03-22-2011, 01:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-x - Best entry-level digital SLR camera @ ConsumerSearch.com

ConsumerSearch.com pick of Digital SLR Cameras

Best entry-level digital SLR camera -

Pentax K-x (link to review)

ConsumerSearch.com
claims to review the reviews -
ie: survey the available reviews, rate them and come to some consensus.
What I would do logically if I had the resources and time.

So the picks are not based on just a single review.

But in this review I noted:

" Low-light performance is a letdown too. "

considering it is one of the very best performers at High ISO I wonder where they got that from?
Possibly PopPhoto.com where their High ISO rating in their summary test panel was not that good for the K-x - yet sites like dpReview, Imaging-Resource.com (neither even mentioned for the K-x) all rate the K-x High ISO performance.

BUT Pentax K-x review at PopPhoto.com actually said:

" But at its highest ISOs, the K-x shined: At ISO 800 through 1600 (the Canon’s highest sensitivity), the Pentax edged ahead of the Nikon. While they both got Unacceptable ratings at ISO 3200, the Pentax showed significantly less noise (3.2) than the Nikon (5.5). And at ISO 6400—a sensitivity the Nikon doesn’t reach—it still did better than the D3000 did at ISO 3200. "

If one looks at Popular Photography's test panel for the K-r (currently only in the paper magazine) it appears to be substantially "improved" at High ISO over the K-x (see reproductions below) -
yet just about all the test images I have seen put the K-x and K-r were very close -
if anything I think the K-x may be slightly better -
but others disagree -
which only goes to prove they are close..........

Pentax K-r

PopPhoto.com K-x test panel:

Last edited by UnknownVT; 03-22-2011 at 09:08 AM.
03-22-2011, 01:38 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice, but in comparison to the most modern of cameras of course the high ISO performance of the K-x is a let down. Still does a good job for me to ISO 3200 if exposed well.
03-22-2011, 01:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I don't trust popphoto for ISO results, these suggest K-r is a stop better than the K-x which doesn't match any other results I've seen. They also tested the K-5 and found it no better than a K-7 in ISO performance, a ridiculous result.

For ISO performance DXOmark is the "truth", not pophoto
03-22-2011, 04:17 AM   #4
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I don't trust popphoto for ISO results... They also tested the K-5 and found it no better than a K-7 in ISO performance, a ridiculous result.
Oh cut them some slack, the K7 and K5 look so much alike it's easy to be confused.

03-22-2011, 07:31 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Nice, but in comparison to the most modern of cameras of course the high ISO performance of the K-x is a let down. Still does a good job for me to ISO 3200 if exposed well.
Agreed, sort of. Looking at DXOmark, while the K-x is still pretty high in the rankings considering it's age, compared to other sub-$1000 cameras available today, there are indeed some better choices for Sports / Low-Light ISO based on DXOmarks rating (expressed as an ISO number). The difference is marginal though, not really enough to be considered a "let-down" IMHO.

Sony Alpha 580: 1121
Nikon D3100: 919
Nikon D5000: 868
Sony NEX-3: 830, Sony Alpha 560: 817, Sony a55: 816, Pentax k-x: 811
03-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Interesting take
I have been using the K-x since Nov/2009 and have done a lot of very low light work in a dark jazz club with some parts in the club below the metering and AF limits - I shoot with Auto ISO top limit of ISO5000 -

Now I am not claiming those mostly ISO5000 shots are noise free -
but they look more than acceptable to me,
unless I have to brighten an underexposed shot too much -
then a simple pass through NR will make them OK again.

The most recent photos I posted here from that club was Post #153 (link) and the first set I posted was in Post #5 (12/26/2009) in thread:
Kx in Use ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

Since I use that K-x extensively for low light work
(I now have posted so many photos from that venue that I had to start a second album
- Pure Soundz and Pure Soundz pt.2)
I have been very interested in seeing any improvements in HighISO performance with the newer generation dSLRs - which obviously includes the K-5, K-r, Nikon D7000, D3100, Sony A580 - where there are test sample images at Imaging-Resource.com I compared/scrutinized at ISO6400 and ISO12800 to see if I could see any significant improvement -
caveat - these are obviously JPGs and I used the default setting versions -
and it's not that I could not see any difference and some comparisons were harder to do since they could not be 1:1 - but to me there was not a significant improvement in HighISO performance to warrant me doing any upgrading.

The most significant for me was the K-r comparison as I already mentioned they were really close (perhaps not surprising since they are based on similar sensors) - I thought some K-x images may have been slightly better - others disagreed - which only goes to prove they are so close to be virtually inseparable -
so where is the HighISO improvement on the new generation to make the K-x a "let down"?

I think ConsumerSearch.com merely made a mistake in quoting the wrong source - whereas other equally reputable and thorough reviews regard the K-x as one of best performers at HighISO -

dpReview on K-x:
" Class-leading image quality in low light, very good retention of fine detail at high ISOs "

Imaging-Resource.com on the K-x:
" High ISO. Equally useful in the same setting was the 12.4-megapixel Pentax K-x's high ISO capability, which noticeably outshines that of the more expensive Pentax K-7. In general usage, I find the K-7's 14.6-megapixel sensor to be too noisy above ISO 3,200, and tend to reserve higher sensitivities for when there's no alternative. See the samples below.
With the Pentax K-x, I found I could get acceptable results at ISO 6,400, especially if shooting RAW and applying some noise processing in Photoshop. At lower sensitivities, what noise is apparent isn't really any more obtrusive than film grain, and I found myself using ISO 3,200 with surprising regularity during my time with the Pentax K-x. Having a usable high sensitivity is great for avoiding the use of flash, and yields much more natural looking shots.
"

dcResource.com on the K-x:
" Very good photo quality, with good high ISO performance "

Can a camera that gathers this much on low light performance all of a sudden become a "let down" even when compared to a newer generation?

Last edited by UnknownVT; 03-22-2011 at 11:23 AM.
03-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Isn't the review kinda late considering that the K-x has already been discontinued and superceded by the newer K-r?
03-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Isn't the review kinda late considering that the K-x has already been discontinued and superceded by the newer K-r?
sorry - yes, I am late - I had only just come across the review -
the survey/review was: " Updated October 2010"

But it is still nice to see Pentax get the credit they deserve -
the Pentax K-x is still an outstanding camera
despite being now discontinued -
and it is still currently very much available
at real bargain prices too.

Surely not everything needs always to be the newest/latest -

Last edited by UnknownVT; 03-24-2011 at 08:21 AM.
03-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have been saying this ever since I first used my Kx over a year ago. Still say it today, even with the Kr out.