Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2007, 07:00 AM   #106
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
I have been a Pentax SLR users since 1988, and since then - Pentax has been declared as "dying" at least every year. In the early 90's, Pentax was said to prepare for killing the SLR line and going strictly with the highly successful Espio range. The success of the MZ-serie changed that, if the MZ-serie had been a flop - Pentax SLR would be no longer. Pentax has had many years with uncertain future, they have "lived on borrowed time" for the last 10 years, and they still haven't died. It is just like Apple who was declared as knocked out in the middle of the 90's, but raised at the count of 10 and now is a highly successful company. As a Pentax user, I have learned to live with "Pentax will die!".
To my observation the early 90's were pentax's darkest years. They moved away from
the widely respected Super Program and allowed the LX to become obsolete while stumbling
at the adoption of auto focus. Worse they produced a series of bodies that were ugly plastic. they finally got it right with the MZ/Zx series and got an attractive body with autofocus and life has been good since then

11-03-2007, 07:06 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Agreed except for the Oly blind alley comment. They might be able to carve out a reasonable niche market with the E-510 type camera.
Possibly, but none of the dealers I speak to in the UK sell many - the lenses are way too expensive.

QuoteQuote:
Lowering costs is the biggest advantage Pentax has for the near future. The change from being a company that had suppliers wondering if they were going to be paid to one that is backed by Hoya should drop cost of purchased parts by a considerable amount.
Close integration with Hoya has many potential benefits for sure. And since Hoya dont have a camera division of their own, there is no dilution of brand or brand ethos (compare Konika Minolta).

QuoteQuote:
True, and you have the added advantage you don't have to put up with Bush for another year.
regards,
Ken
Hell we just got rid of Tony B Liar and now we have Gordon MuckBrown. I swear I will never ever vote for anyone whose name begins with B!
11-03-2007, 07:54 AM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
I have been a Pentax SLR users since 1988, and since then - Pentax has been declared as "dying" at least every year. In the early 90's, Pentax was said to prepare for killing the SLR line and going strictly with the highly successful Espio range. The success of the MZ-serie changed that, if the MZ-serie had been a flop - Pentax SLR would be no longer. Pentax has had many years with uncertain future, they have "lived on borrowed time" for the last 10 years, and they still haven't died. It is just like Apple who was declared as knocked out in the middle of the 90's, but raised at the count of 10 and now is a highly successful company. As a Pentax user, I have learned to live with "Pentax will die!".
Yes but this does pose a larger risk now because Old Pentax was.. errr.. old and stubborn and "traditional". They went back to the drawing board and tried again. Call it pride, history whatever. Profit and logic didn't seem to keep them coming back to the well so to speak. Pride history and maybe a tad of despiration did. Things ARE completely different now. HOYA has no camera history, they have no love for it, just read everything they ever said about it..... not good. If Hoya owned Pentax at an earlier date, they would NOT have put up w/ the
past success/failure cycles.. Conjecture of course. They may have been a business but they were also Asahi in heart and soul.... sounds silly typing that.
They will be delisted, they are dead. Just a fact. What becomes of HOYA (branded Pentax) cameras is yet to be seen....but one thing SEEMS clear, this is there (as a whole unit) last harrah. HOYA shareholders (who never bought a camera company) will not stand for failure and Hoya shares currently tanking a bit are going to make them even a bit more skiddish...
I love your optimism, just I (big I) don't currently (subject to change) see it that way.....
11-03-2007, 09:32 AM   #109
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sure, Nikon has been bought years ago and they are very very dead right now.
This is BS.

Pentax has done many great things but they also failed miserably in other areas. Their Z-serie cameras ceren'tr bad at all. Z1 was a very good camera. They only made little brother cameras from the same model.. Z20, Z50, Z70 (wow 20+50=70, what a nice numbering scheme, talk about buyer confusion).. MZ-serie, great serie isn't it? Especially MZ30-50-60 and particuliarily the MZ60 which is total crap not even able to use A-lenses.

Stop that BS. You will know soon enough if Pentax is dead or not.

11-03-2007, 09:10 PM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Sure, Nikon has been bought years ago and they are very very dead right now.
This is BS.

Pentax has done many great things but they also failed miserably in other areas. Their Z-serie cameras ceren'tr bad at all. Z1 was a very good camera. They only made little brother cameras from the same model.. Z20, Z50, Z70 (wow 20+50=70, what a nice numbering scheme, talk about buyer confusion).. MZ-serie, great serie isn't it? Especially MZ30-50-60 and particuliarily the MZ60 which is total crap not even able to use A-lenses.

Stop that BS. You will know soon enough if Pentax is dead or not.
Can you tell me who bought Nikon???
Nikon | Corporate Information | About Nikon | History | Corporate History
And to be perfectly clear.... Pentax products ect are not dead. Pentax as a stand alone public company (or stand alone private company for that matter) sure the heck is... they will not be a subsidary or any other loose "partnership". Can't see any logical arguement to that... They will be delisted and all will be Hoya.
From Roland, who most agree seems to have a tad of inside info.....
The other business units of Pentax are merged into corresponding Hoya divisions, only the Pentax Imaging Business survives as a standalone division/business unit, but under a new name (Hoya Imaging Systems). Hoya will held a product presentation in January where their new DSLR and lenses will be announced, prior to the PMA show.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 11-03-2007 at 09:22 PM.
11-04-2007, 02:29 AM   #111
Veteran Member

http://www.pentax.co.jp/english/news/announce/20071029-02.pdf

" Contents of Business
Following the Merger, based on the common core technological foundation in optics, imaging
and materials, the new company will be able to optimize its business portfolios, focusing on the
life care, optics, information technology, eye care, and imaging systems areas. Expected stable
revenues from the information technology and eye care areas will support the life care area in
achieving strategic growth. In addition, vertical integration in the optics field will lead to
qualitative structural reform and further strengthen competitiveness.
● Life care area (endoscopes, medical accessories, new ceramics, intraocular lenses, etc.)
● Optics area (optical glass and lenses, digital camera modules, micro-lenses, etc.)
● Information technology area (mask blanks, glass disk substrates, etc.)
● Eye care area (eyeglass lenses, contact lenses, etc.)
● Imaging systems area (digital cameras, binoculars, etc.)
● New areas and other areas (printers, surveying instruments, etc.)"

Now, Hoya does not yet have an Imaging systems area / division, it will start when the new financial year starts. Current Pentax Imaging Business will be transferred to the Imaging Systems division, being a separate division (as Mr Ned Bunnel talks about in the official letter from Pentax Imaging US) The lenses and "digical camera modules" gets transferred to the optic-division. Now, I don't know what "digital camera modules"-mean - but my guess is, because it is in the Optics area, that it is optical systems that can be sold as modules for other camera makers. Hp, Casio and others has used lenses from Pentax in their digicams, and this business is probably "digital camera modules".

One thing that seems a bit odd, is that the binoculars are in the Imaging systems and not in the optics. I have no explanation to this...

One thing that I see as a possibility here, and now I'm simply guessing without any substantial evidence, is that Hoya starts to make Hoya lenses - for other cameras than Pentax. That would broaden their output of lenses. Re-branding some Pentax lenses as Hoya and selling in Canon and Nikon mount, and competing with Sigma and Tamron. Not the special, very-Pentax, designs, but some of the more general designs (like the DA 50-200 and 16-45 f/4), and - of course -lowering the price. Also lowering the price of the Pentax-branded lenses. (This should be possible now because of the cost reduction Hoya gets by making the glass and lenses). Well, this may never happen, and Tokina wouldn't like it, but to broaden their market... why not?
Or what about Hoya actually buys Tokina? That would be interresting.
11-04-2007, 03:50 AM   #112
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Indeed, the problem being the relatively big lenses/mount for the type of product if it allows for interchangeable K-mount lenses. But then, the DA 21/40/70 would fit nicely

Oh, and I want no integrated flash but a TTL/PTTL compatible Pentax hot shoe.
This camera would use its own lenses (like a Leica). Pentax would probably make a Zoom and maybe 3 primes.

All small and fast !

wll