Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2007, 01:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was told to stop the nonsense when I said that Pentax needed to stop using Sony sensors two months ago.. I knew I was right but, it's nice to finally hear that announced publicly. There is no way Pentax can lead if it has to follow Sony sensors. They desparately need to stand apart from the competition and, it looks like they will now.

10-26-2007, 03:04 PM   #17

*Isteve thanks for your observations and the sensor comment. I am a Sony boycott person due to DRM and how their stuff "Just Breaks" days out of warranty. If Pentax wants to set their own benchmarks and style, they do have to be different then Sony/Nikon. Good news all around...
10-26-2007, 04:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Nice to read about the possibilities of good things to come from Pentax. Hoping for the best!
10-26-2007, 06:09 PM   #19
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Now where is that small travel body that will use all my old glass? No, I won't hold my breath waiting for it.
I thought that was called the K100D/K110D.

10-26-2007, 08:53 PM   #20

Thanks to Steve and Ben for the exciting news! Sounds like a wonderful and action packed trip. The news about new production times could be huge for Pentax fans!

I was frustrated in my Pentax lust due to unforseen circumstances (don't ask... but I'm much better now! LOL). However, I'm excited that things should be sorted out just in time for the enticing things coming after the new year. Who knows? I may still stick with the original K10D idea since it offers everything I need, and is becoming more affordable with each passing day. Meanwhile, the old glass sits and waits....
10-27-2007, 02:10 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Has Pentax EVER really competed head-to-head with Nikon and Canon, for the top-end market?
What about the Pentax LX? It had professional features - like changeable finders, a sealed and rugged body, and a high price to match. It was used by the swedish nature photographer Mattias Klum on his early travels to Borneo and he got images published in National Geographic.

But the LX was the last really pro-level Pentax, since then Pentax has been strong in the prosumer market with the Z-1(p), the MZ-S and now the K10D. For a decade, pro-level in Pentax words has meant the medium format 645 and 67 systems.
10-27-2007, 10:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Steve, thanks for the heads-up. Good to see the merger's having a positive effect on company morale. It carries over to the rest of us Pentax users.

Looking forward to the new year!

10-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
What about the Pentax LX? It had professional features - like changeable finders, a sealed and rugged body, and a high price to match. It was used by the swedish nature photographer Mattias Klum on his early travels to Borneo and he got images published in National Geographic.

But the LX was the last really pro-level Pentax, since then Pentax has been strong in the prosumer market with the Z-1(p), the MZ-S and now the K10D. For a decade, pro-level in Pentax words has meant the medium format 645 and 67 systems.
I think they will build up their "strong prosumer" image by continuing to differentiate their cameras from mainstream makers and provide unique features, handling and quality levels for that market, just like they have for some time. They will attract the types of pro that dont need big, heavy machine gun cameras but who do need very high quality, robust engineering and image quality in a more convenient package and in the meantime pick up a lot of well informed enthusiasts along the way.

A modern day M2? Mmmmm yes please.
10-27-2007, 11:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Must be smaller

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
I thought that was called the K100D/K110D.
The Olympus E-510 size and weight is much closer to what I would like to see. The live view would be nice to have also, but that's just me. As a matter of fact I was thinking of getting one because it will work with my K mount lenses but then learned Olympus didn't make the image stabilization compatible with older lenses. So it's back to waiting for that small travel camera.

Regards,
Ken
10-27-2007, 02:40 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
I have contacts within Pentax UK, I met the head of Pentax France, plus I spent a long time talking to Ben. (snip)

I seriously doubt any of those individuals would actually know about the things you wrote. Regardless, did any of those individuals specifically say the things you wrote and I quoted? If not, what you wrote is really speculation, guesswork, interpretations, or reasoning on your part, not hard facts. Since we've certainly seen enough of all that recently, and what you wrote seemed to be presented as something more, I wanted some clarification before applying too much weight to it. Thanks for providing that to this point.

stewart
10-27-2007, 04:25 PM   #26
Veteran Member

so, what you're saying stewart is that the head of Pentax France wouldn't actually know any details about what's coming out shortly in Pentax's lineup? That's just as much speculation, guesswork, etc. etc. on your part as *isteve's comments are, if you think about it.

Not that I disagree with you, we haven't seen any press releases, which would mean a lot more to me than any horn tooting going on in an internet forum. I just read the positive comments about things to come and think "it'll be nice when they announce something concrete" and move on.
10-27-2007, 09:56 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
so, what you're saying stewart is that the head of Pentax France wouldn't actually know any details about what's coming out shortly in Pentax's lineup? That's just as much speculation, guesswork, etc. etc. on your part as *isteve's comments are, if you think about it. (snip)

Never said anything of the sort, Dan. Actually, my comment was that I doubted those individuals would know the things Steve wrote. I then asked whether those individuals had specifically said those things. And my doubts are not based on just speculation or guesswork. Instead, they're based on my knowledge of the industry derived from working directly as a marketing rep, marketing manager, or regional sales manager, here in Europe for several Japanese manufacturers (including Pentax as a marketing rep years ago). Regardless, even with that, I did not say what the head of Pentax France did or did not know. Instead, I simply expressed sincere doubts and asked.

stewart
10-27-2007, 11:08 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Never said anything of the sort, Dan. Actually, my comment was that I doubted those individuals would know the things Steve wrote. I then asked whether those individuals had specifically said those things. And my doubts are not based on just speculation or guesswork. Instead, they're based on my knowledge of the industry derived from working directly as a marketing rep, marketing manager, or regional sales manager, here in Europe for several Japanese manufacturers (including Pentax as a marketing rep years ago). Regardless, even with that, I did not say what the head of Pentax France did or did not know. Instead, I simply expressed sincere doubts and asked.

stewart
At the end of the day, none of us will know for sure whats coming until the engineers finalise the specifications of the new camera. However I think the Pentax contacts I have know for sure when they are happy or not with Hoya, whether the new sensor is the Sony one, and when we will get more info. I will not reveal who I heard what from because I said I would not, so you can take everything I said as informed speculation and thats fine.
10-28-2007, 02:14 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
The Olympus E-510 size and weight is much closer to what I would like to see. The live view would be nice to have also, but that's just me. As a matter of fact I was thinking of getting one because it will work with my K mount lenses but then learned Olympus didn't make the image stabilization compatible with older lenses. So it's back to waiting for that small travel camera.
Unfortunately, the Oympus uses 4/3-system which means that the sensor is physically smaller so prism and shake reduction system can be reduced in size compared to Pentax and this makes the body smaller. But I agree with you that small size is nice, that is why I'm keeping my *ist DS.
I felt a bit tempted by the new Panasonic L10, from looks and specification it seemed quite fun for a family camera, but then I learned that the price was above my K10D and it gives less (no built-in shake reduction, no weather sealing, less customisation and advanced features, it is more like a re-work of the Olympus E-410, which sells for less...).
10-28-2007, 02:17 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Stewart, beleive the head of Pentax local office usally know what's comming shortly after. Maybe not at this time, it is early but they DO know weeks before the announcement.

My local camera store has a very good contact with Pentax (well he's about the only of the city carrying and actually pushing Pentax so it normal). Yesteryear I gave him a press release "not released yet" if you see what I mean.

He asked if he could keep it and said yes. He showed to Belgium (or was it Benelux I dunno) Pentax head and she said "Where the heck did you find that paper?". It was a couple weeks BEFORE the actual press release. LOL
Those head DO know but they are very strictly forbidden to say or leak anything. If they do they will lose their job VERY quickly.