, higher MP, blah, blah.

To me the key items are these:

Pentax HAD a fullframe DSLR (the MZ-D.) They simply chose not to release it because of the IQ issues. Contax released their camera, and look where it got them...

I don't think you build one fullframe camera and then change your mind that you'll never build another. Pentax hasn't made any big noises about frame size (unlike the 4/3 crew, who try to make their sensor size choice into a plus.)

Pentax continue to list a full slate of FA and FA-J lenses on their website, long after the last 35mm SLR disappeared. Just because you can't buy them in a store doesn't mean that Pentax has thrown in the towel. These designs are current and ready to go... given the need... (like a FF DSLR.)

FF is no longer an exotic non-reality. Pentax could buy off-the-shelf from Sony, from Kodak. So why not? Just to spite your customers? Not every customer will want it -- that's fine, even Nikon know that. Those who do want FF will pay a premium.

Finally, as for the "pentaprism" comment, what I mean is that I expect a new FF DSLR to follow the design cues of the 50th anniversary model that Pentax showed earlier this year. The pentaprism housing is stylish and distinctive -- a perfect way to stand out in a crowd. It's a visual reminder of Pentax's history of innovation. It's old and modern all at once, and would look perfectly at home beside a Spotmatic F, an LX, and a K10D.

(If you think I'm just baiting for a fight with my full-frame comments, I will let you know that full-frame (and 35mm) compatibility is part of what pushed me to buy a Sigma 24-135 instead of a comparable DA/DC lens... I won't be selling my fullframe glass for DA anytime soon.)
10-23-2007, 03:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

my guesses

not that I have any knowledge of any equipment coming out - I'm just purely speculating, not that I have the money to get another body right now anyhow - or a lens for that matter...

"K20D" (or whatever name):

15-16 MP sensor
6fps burst rate

"K200D" (or whatever name):

10mp sensor
3 fps

*prays to the gods of overtime this christmas season*

10-24-2007, 12:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

K200D:
10Mp Sony CCD
Li-Ion batteries

K20D
12 Mp Sony CMOS
5 fps
Live view

K2D
19MP 22x30mm Kodak CCD with SR
5fps

Last edited by eurostar; 10-24-2007 at 12:51 AM.
10-24-2007, 03:29 AM   #9
Inactive Account

id like to see 6fps, but i doubt that will happen.... im guessing 12mp... but then again it may be higher.... some say as much as 14mp... id like to less noise for low light shooting. my wish list is pretty much the same as most folks who currently have the k10d.
10-24-2007, 03:45 AM   #10
wll
Veteran Member

K20D:

14Mpix Pentax designed sensor

~5 fps

Wireless flash, maybe a Pocket Wizzard built in :-)

1/4000s shutter, 1/250 X-synch or better (very important) IMHO

Movable Live View LCD - Something that would help me a lot for studio stuff - come on Pentax !

Good high iso images (3200) or + for concert shooting.

Better SR, if that is possible

Much better auto focusing in low contrast situations would also be nice :-)

wll
10-24-2007, 10:34 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I don't think they're going to touch the K10D. It's way too nice and bringing in another model that is a little more up to date will allow the prices of the K10D to continue to go down. I've noticed a lot more people taking an interest in the camera since it is in the same price range as the XTi and D40X (while completely blowing those cameras away in the features category.)

So the new camera will be as follows

14 MP CMOS

5 fps frame rate

no live view (I just don't see the real value in this) Pentax should release a 10 MP aps-c point and shoot for people who want live view. It's just not SLR photography without using the viewfinder.

Magnesium body

3 inch LCD screen (again nothing fancy just a bigger one than the K10D has)

all the same shooting modes as the K10D (which I think are a godsend) who buys this type of camera to shoot it in sports mode etc. Well not a Pentax shooter, that's for Nikon and Canon snobs who know nothing about photography but want an expensive camera.

And panning support for SR

SLC
10-24-2007, 11:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The most likely improvements the K20D will have are things already being done by other manufacturers. The dpreview of the Canon 40D list the improvements that will be incorporated into the Pentax.

Wide range of image parameter adjustment (-4 to +4 for most)
Live view on LCD with 5x and 10x live magnification and 'drop mirror' auto-focus
Just over six frames per second continuous shooting, although high shutter speeds required
Good nine point auto focus system, works well even in low light
Slightly larger viewfinder, optional focusing screens
Quieter mirror mechanism, very quiet in live view (3 silent shooting options)
Quick magnification up to 10x (perfect for checking focus), easier panning (joystick)
Three user memories via 'C1/C2/C3' on mode dial.

Over and above those features I'm expecting.

Ability to adjust front/back focus on up to 10 lenses.
Better high ISO than the K10D by 2 stops.

The sensor could be anywhere from 10MP to 14MP. I think the market for an upgrade to the k10D doesn't care what the sensor size is as long as the above features are there. The price? MSRP will be $1,200 and within 6 months the street price will be just under $1,000.

regards,
Ken
10-24-2007, 11:32 AM   #13
Forum Member

Bonjour,

I'm not playing with models but with technologies that could be packed on future models.

In present cameras and SDM lenses, there are 2 motors for focusing, one in the camera and one in the lens. In order to push lenses with SDM, the next camera could have no internal focus motor.

Since SDM lenses are more expensive, total cost for body + lens should stay at the same level as at today, before lower-priced or entry-level SDM lenses appear.

Liveview could be the next big thing, with or without an optical view-finder. Flippable screen is great.

Improved built-in image processing (with less soft pictures).

Higher ISO, higher speed.

Higher resolution: 6 Mpixels sensor seem short now! and 10 Mpixels are out-paced by 12 Mpixels.

Improved software and remote assistant.

[ADDED]
Full wireless control.
USB port suitable to save pictures from SD card to external USB drive.

Last edited by rei_vilo; 10-26-2007 at 08:01 AM.
10-24-2007, 01:07 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rei_vilo Quote
In present cameras and SDM lenses, there are 2 motors for focusing, one in the camera and one in the lens. In order to push lenses with SDM, the next camera could have no internal focus motor.
IMO they won't commit the same mistake as Nikon. That really would not be at all in Pentax line of compatibility. Why make DA* with dual AF and do this just after. Makes no sense.
10-24-2007, 03:09 PM   #15
Pentaxian

A camera that can autofocus with only 2 lenses - that's a good ideea. Not.